The Student Room Group

For anyone applying for nursing with children and thinking about finances...

Hi everyone,

I applied for child health nursing in October and I'm due to start next month. Having 2 children (5 years and 10 months) I was quite worried about funding childcare etc so wanted to share my experience in case it helps out prospective applicants :smile:

This is my second degree so it may be different for first degrees? But having a partner who earns 24k entitles me to a total of 14k (from student loans, NHS bursary and childcare grant).

Anyway I would have really liked a rough guide when applying so hopefully this will be helpful to some people :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Gizmo.
Hi everyone,

I applied for child health nursing in October and I'm due to start next month. Having 2 children (5 years and 10 months) I was quite worried about funding childcare etc so wanted to share my experience in case it helps out prospective applicants :smile:

This is my second degree so it may be different for first degrees? But having a partner who earns 24k entitles me to a total of 14k (from student loans, NHS bursary and childcare grant).

Anyway I would have really liked a rough guide when applying so hopefully this will be helpful to some people :smile:

Hi are you studying in London our outside?
Reply 2
Original post by xjustmex
Hi are you studying in London our outside?

In Devon :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Gizmo.
In Devon :smile:

Its good to know roughly what to expect. Im waiting on my bursary decision now
Thanks for sharing :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for that. My DH earns £27k so I'm hoping my entitlement wouldn't be too different. I take it the childcare element is separate from the dependants grant.
Reply 5
Original post by MrsEvs
Thanks for that. My DH earns £27k so I'm hoping my entitlement wouldn't be too different. I take it the childcare element is separate from the dependants grant.

Yes it's a separate element.
I phoned them and they explained to me how they work it out but basically they take your partners income, subtract any allowable expenses like rent, tax, pensions etc. They also take away I think £500 per child and then make the calculation from what's left (residual income).
They do that by calculating the max amount of parental learning allowance and deducting residual income.
If there is still residual income left they deduct it from the dependents allowance (if there was no residual income left you get the full amount of dependents allowance).
If there is still residual income left after this they subtract from the amount of childcare element you will receive.
Hope that helps, I know it's quite complicated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
That helps a lot, thanks.
Original post by Gizmo.
Hi everyone,

I'm really hoping you can help me! I have two children, 6 and 1 and I am a single parent, I am starting Adult nursing in march, what can you apply for through student finance? Ive sorted my NHS Bursary through the BOSS account and childcare allowance through them as well, but someone told me I cant get anything from SFE? I'm starting to panic a little as the NHS bursary wont cover my mortgage!
Reply 8
Original post by Jessiemayspencer
I'm really hoping you can help me! I have two children, 6 and 1 and I am a single parent, I am starting Adult nursing in march, what can you apply for through student finance? Ive sorted my NHS Bursary through the BOSS account and childcare allowance through them as well, but someone told me I cant get anything from SFE? I'm starting to panic a little as the NHS bursary wont cover my mortgage!

You can get a reduced maintenance loan from Student finance, if you apply and say no to requiring tuition fee as the department of Health will cover the fees you can get a maximum of £1740 if you are living at home which i think you are?
Just apply online its a 5 minute application very easy.
Reply 9
hi all
i was wondering would i still be entitled to grants/loans to help to support me and my family even if my husband is already a student getting grants/loans? i am applying for ODP 2016/2017/ so i will be entitle to NHS bursary right? could anybody explain how it works please. many thanlks
Reply 10
Thanks for this, I checked the other day and realised we would be eligible for help with 2 x childcare and housing - I've just been made redundant from a well paid but totally unsatisfying job and am so excited to finally work towards my dream of working on nicu (IF I'm accepted that is! ) it's nice to see that help is there as I always thought it was the impossible dream while we had young children and commitments etc.

:-)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending