The Student Room Group

Not-so-typical Cambridge Students/offer-holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Colmans
Your ambition to encourage people to aim high and not write themselves off is good. But you run the risk of implying that the system is stacked against state school pupils and that private school pupils derive their success from factors external to them.

In practice private school pupils and state grammar pupils have been in competitive environments where they have never assumed they are the best and so have always had to work hard to do well. Every year they see highly able pupils not getting offers and so they tend to not take them for granted. Their parents have often succeeded because of their education and so have motivated them to believe that their future is under their control. My impression was that some comprehensive pupils had often been one of a tiny handful of bright pupils and had never struggled to come top. They were taken aback by how hard they had to work at Cambridge as previously they had rarely done academic work at weekends or flunked a test even if they hadn't revised.

I think Cambridge is quite good at picking out those who have the motivation to do well, they exclude the spoon fed from any school and those who despite passion simply don't have the raw ability.

It's all very well to say don't allow grades to limit you but you can't generally ignore the need to meet the grade requirement or to beat fellow candidates who may have achieved better than you without any greater advantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

^^^ this.
Original post by Colmans
Your ambition to encourage people to aim high and not write themselves off is good. But you run the risk of implying that the system is stacked against state school pupils and that private school pupils derive their success from factors external to them.

In practice private school pupils and state grammar pupils have been in competitive environments where they have never assumed they are the best and so have always had to work hard to do well. Every year they see highly able pupils not getting offers and so they tend to not take them for granted. Their parents have often succeeded because of their education and so have motivated them to believe that their future is under their control. My impression was that some comprehensive pupils had often been one of a tiny handful of bright pupils and had never struggled to come top. They were taken aback by how hard they had to work at Cambridge as previously they had rarely done academic work at weekends or flunked a test even if they hadn't revised.

I think Cambridge is quite good at picking out those who have the motivation to do well, they exclude the spoon fed from any school and those who despite passion simply don't have the raw ability.

It's all very well to say don't allow grades to limit you but you can't generally ignore the need to meet the grade requirement or to beat fellow candidates who may have achieved better than you without any greater advantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry but at what point in my post did I even say that you can ignore the grade requirements? All I implied in my post is that if you meet the grade requirements then you are able to achieve the grade you want, despite what other people tell you.

Whilst I agree with your points, I really don't see why you feel the need to put words in my mouth. I am not trying to prove you wrong, nor am I going to great lengths to attempt to do so, and I find it superfluous that you are going out of your way to counter things that weren't even said or implied in my post.
[QUOTE=Mathemagicien;62347553
Terribly bad at interviews, not sure how I got an offer tbh

[QUOTE=Mathemagicien;62347553Top 3 UMS Average: 99%

Original post by Mathemagicien
Very high UMS is not uncommon for maths applicants

Not that not uncommon - this shows that ~80% of maths applicants with 95-100% UMS get offers.
Original post by Colmans

Posted from TSR Mobile

This does happen to independent schoolers as well though, especially those who are top of their particular cohorts. A family friend got in two years ago and at the beginning struggled to cope with the level of competition in place even though he was top of his cohort and had very decent teachers.
Reply 25
Not sure if this is relevant.. but I've recently received an offer to do a PhD at Cambridge and I got a D at A-level in the subject area this is for (Chemistry). When I was younger I always wanted to go to Cambridge but royally screwed up my A-levels, and repeating A2 made no difference. After a foundation year at uni and then a fail in a first year chemistry module, I finally focussed and now I'm a first class Masters student with a Cambridge offer :] My point is, you won't know if you've got a chance unless you go for it. All you need is self belief and determination!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending