The Student Room Group

Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and art - ok for architecture?

Hi :smile:
I am doing my GCSEs later this year and I am currently choosing my A level options. I am really considering a career in architecture but am unsure whether I have already ruled that out - I have not taken history GCSE and I know that it's highly valued as an A level.

What would you say is the ideal combination for studying architecture at top universities?

Is my combination - maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, art - ok?

Please help!
Reply 1
Mathematics, Physics and a Design subject is the ideal combo for architecture really, and you've got that in your five :h:

Why would they want history?
Yeah you should be fine, you dont need history GCSE for architecture at university and you have all of the right A levels there. I think for architecture you definitely need maths and physics and you have those! As long as you make sure you do well in physics and maths A level there isn't really anything stopping you from doing architecture.

Good Luck!
Original post by 11ahf
Hi :smile:
I am doing my GCSEs later this year and I am currently choosing my A level options. I am really considering a career in architecture but am unsure whether I have already ruled that out - I have not taken history GCSE and I know that it's highly valued as an A level.

What would you say is the ideal combination for studying architecture at top universities?

Is my combination - maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, art - ok?

Please help!

Yes, that sounds like pretty much the perfect combination (and I know someone with that combination who got an interview at Cambridge). Maths, physics and art are probably the most important A-levels for architecture, and further maths and chemistry are also good. You could consider swapping chemistry or further maths for an essay subject (which doesn't have to be history). However, only do that if if you think you will enjoy and succeed at the essay subject as much as the subject you would drop.
I would suggest a language if you have one you particularly enjoy, otherwise those 5 are great, although would be quite challenging, as for 3 full A-levels, maths, physics and art would set you up nicely with AS further maths
Reply 5
Original post by Alexion
Mathematics, Physics and a Design subject is the ideal combo for architecture really, and you've got that in your five :h:

Why would they want history?

It says on quite a few websites that they prefer a mixture of science and arts subjects, and on the Cambridge website, it talks about a historical aspect to the course. I just feel like I ought to take it, I don't know!
Reply 6
Original post by sweeneyrod
Yes, that sounds like pretty much the perfect combination (and I know someone with that combination who got an interview at Cambridge). Maths, physics and art are probably the most important A-levels for architecture, and further maths and chemistry are also good. You could consider swapping chemistry or further maths for an essay subject (which doesn't have to be history). However, only do that if if you think you will enjoy and succeed at the essay subject as much as the subject you would drop.

I've considered swapping chemistry for an essay subject - but I'm not particularly perceptive when it comes to words, so English lit wouldn't be ideal, and I don't have history GCSE so can't do A level. Are there any other well regarded essay subjects I could consider?
Original post by 11ahf
It says on quite a few websites that they prefer a mixture of science and arts subjects, and on the Cambridge website, it talks about a historical aspect to the course. I just feel like I ought to take it, I don't know!

Nah you should be fine with the combination that you have, especially if you take art. History A level I dont think will really benefit you if you want to go down just architecture
Reply 8
Original post by Bobjim12
I would suggest a language if you have one you particularly enjoy, otherwise those 5 are great, although would be quite challenging, as for 3 full A-levels, maths, physics and art would set you up nicely with AS further maths

I really enjoy German but I've heard it's a pretty intense step up from GCSE and I'm not so language orientated... I'm going to continue learning it outside of school but not do any further qualifications in it!
My plan is to do maths, fm, physics and art to a level unless I have a change of heart and decide engineering's more for me, in which case I'll drop art after AS.
Reply 9
Original post by Laurenafenete
Nah you should be fine with the combination that you have, especially if you take art. History A level I dont think will really benefit you if you want to go down just architecture

I know art has essays, maybe that can demonstrate some sort of breadth for me...
Original post by 11ahf
I've considered swapping chemistry for an essay subject - but I'm not particularly perceptive when it comes to words, so English lit wouldn't be ideal, and I don't have history GCSE so can't do A level. Are there any other well regarded essay subjects I could consider?

Geography is the only other essay subject on the Russell group list of facilitating subjects (which is a decent guideline, but not something you have to rigorously abide by by any means). You might enjoy economics if you like maths. History of art might be good if it is available (although universities might not you like having both that and art, I'm not sure). Scraping the bottom of the barrel somewhat, politics, RE/philosophy, psychology, business studies, sociology and English language are also all possibilities.

Really, since you have maths, physics, art, and further maths (in decreasing order of importance), whether you choose chemistry or something else will make very little difference to the strength of your application. It would be much better to do chemistry if you will enjoy it more and get a better grade in it than e.g. geography.
Original post by 11ahf
I really enjoy German but I've heard it's a pretty intense step up from GCSE and I'm not so language orientated... I'm going to continue learning it outside of school but not do any further qualifications in it!
My plan is to do maths, fm, physics and art to a level unless I have a change of heart and decide engineering's more for me, in which case I'll drop art after AS.

Seems like a plan, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending