The Student Room Group

Failing first year ??

OK so for semester 1 I suffered really badly with my depression and this messed up my attendance as I was never leaving my room or venturing out and therefore missed lessons.

This has made me fall behind and miss assignments and the PEC deadline last week.

Does anyone know if there is anyway that I will be able to make it into next year? Even if it is a re-sit just I know I let my depression get slightly on top of me but I am going to try so hard in semester 2 to get my act back together but I just don't know whether this means that I have completely fked up and failed. Helpful responses would be majorly appreciated XD
Original post by UniStudent1997
OK so for semester 1 I suffered really badly with my depression and this messed up my attendance as I was never leaving my room or venturing out and therefore missed lessons.

This has made me fall behind and miss assignments and the PEC deadline last week.

Does anyone know if there is anyway that I will be able to make it into next year? Even if it is a re-sit just I know I let my depression get slightly on top of me but I am going to try so hard in semester 2 to get my act back together but I just don't know whether this means that I have completely fked up and failed. Helpful responses would be majorly appreciated XD

Hi! I was literally in the exact same position last year with anxiety and depression, I ended up making an appointment with my advisor and explaining why I had been absent and he was pretty understanding. It was coming up to exams so he just told me to try my best and see how I did before deciding what to do next. I actually wanted to change course so I made a meeting with the head of the appropriate faculty and they told me that I could repeat the year in the new course as a result of my good grades from school. I ended up having to resit my exams from the first course but even though I think I might have failed a couple, I ended up getting in anyway so I hope this gives you some hope. So my advice would be to email your advisor/head of your faculty right now to arrange a meeting regarding your absence and see what they say, it'll vary for every university but I'm sure this isn't the first case of something like this that they've had to deal with. Also, if you haven't already make an appointment with your Uni's mental health services and/or gp so you can get the right help for dealing with your depression, your mental health comes first and they'll ha e the right answers. Hope this was useful good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Blondie987
Hi! I was literally in the exact same position last year with anxiety and depression, I ended up making an appointment with my advisor and explaining why I had been absent and he was pretty understanding. It was coming up to exams so he just told me to try my best and see how I did before deciding what to do next. I actually wanted to change course so I made a meeting with the head of the appropriate faculty and they told me that I could repeat the year in the new course as a result of my good grades from school. I ended up having to resit my exams from the first course but even though I think I might have failed a couple, I ended up getting in anyway so I hope this gives you some hope. So my advice would be to email your advisor/head of your faculty right now to arrange a meeting regarding your absence and see what they say, it'll vary for every university but I'm sure this isn't the first case of something like this that they've had to deal with. Also, if you haven't already make an appointment with your Uni's mental health services and/or gp so you can get the right help for dealing with your depression, your mental health comes first and they'll ha e the right answers. Hope this was useful good luck!

I'm hoping to change course but I think I am 20 ucas points under the entry requirements :frown:. What semester did you change in? I'm in semester 2 now so I'm concerned that I have left it too late. I have a meeting with my tutor on wednesday and I'm hoping he can help, I'm just panicking that I may have ruined it all haha, but thank you for your help!
I'm hoping to change course but I think I am 20 ucas points under the entry requirements :frown:. What semester did you change in? I'm in semester 2 now so I'm concerned that I have left it too late. I have a meeting with my tutor on wednesday and I'm hoping he can help, I'm just panicking that I may have ruined it all haha, but thank you for your help!

No problem :h: I went to my tutor half way through semester 2 so I was in the same boat as you. I think you're doing the best thing by speaking to your tutor, it really depends on the course you want to do but they'll be able to best advise you, good luck!

I'm just going to put this in the University forum as this is not strictly related to English. :smile:
speak to someone asap so they can put things in place to help you, universities have a lot of provision for people in your situation but they can't help if they don't know!

Quick Reply

Latest