The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
That's what I'm going to do, write down my texts and make a note of what kind of essays they are suited to. That's actually a really obvious idea, but I haven't done that!
Reply 21
Ive got 6 Quotes for The Crucible and 9 For The Catcher and the Rye... I know them all off by heart since I havnt changed them since prelim time :P
Reply 22
Cirrus
If Critical Essays are your weak point I suggest you spend your time revising your English notes rather than reading How To Pass Higher English which isn't that great for essays I feel. Make sure you know your quotes off by heart as well as full analysis for them and you should do fine.

I found how to pass higher english pretty good. I wouldn't advise reading all the stuff on essays since loads of it is on how many texts and isn't really relevant, but theres a list of things to remember when writing essays which I found very useful. But I was getting my essays from fail to pass, not C to A
Reply 23
Euan_hmfc
Anyone got any tips on how to learn quotes? A quick answer would be appreciated, I really need to start learning them. I've only had to learn 10 before in my English career. For the record, my texts are "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie", "The Crucible" and "In the Snackbar".

in the words of nike..

just do it!!!
(you wont learn them on SR... :rolleyes: )
Reply 24
In lord of the flies is the death of simon a key incident
Reply 25
same jeans
In lord of the flies is the death of simon a key incident

Yeah I would say so. Simon is symbolic of pure goodness and innocence, portrayed as almost Christ-like. He's also killed when bringing the news that the Beast is not a physical being, but rather the evil which resides within humankind, which signifies that society in general doesn't want to acknowledge the fact that evil exists within us all.

Or at least that's what my notes tell me. I did it for my personal study. :smile:
I have them... I just can't remember them off bat...
Reply 27
im doing
animal farm - george orwell
the jaguar, wind & view of a pig - ted hughes
storm on the island - seamus heaney
educating rita - willy russel

animal farm is so hard

i basically wrote out a summary sheet and a vital qoute for each stanza
then for educating rita i wrote out qoutes from 3 key sceens

hope that helps !
Reply 28
kimbersxx
im doing
animal farm - george orwell
the jaguar, wind & view of a pig - ted hughes
storm on the island - seamus heaney
educating rita - willy russel

animal farm is so hard

i basically wrote out a summary sheet and a vital qoute for each stanza
then for educating rita i wrote out qoutes from 3 key sceens

hope that helps !

You do realise the OP sat Higher English two years ago?!
Reply 29
knack
You do realise the OP sat Higher English two years ago?!

not till after i wrote it
Sammi22
Yeah I would say so. Simon is symbolic of pure goodness and innocence, portrayed as almost Christ-like. He's also killed when bringing the news that the Beast is not a physical being, but rather the evil which resides within humankind, which signifies that society in general doesn't want to acknowledge the fact that evil exists within us all.

Or at least that's what my notes tell me. I did it for my personal study. :smile:

Could the killing of Piggy also be percieved as a key incident as it is here that marks the beginning of the end, evil prevailing over good, anarchy over democracy. Furthermore parallel to this killing, the conch smashes, which symbolically represents law and order, and on breaking, this order disintegrates rapidly.

Sorry there ha, started analysing stuff there out loud whilst asking a question. I just ask because, on seeing the simon thing, ive realised i completely forgot to hone in on this scene, and now worried about a key incident or question of similiar style. So could i be good to go with using Piggys death instead?
Got the results of my second prelim today. Pretty demoralising actually. Got 62% in total, which is down 4-5% from the first one, but only got 26 for the essays. :frown: Can't wait until Friday is over.
Reply 32
AlbionBlaine
Could the killing of Piggy also be percieved as a key incident as it is here that marks the beginning of the end, evil prevailing over good, anarchy over democracy. Furthermore parallel to this killing, the conch smashes, which symbolically represents law and order, and on breaking, this order disintegrates rapidly.

Sorry there ha, started analysing stuff there out loud whilst asking a question. I just ask because, on seeing the simon thing, ive realised i completely forgot to hone in on this scene, and now worried about a key incident or question of similiar style. So could i be good to go with using Piggys death instead?

I hope so, because I've done exactly the same thing as you. My teacher was talking about it today and he was saying that Piggy's death conveys the theme of the savagery of mankind, but then, so does Simon's...aaargh