The Student Room Group

Retaking once at uni?

I'm pretty sure its not possible... but lets say I drop to a B for maths (which is fine because i only need a B to go to leeds), and so alls good and I go to leeds - is it possible to then retake P3 and boost my mark to an A next january, once im at university? or to go to university do you have to kind of cash in the grade and not be able to change it again?

Sorry that was a long winded way of explaining what I mean but i hope you catch my drift... ?
Reply 1
emma_
I'm pretty sure its not possible... but lets say I drop to a B for maths (which is fine because i only need a B to go to leeds), and so alls good and I go to leeds - is it possible to then retake P3 and boost my mark to an A next january, once im at university? or to go to university do you have to kind of cash in the grade and not be able to change it again?

Sorry that was a long winded way of explaining what I mean but i hope you catch my drift... ?

i think to be able to give the grades you got to the unis that you have got offers from you have to accept your grades. at the end of AS's we were asked if we wanted to accept or decline our grades - to be able to resit a module we had to decline the overall grade for that subject. i dont know about resitting once at uni - maybe a question you could direct at the leeds admin people?
Reply 2
noggin
i think to be able to give the grades you got to the unis that you have got offers from you have to accept your grades. at the end of AS's we were asked if we wanted to accept or decline our grades - to be able to resit a module we had to decline the overall grade for that subject. i dont know about resitting once at uni - maybe a question you could direct at the leeds admin people?

hmmm yea i see what you mean, thanks :smile:

I guess if i do get a B I could always mention it to Leeds and ask them, no harm!
Reply 3
i think you can. becos i think its about aggregating grades. if you get a B overall, u can aggregate ur grades for uni, ie accept them and if u wanna put up to an A i think u can retake modules and then re aggregate ur module grades once uve got the retake modules. my school automatically aggregate ur grades then if u retake then u re aggregate. i think thats the case anyway. and plus u have to find an institution where u can do the retakes unless u go back to ur school in january.
Reply 4
yan2004
i think you can. becos i think its about aggregating grades. if you get a B overall, u can aggregate ur grades for uni, ie accept them and if u wanna put up to an A i think u can retake modules and then re aggregate ur module grades once uve got the retake modules. my school automatically aggregate ur grades then if u retake then u re aggregate. i think thats the case anyway. and plus u have to find an institution where u can do the retakes unless u go back to ur school in january.

ooooo interesting.... I guess i'm going to have to ask my school about it in case the outcome is bad!
Hmm.. I would love to retake any bad modules just to perfect my A level scores. But taking them while at Uni kinda discourages me.
Reply 6
Once a grade has been aggrigated it is yours and you can do nothing to change that. There would essentially be two possible ways of improving your results during uni...

1) Reatke all 6 modules that constitute your A-Level :eek:

2) Ask you uni if they will accept you on the merits of your seperate module scores (ie. 6 seperate modules) and then you can resit any module you like at uni to improve your grade.
Leekey
Once a grade has been aggrigated it is yours and you can do nothing to change that. There would essentially be two possible ways of improving your results during uni...

1) Reatke all 6 modules that constitute your A-Level :eek:

2) Ask you uni if they will accept you on the merits of your seperate module scores (ie. 6 seperate modules) and then you can resit any module you like at uni to improve your grade.

Hmm.. I don't quite get that.

Let's say I get a B for History, and 5As for the rest. So my uni offer is ABC, so with my 5As, I can technically get in no probs. Can I resit history then without the added complications?
Reply 8
hmmm not sure cos i think at my school they automatically aggregate ur marks. some ppl have taken gap years to retake modules and that works fine cos all they do is reaggregate their marks afterwards instead of resitting all 6 modules. id assume thatd be the same if u went to uni and u just wanted to improve ur grades. i guess u shd ask ur exams officer
Reply 9
lilsunflower
Hmm.. I don't quite get that.

Let's say I get a B for History, and 5As for the rest. So my uni offer is ABC, so with my 5As, I can technically get in no probs. Can I resit history then without the added complications?

Yep, if your uni will accept you on the basis of other results then you can simply decline your grade and then resit the appropriate modules and hopefully get that A. *Realises he does 5 A2 and only has a 3 grade offer...hmmm* :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending