The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Bath or Royal Holloway?

Hello :smile:

I really like Royal Holloway, but I am stuck between putting Royal Holloway as my firm choice or Bath (hence the title). I was hoping a student at RHL could answer some questions I have.
I know Egham isn't the most vibrant and exciting town in the world, but I am quite sociable and like going out both during the day and at night. What worries me is that I will go to Royal Holloway and find that I'm constantly bored with nothing to do all day, is this a problem that students have ? Or are the towns around quite good with shops etc. Also, I was wondering if there are many clubs and activities to do whilst there? And what sport facilities are there? In terms of accommodation, which would be the best catered halls? As the 'best' rooms seems to be self-catered. I know Royal Holloway has a good community, so are most people quite nice then? Overall, do people have a good time whilst at Royal Holloway?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Sun12

I really like Royal Holloway, but I am stuck between putting Royal Holloway as my firm choice or Bath (hence the title). I was hoping a student at RHL could answer some questions I have.
I know Egham isn't the most vibrant and exciting town in the world, but I am quite sociable and like going out both during the day and at night. What worries me is that I will go to Royal Holloway and find that I'm constantly bored with nothing to do all day, is this a problem that students have ? Or are the towns around quite good with shops etc. Also, I was wondering if there are many clubs and activities to do whilst there? And what sport facilities are there? In terms of accommodation, which would be the best catered halls? As the 'best' rooms seems to be self-catered. I know Royal Holloway has a good community, so are most people quite nice then? Overall, do people have a good time whilst at Royal Holloway?

Hey,

I'm a recent Royal Holloway graduate, will do my best to answer your questions!

I'm quite similar to you in that I like for there to be lots of things to do and get involved in. Royal Holloway has a strong community atmosphere, with students generally forming close bonds and enjoying always seeing people they know as they walk across campus. There are over 100 sports clubs and societies, so there's plenty to get involved with! In terms of night-life, we have two clubs (The Students' Union and Medicine) who host event nights throughout the week, and three bars (Tommy's, Crosslands and Stumble Out) on campus. We also have good late night coffee culture, and our Starbucks is open until midnight - which is perfect for late night cramming sessions!

Locally, there are a number of pubs in Egham, and clubs in Windsor (15 minutes via taxi, 20 mins bus or train) and London (40 minutes via train), which students often organise big coach trips to.

We have a Sports Centre on site, and this was recently fitted with new 3G sports pitches. The Gym has very reasonably priced membership at a number of different tiers, and offers great exercise classes. A lot of students are passionate about sports and we compete in a number of competitive and social leagues.

In terms of halls, it really depends on what facilities you're looking for and what budget you have. I lived in two very different halls and really enjoyed both. I would say that they are all equally as 'good' in different ways - again it's really up to personal preference.

I'd definitely recommend coming along to one of our Applicant Visit Days, if you haven't already. For me, this was a huge help in deciding what University to go to, and it'll give you a chance to explore some of the things I've mentioned above.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Camilla :smile:
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Sun12

Hey,

I had a similar dilemma to you picking between RH, Reading and Lancaster and decided to go with RH having just graduated this summer.

To be honest I had the best three years. In terms of nightlife it really is what you make of it; I've been multiple time to clubs in Windsor, Kingston, C.London, Brighton etc especially in first year but I ended up preferring the club nights on campus as it always worked out cheaper, could get home in 5-10 mins and everytime I went out I would see coursemates, flatmates, society friends which is a lot more fun.

I would say Royal Holloway is for you if you’re looking for a very strong community spirit, a campus based university experience that is equally quite close to everything you might need. Now living so far away I really appreciate how I was never more that 10 minutes away from beautiful country walks such as Windsor Great Park and Virginia Water, but also large shopping centres and any other day out activities . Having London so close is especially helpful when applying to jobs after as many of my friends have found out.

I lived in both catered halls (Founders) and self-catered (Butler). I think the uni in general has quite a high standard of accommodation and what people perceive as the 'best' halls tend to be newer and ensuite but the older halls were refurbished whilst I was studying there. I found the Founders building rooms, aside from the fact you'll be living in an amazing building, has a really great social experience, is affordable and still of a nice quality especially when compared with other uni's. However if you would like an ensuite there are other catered option on campus.Obviously I am biased as I went to RH but I did visit my uni choices 2/3 times before making my final choice so I'm confident I made the right choice haha
(edited 8 years ago)
What subject is it for OP?
Reply 4
Original post by kazhas93
Hey,

I had a similar dilemma to you picking between RH, Reading and Lancaster and decided to go with RH having just graduated this summer.

To be honest I had the best three years. In terms of nightlife it really is what you make of it; I've been multiple time to clubs in Windsor, Kingston, C.London, Brighton etc especially in first year but I ended up preferring the club nights on campus as it always worked out cheaper, could get home in 5-10 mins and everytime I went out I would see coursemates, flatmates, society friends which is a lot more fun.

I would say Royal Holloway is for you if you’re looking for a very strong community spirit, a campus based university experience that is equally quite close to everything you might need. Now living so far away I really appreciate how I was never more that 10 minutes away from beautiful country walks such as Windsor Great Park and Virginia Water, but also large shopping centres and any other day out activities . Having London so close is especially helpful when applying to jobs after as many of my friends have found out.

I lived in both catered halls (Founders) and self-catered (Butler). I think the uni in general has quite a high standard of accommodation and what people perceive as the 'best' halls tend to be newer and ensuite but the older halls were refurbished whilst I was studying there. I found the Founders building rooms, aside from the fact you'll be living in an amazing building, has a really great social experience, is affordable and still of a nice quality especially when compared with other uni's. However if you would like an ensuite there are other catered option on campus.Obviously I am biased as I went to RH but I did visit my uni choices 2/3 times before making my final choice so I'm confident I made the right choice haha

Thank you very much! This is very helpful! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hey,

I'm a recent Royal Holloway graduate, will do my best to answer your questions!

I'm quite similar to you in that I like for there to be lots of things to do and get involved in. Royal Holloway has a strong community atmosphere, with students generally forming close bonds and enjoying always seeing people they know as they walk across campus. There are over 100 sports clubs and societies, so there's plenty to get involved with! In terms of night-life, we have two clubs (The Students' Union and Medicine) who host event nights throughout the week, and three bars (Tommy's, Crosslands and Stumble Out) on campus. We also have good late night coffee culture, and our Starbucks is open until midnight - which is perfect for late night cramming sessions!

Locally, there are a number of pubs in Egham, and clubs in Windsor (15 minutes via taxi, 20 mins bus or train) and London (40 minutes via train), which students often organise big coach trips to.

We have a Sports Centre on site, and this was recently fitted with new 3G sports pitches. The Gym has very reasonably priced membership at a number of different tiers, and offers great exercise classes. A lot of students are passionate about sports and we compete in a number of competitive and social leagues.

In terms of halls, it really depends on what facilities you're looking for and what budget you have. I lived in two very different halls and really enjoyed both. I would say that they are all equally as 'good' in different ways - again it's really up to personal preference.

I'd definitely recommend coming along to one of our Applicant Visit Days, if you haven't already. For me, this was a huge help in deciding what University to go to, and it'll give you a chance to explore some of the things I've mentioned above.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Camilla :smile:

Thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by Sun12

Hi,

I'm a current second year student here at Bath, so please feel free to quote me if you have any questions!

Beth
I went to the Royal Holloway applicant day, and I can honestly say, for someone who doesn't even go out, it's the most deadest place I've ever been too. Nothing to do there, I didn't see any local shops, the atmosphere was not nice at all, and just overall a negative vibe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where did you end up going ? And do you feel you made the right choice?
Original post by Sun12

Where did you end up going in the end as i have the exact same dilema as yourself? And would you say your choice was the right one?
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending