The Student Room Group

Are Public Schools such as Eton and Harrow a blight on British society?

I would like to know what people think of this.

I personally don't think they're a blight on British society and i am for the argument that public schools should be used as a template for which other schools should attempt to copy.

Scroll to see replies

No they are not.
Reply 2
Original post by Jazzy Foot
No they are not.

What are your reasonings for this?
Without them, we'd not have nearly as many fine Sky TV shows. I say let them stay.
Not . What ARE a blight on our society are all the Muslim schools,indoctrinating them with their shite, which leads them to grow up and hate us.
public schools should not exist, why should one child be entitled to a better education than an other, just because of the wealth/achievements of their parents?
Original post by KingKoala
public schools should not exist, why should one child be entitled to a better education than an other, just because of the wealth/achievements of their parents?

This.

I don't see how any sane person could disagree with this point. It pretty much starts and ends there
Reply 7
Original post by MalayHKG
I would like to know what people think of this.

I personally don't think they're a blight on British society and i am for the argument that public schools should be used as a template for which other schools should attempt to copy.

Didnt prince william go to eton, i thought it was a privite school?
So if that the case princewilliam is not to bright.

Why should any person be entitled to a better anything than another person? That's the argument you're forming here.

We live in a capitalist society where you can spend your money on what you like.

It's nothing to do with entitlement. It's simply a question of resources. If your parents have more money, they can acquire more services, and education for one's children is pretty much the most legitimate thing to spend money on there is.

It's perfectly proper to say that everyone should contribute to the provision of state education for kids, but if parents want to make alternative arrangements that's entirely up to them.
Original post by raq123
Didnt prince william go to eton, i thought it was a privite school?
So if that the case princewilliam is not to bright.

Yeah but he only got A, B and a C at alevel for a 200k education.
Reply 11

That applies with all fee paying schools. However, for the minority of students who go to these places on a bursary the benefits they receive are endless and significantly more than what they'd receive at a state school.

Society will always be a place where the wealthy dominate. Take a look at our cabinet ministers and our Prime Minister. 50% went to Oxbridge wit the majority going to public and independent schools like Eton.
Keep em. Watching all those pompous ***** is bloody hilarious.

But I have to admit a very small minority that I know are very hard workers that have won scholarships or have well off parents that are ordinary guys
Reply 13
I would not have thought so

You admit that public schools give better education.

Then you argue that a child should be given a worse education, presumably because that makes them "equal."

You don't mind giving people a worse education - as long as everyone gets an equally bad level of education. Classic.

SS
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MalayHKG
What are your reasonings for this?

How exactly are they are a blight? They educate some of the finest young minds in the country and will send on their students to the best universities and into the best professions. Many will anger at the money that is paid to attend say Eton but they are also generous with scholarships for those who warrant them. If you have the money to spend then you should be able to send your children to the best if that's what you desire. Having schools like Eton also act as a beacon of inspiration to other schools wanting to improve and raise their game to reach those standards too.

The day the likes of Rugby, Harrow and Eton cease to exist will be the same day Hell freezes over.
[QUOTE="callum_law;62271941"]Why should any person be entitled to a better anything than another person? That's the argument you're forming here.

We live in a capitalist society where you can spend your money on what you like.[/QUOTE

Yes, however I believe there are certain things which people should not be limited too because of lack of resources/money. Education is one of them. Everyone should be given an equal shot of making something brilliant of their lives and not be held back due to their parents situation.

You're perfectly entitled to hold that view, but how would our state school system cope if the number of pupils it had to educate increased by 8%?

Also, the argument you're putting forward looks like a 'mediocrity for all' argument.
Original post by Josh Lyman
Yeah but he only got A, B and a C at alevel for a 200k education.

Grade inflation wasn't as pervasive back then as it is now, youngling.
Original post by markova21
Not . What ARE a blight on our society are all the Muslim schools,indoctrinating them with their shite, which leads them to grow up and hate us.

Looks like somebody got off the wrong side of their bed today.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending