The Student Room Group

No qualifications at age of 17 because of mental health issues. What should I do?

I'll explain first.
I moved here year ago. It was beginning of the Year 11. (I was born in 1998). I've been struggling with depression for past three years. I was home schooled back in my country. Unfortunately, my father got promotion and we had to move. Like I mentioned before it was beginning of Year 11. I was advised not to go to school the year I moved here because it was last year of secondary education and the exams. I knew I wouldn't be able to do it at that time because I was affected by the fact we moved etc. I struggle, there are periods when I'm okay and live normal life but also there are days when I can't leave the house and therefore I know I wouldn't be able to concentrate enough so I can pass the exams. I waited. I'm okay at the moment. I'm getting the help I need. My life really changed and so did I. But I'm 17. And this is the time when I should be studying. I should be doing my A Levels right now. But I haven't even got GCSEs.
I would need an advice. What should I do? Or rather what can I do? What are the possibilities?
Can I still do GCSEs this year? Or
Should I do GCSEs next year? (I'll be 18 in October)
If so, what I need to know? Etc.
What after GCSEs?
OR IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE THAN GCSES?
I heard there's Level 2? For example LCF Diploma in Art & Design? Then there's Level 3.
Can someone explain it to me?
I want to study Fashion Journalism. My dream would be to get accepted to study at LCF. But right now, I feel like it's impossible. I'm so far behind. But I try to stay positive.
So I'm asking anyone who could help me, explain it all to me and sort of show me what are the possibilities.
Original post by whateverprincess
I'll explain first.
I moved here year ago. It was beginning of the Year 11. (I was born in 1998). I've been struggling with depression for past three years. I was home schooled back in my country. Unfortunately, my father got promotion and we had to move. Like I mentioned before it was beginning of Year 11. I was advised not to go to school the year I moved here because it was last year of secondary education and the exams. I knew I wouldn't be able to do it at that time because I was affected by the fact we moved etc. I struggle, there are periods when I'm okay and live normal life but also there are days when I can't leave the house and therefore I know I wouldn't be able to concentrate enough so I can pass the exams. I waited. I'm okay at the moment. I'm getting the help I need. My life really changed and so did I. But I'm 17. And this is the time when I should be studying. I should be doing my A Levels right now. But I haven't even got GCSEs.
I would need an advice. What should I do? Or rather what can I do? What are the possibilities?
Can I still do GCSEs this year? Or
Should I do GCSEs next year? (I'll be 18 in October)
If so, what I need to know? Etc.
What after GCSEs?
OR IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE THAN GCSES?
I heard there's Level 2? For example LCF Diploma in Art & Design? Then there's Level 3.
Can someone explain it to me?
I want to study Fashion Journalism. My dream would be to get accepted to study at LCF. But right now, I feel like it's impossible. I'm so far behind. But I try to stay positive.
So I'm asking anyone who could help me, explain it all to me and sort of show me what are the possibilities.

There are a few options!

You could do A levels as a private candidate, if you think you could go straight into that level of study.

http://www.arts.ac.uk/study-at-ual/foundation-diploma-in-art--design/

This has some information about the foundation degree they offer at LCF. It does appear that you have to have a strong portfolio, and they said that you will have to sit GCSE maths and English as aprt of the course if you have not attained them. But, it will get you onto a degree.

This may be a good way for you to go forward, provided you have a portfolio.

I'm afraid I don't know much about art, but I have a few friends that have studied fashion and gone on to work in the industry.

Quick Reply

Latest