The Student Room Group

Chittesh's road to GCSE success! V2 _2016_

Hello guys, here is my blog on my progress of my GCSE Grades.
First of all, I took part in this competition of 'Grow your grades' to actually share my progress, techniques, skills with others and also to collaborate with others!

I am aiming for mostly all A*'s in my GCSEs, obviously aim for the highest. I don't know why I think i'll never get it, just usually am lazy and pessimistic.

Here are a list of the GCSEs I've taken:

GCSE Maths (Completed - A*)

GCSE English Language

GCSE English Literature

GCSE Physics - Triple Science

GCSE Chemistry - Triple Science

GCSE Biology - Triple Science

GCSE RE

GCSE Computer Science

GCSE Graphics

GCSE Geography

Target Grades (Calculated from KS3 Sats Results) and Projected Grades:

GCSE Maths (Target) - Grade B (Projected) - got Grade A*

GCSE English (Target) - Grade C (Projected) - Grade C1

GCSE English Literature: (Target) - Grade C (Projected) - Grade C1

GCSE Chemistry (Target) - Grade B (Projected) - Grade A

GCSE Physics (Target) - Grade B (Projected) - Grade A

GCSE Biology (Target) - Grade B (Projected) - Grade A

GCSE RE (Target) - Grade B (Projected) - Grade A

GCSE Computer Science (Target) - Grade B (Projected) - Grade A

GCSE Graphics (Target) - Grade C (Projected) - Grade E

GCSE Geography (Target) - Grade B (Projected) - Grade B

Exam Boards for Each GCSE:

GCSE Maths - Edexcel A (Linear)

GCSE English Language - AQA

GCSE English Literature - AQA

GCSE Physics - Triple Science - OCR B

GCSE Chemistry - Triple Science - OCR B

GCSE Biology - Triple Science - OCR B

GCSE RE - Edexcel Unit 1 & Unit 8

GCSE Computer Science - OCR

GCSE Graphics - Edexcel

GCSE Geography - Edexcel B

The GCSE's that were compulsory for me to take were: GCSE Maths, GCSE English Language & Literature, GCSE Physics, GCSE Chemistry, GCSE Biology and GCSE RE. I chose Triple Science as I wanted to challenge myself and I think I can achieve good grades, if I work hard which I don't and am now going to! This is also why I've made this thread, to get more motivation and achieve my grades!

Some information about me is, I love maths - it is my favourite subject. I took GCSE Maths in Year 10 (2015) and got A*. I'm still in the middle of a decision whether to carry on with AS level Maths and just learn it or finish it and take the exams this year or as an alternative - take the Further Maths Level 2 GCSE course. I am still lazy and revise one day before the exams - but this is going to change! My brother got A* in GCSE Physics and Maths, so it'll be an advantage for me.

Next week, I am going to make a revision timetable - for the 11th time -_-.
I had mocks recently and surprisingly performed well in them. :O

December Mock Results:

AS Level Maths - B

GCSE English Language - B

GCSE Physics - A*

GCSE Chemistry - A

GCSE Biology - A*

GCSE RE - A

GCSE Computer Science - A

GCSE Graphics - E

GCSE Geography - C

Mock Performance Analysis:

In terms of the AS Level Maths mock:
I hadn't finished the content and had just got a full past paper - in terms of what I had revised & understood, I got 55/57.

I was really happy with my English Language mock - surprisingly I had got a B even though I didn't finish the last question and I read the 5th question incorrectly.

Chemistry - 1 mark away from A*.
RE - scraped the A (75 was A and I got exactly 75)
Graphics - Done some homework now at a C/D.
Geography - 5 marks off a B, again surprised - didn't revise at all.

Thanks for reading my thread, I assure you that I will update this thread everyday from 30/01/2016 with something new and that includes: What subjects I revised (& how long for), if I developed a revision spreadsheet, done a past paper/marked it (& percentage/grade) etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hopefully the blog helps you to revise as you go rather than leaving it till the last minute - then you'll do much better :tongue:

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Hopefully the blog helps you to revise as you go rather than leaving it till the last minute - then you'll do much better :tongue:

Good luck!

Thank you :smile:.

Do you think it's too late to start revising now to get all As and A*s?
I am definitely going to start revising at the start of February like next week, but what I feel is that I won't end up finishing the content... :/
Original post by Chittesh14
Thank you :smile:.

Do you think it's too late to start revising now to get all As and A*s?
I am definitely going to start revising at the start of February like next week, but what I feel is that I won't end up finishing the content... :/

Oh no, I think there is plenty of time :h:. If you go over the old stuff alongside the stuff you're being taught, and have plenty of time left over for past papers, then you shold be fine. :h:
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
Oh no, I think there is plenty of time :h:. If you go over the old stuff alongside the stuff you're being taught, and have plenty of time left over for past papers, then you shold be fine. :h:

That's the problem, I never revised for any old tests or anything except Chemistry sometimes.
I'm finding it hard even on the easiest modules to memorise the information - some are easy - some are hard.
Good Luck!!! :smile: I'm sure you will do amazing in the end!!!
That's the problem, I never revised for any old tests or anything except Chemistry sometimes.
I'm finding it hard even on the easiest modules to memorise the information - some are easy - some are hard.

Maybe you need to change your technique - read it through, then write out key bits of information, and answer questions based on them?

It'll be the difference between getting loads of A*s and getting lower.
Reply 7

Hi. I wrote igcse in 2014. It's not very difficult just make sure to learn with your syllabus. Make sure you have an understanding of the work you're doing as well as a good memorisation of the work

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by SeanFM
Maybe you need to change your technique - read it through, then write out key bits of information, and answer questions based on them?

It'll be the difference between getting loads of A*s and getting lower.

Thank you :smile:, might have to do that.
But I hate writing notes because I get fed up of reading pages and pages of my own handwriting lol.
Reply 9
Original post by {BLANK}
Hi. I wrote igcse in 2014. It's not very difficult just make sure to learn with your syllabus. Make sure you have an understanding of the work you're doing as well as a good memorisation of the work

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, thanks :P yeah I guess I lack understanding possibly.
I am doing GCSE though and not iGCSE but I doubt there is much of a difference.
Thank you :smile:, might have to do that.
But I hate writing notes because I get fed up of reading pages and pages of my own handwriting lol.

I write notes but never read them after being written - for me it's more the process of writing them, I have to think about them before and during writing them. Luckily I study Maths so it's more practice than notes but.. :redface:
Original post by SeanFM
I write notes but never read them after being written - for me it's more the process of writing them, I have to think about them before and during writing them. Luckily I study Maths so it's more practice than notes but.. :redface:

Oh right lol :P. That's cool, I might start that soon :smile:.
Do you study Maths at university?
Oh right lol :P. That's cool, I might start that soon :smile:.
Do you study Maths at university?

Yes I do :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending