The Student Room Group

Non-academic reference for masters

Hi,
As a mature, OU student I have very little contact with my tutors. The OU has given me an academic reference, but my other reference will probably have to be from an employer.

Obviously this will be a bit different than asking for a professional reference, can people give me a brief outline as to what the application team will be looking for?

Many thanks,
Emma
First, check with your uni if they're happy with a ref from your employer because they're looking for your potential to do well in your subject and academic potential rather than your potential as an employee. If they aren't then you'll have to look for a second academic ref. I'm not sure what you mean by professional ref. Something from an employer is a professional ref and something from a tutor is an academic ref.
Reply 2
Thanks, you are correct, employer reference is what I meant. I spoke with one of the application team at an open day and they will accept an employer reference but would prefer an academic one. I've asked my 2 current OU tutors, but since they've both met me just once for a tutorial and marked a couple of assessments they may not be happy to provide one.

My employer reference will be as a full-time software developer working for a financial services company, so hopefully should carry some weight.

Thanks again.
Original post by elw71

They'll be looking for a reference that covers your potential for hard work, focus, meeting deadlines, logical thinking, construction or persuasive arguments etc. It's really not that different, apart from the context, so the referee might not be able to comment on your knowledge of Horace or sub-atomic particles, but hopefully they can support your relevant 'soft skills' as being strong.

Do give your Referee as much guidance as you can about what the OU will be looking for. If the OU don't give any guidance, then you need to have steared them in the right direction. You don't have to suggest whether you are adequate or excellent, just that they will want to know about hard work, focus, logical thinking etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending