The Student Room Group

Friend facing prison for not paying bus fare?

Hi

One of our friends was caught on the bus without a valid ticket by the inspector, not only was he travelling in the wrong travel zone, because he had failed to get off the bus earlier, he had been caught with a fake photocopied bus discount card.

He was held at the bus terminus and arrested by "The Police" he was given a court date and bailed until then.
He had been told by the solicitor that he could end up having to do some prison time. That's quite harsh.

If he is sent to do time, what will it be like for a first time petty offender?

Will it be a cat A prison?

Will he be allowed to time in an open prison towards the end of his sentence?

What about prison gangs? I've heard membership is mandatory for personal safety gangs like Locks Massive or Arran Brotherhood. Will he have to get a tattoo?

Will the record and having done bird affect his job possibilities?

His sister is petrified of him getting put inside and has asked these questions, she has been looking up various youtube videos about it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Going to prison for an Oystercard offence, how embarrassing..

Maybe he should get a tattoo of his Oystercard mugshot.
sorry i don't give marks for effort
I doubt he'll get locked up as a first time non-violent offender.

Check this story out from last year about someone who wasn't

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3254867/International-lawyer-head-respected-think-tank-dodged-20-000-rail-fares-Oyster-card-scam-says-repay-6-000.html
Original post by JamesN88
I doubt he'll get locked up as a first time non-violent offender.

Check this story out from last year about someone who wasn't

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3254867/International-lawyer-head-respected-think-tank-dodged-20-000-rail-fares-Oyster-card-scam-says-repay-6-000.html

But he was probably able to get a brilliant solicitor and he still got a suspended sentence.
That's insane, a fine at most! What is the world coming to???
Tell him not to drop the soap

Spoiler

Original post by Ambitious1999
But he was probably able to get a brilliant solicitor and he still got a suspended sentence.

What I'm mean is I can't imagine dodging a bus fare amounts to anything near what this guy stole and he still didn't go to prison. Regardless of how good or bad his solicitor was there's no hiding the fact that he defrauded them out of 20k.

Latest

Trending

Trending