The Student Room Group

Received offers from Lancaster, Manchester and Sheffield (History)

If this is on the wrong board then by all means, move it to somewhere more appropriate.

I've received offers from the aforementioned Unis. Am still waiting to hear from Bristol and Durham.

On the basis of location alone, I'm strongly leaning towards Lancaster. I grew up in Manchester and have had many an enjoyable time in Sheffield. However, I'm getting old now and am way past the allure of "student life".

My primary focuses are standard of teaching, quality of research and strength of reputation. Particularly insofar as international reputation is concerned as my fiancée is doing her PhD in Holland and chances are, I'll probably end up on the continent myself.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by BenjaminDonkey
If this is on the wrong board then by all means, move it to somewhere more appropriate.

I've received offers from the aforementioned Unis. Am still waiting to hear from Bristol and Durham.

On the basis of location alone, I'm strongly leaning towards Lancaster. I grew up in Manchester and have had many an enjoyable time in Sheffield. However, I'm getting old now and am way past the allure of "student life".

My primary focuses are standard of teaching, quality of research and strength of reputation. Particularly insofar as international reputation is concerned as my fiancée is doing her PhD in Holland and chances are, I'll probably end up on the continent myself.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Of the three offers you have received, Lancaster is rated highest, albeit not Russell Group. However, Durham and Bristol are rated higher, respectively, so my top 3 would be Durham, Bristol, Lancaster.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks for the prompt response.

By what criteria?

I've read the tables myself and Lancaster looks good... Just wondering if your opinion is based on something you've learned through other means.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending