The Student Room Group

ESA and student status

Hey everyone, I am wondering if any of you can offer some advice or have any experience in claiming ESA as a student?

I was claiming it but following the work capability assessment in September was deemed fine and ineligible for ESA. Finally last week I had the tribunal, who did not take long in overthrowing the decision, saying that I should have been entitled to it. My GP has totally supported this with back dated and continuing sick notes.

I know I can claim ESA as a student due to being in receipt of PIP.

Now DWP are asking for information regarding the SAAS loans, bursaries etc all else that I receive. I don't get my tuition fees paid for me, so although I receive the max student loan almost 2k of that has to go towards fees.

Has anyone else claimed ESA as a student - I'm mostly trying to find out what impact the SAAS loan will have, if it dents the amount I could receive etc. so if anyone else has been through it I'd love to hear!
Some of your loan is disregarded as income.

I've not claimed ESA as a student, but there are people on here who have.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Some of your loan is disregarded as income.

I've not claimed ESA as a student, but there are people on here who have.

Do you know what proportion is considered income, and the likely effect it will have on the amount paid?
Original post by iamemmawilson
Do you know what proportion is considered income, and the likely effect it will have on the amount paid?

They take the whole of your loan into account, whether you take it or not. It's then something like £10 a week is disregarded for travel and £303 is disregarded for books.

I have a feeling it goes up with inflation. Your bursary is also taken into account.

Quick Reply