The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Mangement (With Marketing) at Royal Holloway

Please can students who have studied this course or are currently studying - give me their upsides and downsides of their experiences of this course and the university, as I've received an offer. I'm currently pitting both RH and Brunel together so please do sell your experiences on why I should come to Royal Holloway rather than Brunel !!!
Reply 1
I was in the exact same position as you last year haha. I went for RH over Brunel because I preferred the campus, thought the uni was "better" and Royal Holloway gave me a lower offer (ABB as opposed to AAB), although I'm pretty certain that the Brunel course ended up in Clearing.

Pros:

-The course is pretty interesting and varied for the most part (you pick modules in the 2nd year, everyone doing Management is together in the 1st year).

-The campus is great

-Management lectures are huge (400-ish people) so they're all in the Windsor building, which is great.

Cons:

-Lots of International Students on the course who don't seem to want to mix with other people that much (not all of course).

-Egham is pretty quiet if you're used to a big city. My GF goes to Brunel and prefers it there because it's far more urban, although it's only 40 mins to Waterloo from Egham, and Egham High Street has all the essentials.

But yeah, you won't be making a terrible decision no matter which uni you choose. I personally prefer the Victorian leafiness of Royal Holloway, but Brunel is undeniably better for going out/shopping. That said, about once a month I'll make an effort to go to one of the big clubs in London, and Staines is only a few minutes away on the train or bus.

Hope I helped, good luck with your A Levels :smile:
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by Neurox
I was in the exact same position as you last year haha. I went for RH over Brunel because I preferred the campus, thought the uni was "better" and Royal Holloway gave me a lower offer (ABB as opposed to AAB), although I'm pretty certain that the Brunel course ended up in Clearing.

Pros:

-The course is pretty interesting and varied for the most part (you pick modules in the 2nd year, everyone doing Management is together in the 1st year).

-The campus is great

-Management lectures are huge (400-ish people) so they're all in the Windsor building, which is great.

Cons:

-Lots of International Students on the course who don't seem to want to mix with other people that much (not all of course).

-Egham is pretty quiet if you're used to a big city. My GF goes to Brunel and prefers it there because it's far more urban, although it's only 40 mins to Waterloo from Egham, and Egham High Street has all the essentials.

But yeah, you won't be making a terrible decision no matter which uni you choose. I personally prefer the Victorian leafiness of Royal Holloway, but Brunel is undeniably better for going out/shopping. That said, about once a month I'll make an effort to go to one of the big clubs in London, and Staines is only a few minutes away on the train or bus.

Hope I helped, good luck with your A Levels :smile:

Thank you for the reply, this sounds great, I'm definitely swaying towards Royal Holloway for sure.

Did you go to the applicant visit, if so how was it?, I heard there might be an interview process and in your first year how is your timetable varied?, as I'll be comparing whether or not it will be cheaper to live at home (London) or apply for accommodation within the University.

Another thing that I was wondering was whether or not the Royal Holloway course is accredited - I can't find it on the website, however on the Brunel course, it states that their course is accredited.
Reply 3
Original post by RandomStudent890
Thank you for the reply, this sounds great, I'm definitely swaying towards Royal Holloway for sure.

Did you go to the applicant visit, if so how was it?, I heard there might be an interview process and in your first year how is your timetable varied?, as I'll be comparing whether or not it will be cheaper to live at home (London) or apply for accommodation within the University.

Another thing that I was wondering was whether or not the Royal Holloway course is accredited - I can't find it on the website, however on the Brunel course, it states that their course is accredited.

No worries :smile:

Yeah the applicant day was pretty good, there wasn't an interview as such for me but we spoke in small groups to some of the staff, so maybe think of a few questions to ask.

Everyone doing Management is together in the 1st year and we have 4 modules in the first time (Marketing, Stats, International Business, Interpreting Management), then another 4 (Eco/Social, Accounting, Organisation Studies, IT Systems) for term two and three. I have 2 hours per week of lectures and 1 hour of seminar for each module. I know quite a few people commute from London but most people stay on campus even if they live pretty close.

I'm pretty sure it's not, sadly :/ I'm hoping the University of London degree and higher ranking for RHUL makes up for that though haha.
Original post by Neurox
No worries :smile:

Yeah the applicant day was pretty good, there wasn't an interview as such for me but we spoke in small groups to some of the staff, so maybe think of a few questions to ask.

Everyone doing Management is together in the 1st year and we have 4 modules in the first time (Marketing, Stats, International Business, Interpreting Management), then another 4 (Eco/Social, Accounting, Organisation Studies, IT Systems) for term two and three. I have 2 hours per week of lectures and 1 hour of seminar for each module. I know quite a few people commute from London but most people stay on campus even if they live pretty close.

I'm pretty sure it's not, sadly :/ I'm hoping the University of London degree and higher ranking for RHUL makes up for that though haha.

Great! and how are you assessed? I read on the website that the first year consists of 56% coursework, 29% written and 15% practical. I was wondering what the practical exams consist of - as I would imagine presentations etc.
Reply 5
Original post by RandomStudent890
Great! and how are you assessed? I read on the website that the first year consists of 56% coursework, 29% written and 15% practical. I was wondering what the practical exams consist of - as I would imagine presentations etc.

Hey, it might change a bit year on year but this year I've had:

9 essays/written tasks
2 lots of weekly online tests (they're easy)
2 one-time online tests (both for the Accounting module)
2 group presentations
4 exams (only the modules you take in term 2 have exams)
Original post by Neurox
Hey, it might change a bit year on year but this year I've had:

9 essays/written tasks
2 lots of weekly online tests (they're easy)
2 one-time online tests (both for the Accounting module)
2 group presentations
4 exams (only the modules you take in term 2 have exams)

Could you give the reading list by any chance? Which books are we supposed to have?
Reply 7
Original post by elisabeth1
Could you give the reading list by any chance? Which books are we supposed to have?

It'll probably change a little bit each year and you won't need to read too much beforehand, but I'll list the main books that I can remember :smile:

Btw I didn't actually buy a single book this year, I just used the library and online versions.

Nana Zhao - Accounting (Pearson) - the uni gives you a discount link to buy this one

Laudon & Laudon - Management Information Systems

Chris Hackley - Marketing in Context - Setting the Scene

Rugman & Collinson - International Business

McAuley et al. - Organization Theory Challenges and Perspectives
Do you know what the assessment is like in second year? For management
Specifically if they are hard/easy markers when it comes to the essays, and when the exams are? I heard you take exams on the modules you did in first and second semester? Would they all be at the end of the year or spread out? Thank you in advance!!
Original post by JudiFrancine
Do you know what the assessment is like in second year? For management
Specifically if they are hard/easy markers when it comes to the essays, and when the exams are? I heard you take exams on the modules you did in first and second semester? Would they all be at the end of the year or spread out? Thank you in advance!!

I would say you have nothing to worry about in terms of essay writing :smile:, lecturers are weary about freshers understanding of academic writing/ the university standard and therefore are quite lenient in their markings.

Main tip
- Focus on the references, and build your assignment around them!!! :smile:

First semester consists purely on Assignments and a group presentation so no exams :biggrin:, however second semester consists of assignments, group presentation and then 4 summer exams for your second semester modules.

Hope this helps any further questions I'll be happy to answer!
I forgot to say there are online tests for modules in both semesters as well!

Quick Reply

Latest