The Student Room Group

Can you be a Muslim and reject sharia law?

As a Muslim, I have problems accepting many laws in sharia law. For example, punishments such as stoning to death for adultery and the amputation of the hand for theft to me seem backwards and simply don't belong in a civilised society. Since the sharia is created based on the Quran and the Sunnah, rejecting sharia law would acknowledge that there are imperfections in the religious texts. Does this make a person a non Muslim as a result?

Scroll to see replies

In answer to the title, no.
No, in my opinion you can interpret the Qur'an in whatever way you want to. If you disagree with Sharia Law, then disagree with it. It makes you no less a Muslim by the way you interpret it.

S xx
Original post by holiday_agent
No, in my opinion you can interpret the Qur'an in whatever way you want to. If you disagree with Sharia Law, then disagree with it. It makes you no less a Muslim by the way you interpret it.

S xx

wth are u talking about
Original post by ..........
wth are u talking about

XD

I think interpretation is the thing. Compare ISIS to any normal Muslim, the difference between them is the way they interpret the scripture. Neither is wrong or right. It is like if I said to you, I don't like you because you don't believe in God. How would you reply to that?
Original post by This Is The One
As a Muslim, I have problems accepting many laws in sharia law. For example, punishments such as stoning to death for adultery and the amputation of the hand for theft to me seem backwards and simply don't belong in a civilised society. Since the sharia is created based on the Quran and the Sunnah, rejecting sharia law would acknowledge that there are imperfections in the religious texts. Does this make a person a non Muslim as a result?

There are conditions though. Such as for adultery you need 4 witnesses(which is very unlikely) and if the person feels guilty and repents to God then they are fine-no stoning. The hand thing I'm not too sure about it. I suggest you research more into it. But look for islamic websites (NOT islamQA) but like "do we really have to stone adulterers and amputate hands" etc. These punishments are made so extreme so crime rates can be so low, simple. If there was a poor kid who stole an apple from a shop should we cut his hand off? No.

S xx

XD

I think interpretation is the thing. Compare ISIS to any normal Muslim, the difference between them is the way they interpret the scripture. Neither is wrong or right. It is like if I said to you, I don't like you because you don't believe in God. How would you reply to that?

This is the problem for me though. ISIS follow sharia law fully, which leads to them killing homosexuals, apostates and other barbaric crimes. This is the supposed divine, perfect law. Muslims in the UK are mainly appalled by this as we live under UK laws. Doesn't this say something about which law is more suited to the modern world?
Err in terms of Islam, ISIS in many ways is wrong. In terms of the truth, well if you believe in something else or are am athiest or agnostic, then that's a different case. Everyone has their beliefs.
XD

Original post by geniequeen48
There are conditions though. Such as for adultery you need 4 witnesses(which is very unlikely) and if the person feels guilty and repents to God then they are fine-no stoning. The hand thing I'm not too sure about it. I suggest you research more into it. But look for islamic websites (NOT islamQA) but like "do we really have to stone adulterers and amputate hands" etc. These punishments are made so extreme so crime rates can be so low, simple. If there was a poor kid who stole an apple from a shop should we cut his hand off? No.

I don't look at Islam q and a, but thanks for the heads up. A little research shows that the website is run by wahhabis with extremist views. I will continue looking into it on other websites anyway. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is the problem for me though. ISIS follow sharia law fully, which leads to them killing homosexuals, apostates and other barbaric crimes. This is the supposed divine, perfect law. Muslims in the UK are mainly appalled by this as we live under UK laws. Doesn't this say something about which law is more suited to the modern world?

Yes. It also shows that the Sharia Law over time will adapt and change to suit a more modern audience. For example, Dubai is changing its ways by allowing women to have high powered jobs in society.
Yes. It also shows that the Sharia Law over time will adapt and change to suit a more modern audience. For example, Dubai is changing its ways by allowing women to have high powered jobs in society.

Has sharia law adapted though if it is still being implemented as violently as we're seeing today in the 21st century? How do we know it's adapted anyway? Do we get a monthly sharia newsletter saying which laws are being removed and which ones are being added?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Err what??
http://www.businessinsider.com/muslims-using-sharia-law-against-isis-2014-10?IR=T
XD

I don't really get where you are going with your example about not believing in god, but it's generally not the interpretations of the scripture but more so the hadiths, some follow un-authentic ones and bid'ah. People come up with innovations and suggest it's okay to do so even when it is not backed up by any scripture and is not allowed.

Or possibly people with little knowledge of the scripture that may use it to their advantage when that isn't right.If the true tafseer of the quran is followed then there isn't many differences in interpretation at all.
Has sharia law adapted though if it is still being implemented as violently as we're seeing today in the 21st century? How do we know it's adapted anyway? Do we get a monthly sharia newsletter saying which laws are being removed and which ones are being added?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't add or remove laws of sharia, the purpose of the sharia is for it to be everlasting as with the quran.
Reply 15
No because according to Islam Sharia Law is the divine ruling from Allah so by rejecting that you are saying that Allah is wrong which makes you a non Muslim
Original post by ..........
I don't really get where you are going with your example about not believing in god, but it's generally not the interpretations of the scripture but more so the hadiths, some follow un-authentic ones and bid'ah. People come up with innovations and suggest it's okay to do so even when it is not backed up by any scripture and is not allowed.

Or possibly people with little knowledge of the scripture that may use it to their advantage when that isn't right.If the true tafseer of the quran is followed then there isn't many differences in interpretation at all.

Okay - yet explain to me how Sunni and Shia Muslims are similar?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, however as technology advances the violence will decrease.
I don't look at Islam q and a, but thanks for the heads up. A little research shows that the website is run by wahhabis with extremist views. I will continue looking into it on other websites anyway. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know the term wahhabis is absolutely ridiculous! How can you use the term wahaab as if it is a derogatory term. It is a name of Allah, how can u refer to someone as the name of Allah and also refer to someone as a follower of it in a disrespectful way?!
Where do they get their laws from then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Their heads? I don't know how they do it, maybe a quick skim through an "islamic" webite or just follow their leader who has twisted views of the religion? It said on the news that many have never picked up a Qur'an a read it, and everyone says they are Muslims hmm?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending