The Student Room Group

Do you believe in capital punishment?

If so what crimes do you think we should have capital punishment for? Also should it be a painless death or should they be tortured to death?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by greatguy11
if so what crimes do you think we should have capital punishment for? Also should it be a painless death or should they be tortured to death?

absolutely not
Not under any circumstances. I'm too tired to type out the reasons why right now, though.
Reply 3
Original post by TeeEm
absolutely not

cool.

What are your reasons?
Reply 4
Original post by acupofgreentea
Not under any circumstances. I'm too tired to type out the reasons why right now, though.

I can think of many reasons why you are against it. Though I can see many reasons why someone maight be for it,
I think most in favour of the death penalty would certainly apply it to those convicted of acts of terror. What is more heinous than deliberately targeting civilians? Take the Birmingham pub bombings which killed 21 people, the second most deadly terrorist act in Britain in recent times. Surely those six men convicted of the bombings should die for their actions?

Except those men were entirely innocent. The problem with the British justice system is it is littered with false convictions and miscarriages of justice, be it through incompetence or police corruption. That you would end up executing an innocent person is, to me, the most powerful argument against the death penalty.
Reply 6
I live in the good ole USA and capital punishment is already legal in some states.
I'm down with capital punishment if the crime is gruesome enough, with multiple victims and the person accused of it is guilty of the crime. If the crime is murder of multiple victims like maybe, 10? Then yep. Painless death.
Never, not as an alternative to prison. Way too many issues with it, mostly because i think prisons should be primarily to rehabilitate people.

That said, I'm not totally against the use of lethal force in the field if it's needed to protect the life of someone in immediate danger.
Most definitely not. It's absolutely barbaric.
It won't happen, we're far too civilised a society for it to even be considered.
Reply 10
The thing I don't get is most people that are against capital punishment say they want the prisoner to suffer mentally everyday for the rest of their life. So they think it is too cruel to kill them but not cruel that they mentally suffering in a cell for the rest of their lives. It doesn't really make sense.
Original post by iEthan
Most definitely not. It's absolutely barbaric.

What is barbaric about it?
Original post by greatguy11
The thing I don't get is most people that are against capital punishment say they want the prisoner to suffer mentally everyday for the rest of their life. So they think it is too cruel to kill them but not cruel that they mentally suffering in a cell for the rest of their lives. It doesn't really make sense.

I'm against capital punishment and this is not one of my reasons. :wink:

Also, from those I've heard that argument from, that's the point - they think the death penalty is not punishment enough, feeling a life sentence in prison would be much more harsh.
Reply 13
it would hurt them more to live with themselves i think
capital punishment's too easy

I've yet to find something we disagree on :biggrin:
Reply 15
Child killers, terrorists, mass murderers, serial killers, all should face a walk to the gallows
Original post by Blondie987
I've yet to find something we disagree on :biggrin:

It's fate! :u:
It's fate! :u:

Must be :colondollar: I have honestly tried to give you rep so many times today and tsr has just been like 'naaaaahhhhh' I really don't like this rule lol
Reply 18
Original post by Blondie987
Must be :colondollar: I have honestly tried to give you rep so many times today and tsr has just been like 'naaaaahhhhh' I really don't like this rule lol

You can give me the rep that you were going to give to her if you want. :smile:
Reply 19
I'm against capital punishment and this is not one of my reasons. :wink:

Also, from those I've heard that argument from, that's the point - they think the death penalty is not punishment enough, feeling a life sentence in prison would be much more harsh.

But a lot of them say the death penalty is too barbaric abd then they go and say they hope the person rots in hell. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Quick Reply

Latest