The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SeanFM
For now.. wait till you study it in detail and it becomes more abstract :tongue:

Do you stuff like areal and baycentric coordinates in uni? Or stuff like inversion?
Yeh i guess i will get raped at uni enough by statistics so hoping sets groups n stuff can save my ass.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Do you stuff like areal and baycentric coordinates in uni? Or stuff like inversion?
Yeh i guess i will get raped at uni enough by statistics so hoping sets groups n stuff can save my ass.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:naughty: there's applied stuff you have to study at uni too you know! And in terms of difficulty, stats will most likely be the easiest module you study. (whether it's interesting or not is up to you)

I avoid pure maths if I can help it :hand: so haven't seen those things :redface:
Original post by SeanFM
:naughty: there's applied stuff you have to study at uni too you know! And in terms of difficulty, stats will most likely be the easiest module you study. (whether it's interesting or not is up to you)

I avoid pure maths if I can help it :hand: so haven't seen those things :redface:

At least applied stuff at uni is (so far) just like normal stuff at A Level. Well I got probability modules which are pretty much just S1 and S2 plus some slightly formal theory of outcome spaces and all that but they're technically run by the stats department anyway so whatever
Original post by SeanFM

It will be interesting I think as it will be probability as that will b the only compulsary module I will have to do.
Although pure is harder then stats i normally tend to do much better at pure since i enjoy it(hence put more time and effort in to understanding stuff) and stats well you will see my grades in august, already killing it with a E in S2 😂.
I imagine uni is much more better then a level stats, atleast one can hope.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
At least applied stuff at uni is (so far) just like normal stuff at A Level. Well I got probability modules which are pretty much just S1 and S2 plus some slightly formal theory of outcome spaces and all that but they're technically run by the stats department anyway so whatever

Exactly :tongue: my probability was a bit more like that as well, though it moved away from that after first year - we did stuff called Markov chains which was not.. overly challenging mathematically but you have to know what's going on :tongue: and the stats modules tried to include some computing (using R) and had coursework based on that.

It will be interesting I think as it will be probability as that will b the only compulsary module I will have to do.
Although pure is harder then stats i normally tend to do much better at pure since i enjoy it(hence put more time and effort in to understanding stuff) and stats well you will see my grades in august, already killing it with a E in S2 😂.
I imagine uni is much more better then a level stats, atleast one can hope.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right.. well I really hope you enjoy analysis/algebra then :lol: rather than regretting them and wishing you'd picked stats :tongue: I'm guessing you don't bother with stats in STEP then? :s-smilie:

A-level is just knowing/remembering a lot of distributions and tests and stuff, but just like other areas of maths at uni you get introduced to theorems and you might even have to do some computing alongside it (though I guess you can choose to do that weird computing module at Cambridge anyway).
Original post by SeanFM
Exactly :tongue: my probability was a bit more like that as well, though it moved away from that after first year - we did stuff called Markov chains which was not.. overly challenging mathematically but you have to know what's going on :tongue: and the stats modules tried to include some computing (using R) and had coursework based on that.

I love probability problems to be honest, they are quite intuitive (I still regret not looking at stats questions till near the end when I sat STEP, could have been knocking on the door of an S lol). So does it get more "problem-solvey" or more theoretical? I don't mind the theory and definitions and all but they don't exactly rivet me.
Original post by SeanFM

Right.. well I really hope you enjoy analysis/algebra then :lol: rather than regretting them and wishing you'd picked stats :tongue: I'm guessing you don't bother with stats in STEP then? :s-smilie:

A-level is just knowing/remembering a lot of distributions and tests and stuff, but just like other areas of maths at uni you get introduced to theorems and you might even have to do some computing alongside it (though I guess you can choose to do that weird computing module at Cambridge anyway).

Lol na i still do step stats haha. But only as a back up if a pure or **** or boring. I can take pure probability and distriburion problems in step altho sometimes stats is error prone as one little case miss and your off on the whole question which is why they cna be easy and wuick yet sometimes fatal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love probability problems to be honest, they are quite intuitive (I still regret not looking at stats questions till near the end when I sat STEP, could have been knocking on the door of an S lol). So does it get more "problem-solvey" or more theoretical? I don't mind the theory and definitions and all but they don't exactly rivet me.

:s-smilie: as I too have discovered this semester, leaving things till the end isn't a good idea :tongue: so I feel your pain. But hey ho, it's not really something you jot down on applications (or is it? :s-smilie:) and A*A*A*A* or whatever you got is much more important/impressive in the grand scheme of things :tongue:

:erm: at my uni they try to have 'accessible marks' for numpties like me which are either straightforward calculations that anyone that's gone to lectures / looked at past paper definitions, plus proving stuff that you get in lecture notes or just stating definitions, and if you get that all right you're looking at maybe 30-40% of the paper :tongue: then the rest is mostly theory and that doesn't seem to change much between units or years.

But in another sense, with probability you'll see more problem solving than other applied units, and as contrived as the problems may be, you see their uses and apply them rather than studying lots of theory.

Lol na i still do step stats haha. But only as a back up if a pure or **** or boring. I can take pure probability and distriburion problems in step altho sometimes stats is error prone as one little case miss and your off on the whole question which is why they cna be easy and wuick yet sometimes fatal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lol: I see, you've got it all under control then. I'm not familiar with the course or what you'd be studying but as long as you can solve those stats problems in STEP 1 or whatever, you should be fine to start with.
Original post by SeanFM
:s-smilie: as I too have discovered this semester, leaving things till the end isn't a good idea :tongue: so I feel your pain. But hey ho, it's not really something you jot down on applications (or is it? :s-smilie:) and A*A*A*A* or whatever you got is much more important/impressive in the grand scheme of things :tongue:

:erm: at my uni they try to have 'accessible marks' for numpties like me which are either straightforward calculations that anyone that's gone to lectures / looked at past paper definitions, plus proving stuff that you get in lecture notes or just stating definitions, and if you get that all right you're looking at maybe 30-40% of the paper :tongue: then the rest is mostly theory and that doesn't seem to change much between units or years.

But in another sense, with probability you'll see more problem solving than other applied units, and as contrived as the problems may be, you see their uses and apply them rather than studying lots of theory.

Yeah that's not a big deal to me, just something that came to mind. :smile:

Well yeah that's how nearly all the maths exams go this year, a 40% compulsory pass section and then not so easy stuff. Exceptions are Intro to Geometry and Linear Algebra I think, but those are lovely anyway. In Differential Equations I'm riding purely on the compulsory section pretty much...my first genuinely terrible non-mock exam lol.

Ah cool.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah that's not a big deal to me, just something that came to mind. :smile:

Well yeah that's how nearly all the maths exams go this year, a 40% compulsory pass section and then not so easy stuff. Exceptions are Intro to Geometry and Linear Algebra I think, but those are lovely anyway. In Differential Equations I'm riding purely on the compulsory section pretty much...my first genuinely terrible non-mock exam lol.

Ah cool.

I see, that is good news for.. everyone taking it then :tongue: did you have some kind of coursework that bumps up your DE grade anyway? (and you'll never know how much you get :tongue: I genuinely thought I failed some units last semester but scraped a pass. :borat: not great but it'll do the trick. Bloody annoyed that Analysis 2B (a unit in second year, second semester) is no longer going to be compulsory when it'll probably be a 40/50 on my degree transcript but what can you do :tongue: avoid Analysis at all costs! :woo:
Original post by SeanFM
I see, that is good news for.. everyone taking it then :tongue: did you have some kind of coursework that bumps up your DE grade anyway? (and you'll never know how much you get :tongue: I genuinely thought I failed some units last semester but scraped a pass. :borat: not great but it'll do the trick. Bloody annoyed that Analysis 2B (a unit in second year, second semester) is no longer going to be compulsory when it'll probably be a 40/50 on my degree transcript but what can you do :tongue: avoid Analysis at all costs! :woo:

Yeah but not much. 15% of the module which I got most of the marks in, probably something like 13%. So if I got say 50 in the exam it'd go up to 55 for instance, nothing of great consequence. But there was a mistake in the exam and last year apparently marks were scaled by 30%, this year was harder. I take it you mean 40% to 50% as 40 out of 50 sounds quite good lol. Our Analysis II papers can be monstrous. Some of the second years who helped with Analysis I back in the day were discussing their marks and folks getting like 100% in some modules and 80s and 90s would get like 50 something in Analysis II. I do love analysis in a weird way though. Just not taylor theorem stuff, that is mind-numbingly dull.
Yeah but not much. 15% of the module which I got most of the marks in, probably something like 13%. So if I got say 50 in the exam it'd go up to 55 for instance, nothing of great consequence. But there was a mistake in the exam and last year apparently marks were scaled by 30%, this year was harder. I take it you mean 40% to 50% as 40 out of 50 sounds quite good lol. Our Analysis II papers can be monstrous. Some of the second years who helped with Analysis I back in the day were discussing their marks and folks getting like 100% in some modules and 80s and 90s would get like 50 something in Analysis II. I do love analysis in a weird way though. Just not taylor theorem stuff, that is mind-numbingly dull.

See, there is hope for your exam then :tongue: you could end up doing pretty well, if it's a difficult exam and there was a mistake. I've only had one like that which was scaled up due to being far too difficult, which I thought went disastrously but got an ok grade in it so there is hope :tongue:

:moon: feels like ages ago that you did Analysis 1, eh? :tongue: You've got a heads up then, don't do a unit (though knowing Warwick it's probably compulsory :s-smilie:) that these buster gonads are getting 50s in :tongue:

:hmmmm2: I don't think I'll ever understand that then :tongue: it's all mind-numbingly dull to me. :s-smilie: I'm happy to find the Riemann integral of a constant function any day of the week though. :hat2:
Original post by SeanFM
See, there is hope for your exam then :tongue: you could end up doing pretty well, if it's a difficult exam and there was a mistake. I've only had one like that which was scaled up due to being far too difficult, which I thought went disastrously but got an ok grade in it so there is hope :tongue:

:moon: feels like ages ago that you did Analysis 1, eh? :tongue: You've got a heads up then, don't do a unit (though knowing Warwick it's probably compulsory :s-smilie:) that these buster gonads are getting 50s in :tongue:

:hmmmm2: I don't think I'll ever understand that then :tongue: it's all mind-numbingly dull to me. :s-smilie: I'm happy to find the Riemann integral of a constant function any day of the week though. :hat2:

Yeah if I got 50 in the exam and just that is scaled up by 30 then combined with the coursework I'd be on a high 2:1 lol. But in general first year here seems about getting super marks, most people get firsts or high 2:1s and second year is where things get hard.

Nah Analysis II is on June 10th lol and is compulsory. (that exam is worth 60% of the 24 CAT Analysis module). All on continuity, differentiability, that kind of thing.

I just find it quite therapeutically abstract and a lot of it feels like a game, "can you find the right delta for particular epsilon?!" and the like..
Yeah if I got 50 in the exam and just that is scaled up by 30 then combined with the coursework I'd be on a high 2:1 lol. But in general first year here seems about getting super marks, most people get firsts or high 2:1s and second year is where things get hard.

Nah Analysis II is on June 10th lol and is compulsory. (that exam is worth 60% of the 24 CAT Analysis module). All on continuity, differentiability, that kind of thing.

I just find it quite therapeutically abstract and a lot of it feels like a game, "can you find the right delta for particular epsilon?!" and the like..

That'd be pretty good :tongue: yeah, something useful to have (2:1 or 1st) if you're applying for placements. (But I remember that you said that you don't feel great in workplaces and doing things.. maybe this can change with some practice? :redface:) as well as nailing study techniques and exams and stuff like that.

:eek4: not long to go then. Hope you are feeling prepared (and getting enough sleep..!)

:toofunny: that is genuinely a brilliant way of thinking about it :tongue: that would've made exams so much more fun.
Original post by SeanFM
That'd be pretty good :tongue: yeah, something useful to have (2:1 or 1st) if you're applying for placements. (But I remember that you said that you don't feel great in workplaces and doing things.. maybe this can change with some practice? :redface:) as well as nailing study techniques and exams and stuff like that.

:eek4: not long to go then. Hope you are feeling prepared (and getting enough sleep..!)

:toofunny: that is genuinely a brilliant way of thinking about it :tongue: that would've made exams so much more fun.

Haven't thought about that tbh. Just feel I need a good set of results to be confident going into next year.

I've been getting to sleep at an orderly time until tonight for some reason, just not tired. Only had three exams so far. 7 to go. Thankfully 3 of them are just an hour long.

That's how abstract algebra was like today, piece of cake pretty much...lecturer is great and hilarious and sets the nicest papers too...
On the madasmaths site are the individual topic folders just full of questions ripped from the IYGB exams or are they different?
https://07a69ccf283966549a9350d1a66951a7bc96e2dc.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZ0JQM1NRcmdHdXM/June%202013%20(Withdrawn)%20QP%20-%20C3%20Edexcel.pdf

for question 6b how would I do this question?
so far I did ff(0)=5 but I dont understand what the mark scheme is saying
Original post by imran_
https://07a69ccf283966549a9350d1a66951a7bc96e2dc.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZ0JQM1NRcmdHdXM/June%202013%20(Withdrawn)%20QP%20-%20C3%20Edexcel.pdf

for question 6b how would I do this question?
so far I did ff(0)=5 but I dont understand what the mark scheme is saying

Ff(0)=5 using the first half of the curve, then when f(5), x is 5 you use the second half of the curve as X>4.
Original post by Middriver
Ff(0)=5 using the first half of the curve, then when f(5), x is 5 you use the second half of the curve as X>4.

so when x=5 I sub it into the the other formula?
Original post by imran_
so when x=5 I sub it into the the other formula?

Yes as the domain is X>4.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending