The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Do you HAVE to attend open university tutorial days?

I'm going to be starting a course soon with the open uni and got an email today saying there will be a tutorial sometime soon. I have bad anxiety issues and studying at home was the only option because I'm not able to attend college or any classes due to my anxiety. Do you really have to attend? Thanks
Original post by Elli133
I'm going to be starting a course soon with the open uni and got an email today saying there will be a tutorial sometime soon. I have bad anxiety issues and studying at home was the only option because I'm not able to attend college or any classes due to my anxiety. Do you really have to attend? Thanks

No you don't usually unless it's a compulsory day school etc. But the vast majority of them are optional. Some are online too so don't have to physically go anywhere. :smile:

Have you contacted the OU about how you are going to sit exams though? They can arrange home exams but they may need medical note etc.. and time to organise. But they do make provisions for cases like that so best to get organised so less to stress about nearer the time.

ETA: What course are you doing? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply :smile: I'm going to be doing Environment: journeys through a changing world
Reply 3
in most cases it is not compulsory, but they are often quite useful so if it isn't too much of pain to get to you could always go and then bail if it is an issue for you (maybe letting your tutor know in advance that you might go suddenly if you are uncomfortable)

i have aways found the other people at OU tutorials to be nice and supportive

and definitely what the earlier poster said about exams - get it organised early if you need special arrangements
I found them useful. They're good if you need a bit of extra help. However, it's not an issue if you miss them.
Reply 5
Many of us doing OU degrees are doing so because of a damaged educational past or personal issues that are best suited to distance learning. I agree with what someone said above - contact your tutor in advance to explain you might have to leave and then go to the tutorial to see what its all about. I went to mine for U116 and they helped with my anxiety. It's ultimately up to you of course, perhaps your circumstances would actively get worse if you attended, so I'll reiterate that tutorials are not compulsory.

If you are doing the Environmental Science degree though, the level 2 module SXF206 has compulsory field schools.
The tutorials that I have attended were really pleasant, informal and had a relaxed atmosphere. Everyone has their own difficulty whether it be family, work, or social-based. The information shows that those who attend tutorials tend to do better, so it's worth making the sensory effort as well as the physical effort to attend. If anything at all, meeting your tutors once in a while helps keep the whole process in check, and will make it easier for you to contact them if you ever have any concerns (perhaps a difficult deadline).

I would try and make it to the first tutorial, and make your mind up from there. You can leave at any time, of course, although probably better to wait until the mid-session break!

Quick Reply

Latest