The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do about university?

I am a first year at a Russell Group uni and I am currently hating it. I waltz out of most lectures none the wiser, whilst in lectures and seminars I take a back seat and I feel like nothing is going in.

At college, I was ridiculously motivated. I achieved the highest grades in the class, but coming to university I feel so lost. I have had grades back for four assignments (2:1, 1st and two 2:2 grades), and I just feel like I am not clever enough to be here. I am doing a degree that leads directly to a profession, and if I am honest I am not even sure I want to do that anymore.

I have cried and cried, I commute and I am up at 5am most days and I am so tired. I honestly have no motivation to do anything, I have had a history of depressive outbreaks and it is getting to the point where I want to start doing 'stupid' things.

I feel like taking a year out and getting a job somewhere, that way if I do want to go back to uni I will be more motivated and if I don't want to go back, then I will have made the right choice and can go to a closer uni that is not a Russell Group - I cannot study here, I am not clever enough.

I just don't know how to address this to family or who to talk to at uni about this? Any advice would be great.

Thank you
I'd advise speaking to your personal tutor or an academic supervisor at university. And honestly don't feel stupid, from what I have heard most people feel like they're not smart enough at some point in their degrees. Could moving closer to uni be an option? Because from the sounds of it your commute is taking a lot out of you and it could be significantly affecting your ability to take in information during lectures and motivation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending