The Student Room Group

Passed my test, got my ford ka but now I keep on stalling

Hey all,

I've had my Ford KA for 2 days now, everythings superb but the only thing I keep doing is stalling!!! - ie when im reversing or about to join a roundabout/junction.

I've never driven in a KA until now, so that might be part of the problem?

Thanks - btw chuffed to bits i've got a car now, wow lifes different, usually it takes 1 hour 30 minutes to get home by bus, today it took just 30 minutes to get home by car!!
Reply 1
Its a new car. Its not the cars fault. Its yours. Adjust your driving style and all will be well.
Reply 2
Thanks JC

I think part of the problem may be that i need to get used to driving a KA?
Reply 3
Surely the whole problem is you need to get used to driving the KA? :p:
Reply 4
your a new driver. Getting into unfamiliar cars is weird to you.
Once you've been driving a while you will be able to adapt completely to any new car within 30 minutes.

Your problem is either one of the following or a bit of both:
1) not enough throttle
2) letting the clutch up too quickly.
Reply 5
Should be quite tricky to stall a Ka though and are harder to stall than most. My Fiesta for example is very very hard to stall.

However just remember to put the clutch all the way down to the floor and lift it up slowly, these engines don't need much power to move off so don't over rev it (some thing I keep doing still).

I must admit I have never really stalled any car because I was unfamilier with it. Its the brakes I always find to hard to adjust to.
Reply 6
I find the clutch in some cars a pain to adjust to, and also the brake, but also the throttle. OK then that's all the pedals since I've mentioned them all now anyway :smile:
Reply 7
I hate the clutch on my mum's Ka. It catches me out so often (and it's the only car I drive). OK, it is an old Ka (S-reg), but the clutch has even caught my parents out on a couple of times when it was newer.
Reply 8
Thanks everyone for your replies so far.
Find an empty car park and just practise pulling away for half an hour or so, ull soon get used to it.
Reply 10
I just tried what you said, lifting the clutch up slowing and for the first time i reversed off the drive without stalling!..:-)
Reply 11
Is it a brand new car?

If it is brand new the clutch can be a bit funny as they have a protective layer on them and other crap which makes it alot easier to stall...plus there is bugger all grip on the pedals.

If it is a second hand car done over 1000 miles, you have no excuse...its you :p:
Reply 12
just learn to find your biting point init, clutches are diff on diff cars ,e.g. in my drivnig lesson car, i have to lift it up quite a bit, but in my parents car which is differernt, you only have to lift it up a little bit to get biting point! so maybe your lifting it up to quick
I've been having lessons in a Golf and a Corsa (two different instructors) and I practised in my Fiat Punto...but then my Dad sold the Punto and bought a KA over Easter so when I came home from uni and practised I kept stalling it- it's very different to the other three cars (which I had no problem swapping between). I only went out a couple of times as I had my test when I got back to uni (I didn't want to get used to the KA only to start stalling the Corsa) but I gradually got the hang of it- bring the clutch up slowly and add more gas than you usually would. Go practise in an empty carpark if you worry about doing it in public until you get the hang of it.

Latest

Trending

Trending