The Student Room Group

Health testes,Midwifery and hepatitis B

Hi All

I have a question and hope someone will be able to help,as I looked through internet and cannot find the right answer I am looking for.
I am Hepatitis B carrier. Its a chronic one, I have it 8 years already. I am on medications which are suppressing the virus. Can I still be accepted and study to be a Midwife?
I know that before one is accepted to Uni a tests are done, to check for HIV and Hep A,B,C.. I have heard mixed answers, from NO,DEFINATELY NO , to yes,they cannot discriminate you because of Hep b ... My virology nurse told me that she knows few people who had been successful in many medical fields regarding of being carriers of Hepatitis or HIV, but she also couldnt give me a clear answer.
Do you know anyone who has hep or hiv and is Midwife or studying Midwifery/Nursing ... where are they studying? ( I am planning to apply to UWE or Plymouth Uni)
Any informations will be helpful
Than k you for reading :smile:
Original post by Dolly4386
Hi All

I have a question and hope someone will be able to help,as I looked through internet and cannot find the right answer I am looking for.
I am Hepatitis B carrier. Its a chronic one, I have it 8 years already. I am on medications which are suppressing the virus. Can I still be accepted and study to be a Midwife?
I know that before one is accepted to Uni a tests are done, to check for HIV and Hep A,B,C.. I have heard mixed answers, from NO,DEFINATELY NO , to yes,they cannot discriminate you because of Hep b ... My virology nurse told me that she knows few people who had been successful in many medical fields regarding of being carriers of Hepatitis or HIV, but she also couldnt give me a clear answer.
Do you know anyone who has hep or hiv and is Midwife or studying Midwifery/Nursing ... where are they studying? ( I am planning to apply to UWE or Plymouth Uni)
Any informations will be helpful
Than k you for reading :smile:

Talk to the university in question because according to department of health guidelines if you are e-antigen negative and have low viral levels then you can perform exposure prone procedures like in midwifery subject to regular monitoring: http://www.newcastle-hospitals.org.uk/downloads/policies/Infection%20Control/HepBHEPCandHIVforworkers201401.pdf

So my advice would be to contact the directors of the program :wink:

I hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by CharlieGEM
Talk to the university in question because according to department of health guidelines if you are e-antigen negative and have low viral levels then you can perform exposure prone procedures like in midwifery subject to regular monitoring: http://www.newcastle-hospitals.org.uk/downloads/policies/Infection%20Control/HepBHEPCandHIVforworkers201401.pdf

So my advice would be to contact the directors of the program :wink:

I hope this helps.

Thank You. Will call them tomorrow .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending