The Student Room Group

Lancaster Business studies IB requirements

TYPICAL Lancaster offer for IB students. The thing is that I currently hold 4 offers from KCL Nottingham St andrews and Durham and I want to go to Lancaster and the thing is that I would have to apply through extra and was wonderin what kind of offer would Lancaster most probably give me? Because on their site they say 30 points but the prospectus is for 2008 entry and UCAS it says 35 points so I m really confused. Any help would be appreciated
Reply 1
You will get your best answer by emailing them.
You still want to go to Lancaster eh?

The offer I got for management science (think that's the right name) was 34 points. There are quite a few similar courses there though. Business, management and management science or something. So go to ucas and search them. The ones on ucas are usually the right ones.
Reply 3
Just searched on UCAS, it says 34 points. Guess they are only decreasing their IB entry requirements for next year. BTW bro people over keep tellin me that Lancaster is alright uni but amazin for business. I saw that it was 8th in the times rankings of 2007 but from ur point of view is it a really good business or just an average one.
Reply 4
^I think KCL is probably a higher rated institution overseas if that matters to you.
goali2
Just searched on UCAS, it says 34 points. Guess they are only decreasing their IB entry requirements for next year. BTW bro people over keep tellin me that Lancaster is alright uni but amazin for business. I saw that it was 8th in the times rankings of 2007 but from ur point of view is it a really good business or just an average one.

Yea tariff system for IB starts next year. Quite unfair for us :s-smilie: Ah well...

Yea Lancaster is a good uni for business I guess. I haven't done much research on it but they are 8th for business both on times and the guardian. 21st for the overall ranking I think..

For the others, the rankings are:
King's and Nottingham are 6th and 7th respectively for business on times. St. Andrews is 10th on times and 6th on guardian. And Durham is 20th on times but then it's the Stockton campus for business and that's a big turn off.

But you know, don't rely too much on rankings.

I would say that King's is a better uni overall and has a better name (worldwide as well) but their business course is not their best subject. Still though, I think it's a good uni and their IB requirement for management is usually 35. Slightly higher than 34 eh? Lancaster seems to be more focused on business. My uni counsellor says it's a bit remote though with the closest city being Manchester I think. Nottingham I would also consider because they're also quite a good uni. If I recall they want 665 for higher or something like that? :s-smilie:

Anyway, back to the topic.. Have you read about how extra works? Sorry I'm not really familiar with it. Have you done your IB or are you doing it now?
Reply 6
Thank for your views, any more info you might have is welcome. So difficult over here to have a conversation about UK unis everyone I know is going either to Canada, USA or Australia. Not many people want go to the UK.

Doing my IB right now. Have my maths and arabic ab intio exam day after(really nervous). Kings yeh is a good university and stuff my sis graduated from there with a degree in business mangement. But the thing is I already live in big city and I want to go a university which is not located in a big city to avoid all the rush and traffic. But also not end up somewhere completely remote. I do not know if u've not this but some universities are really ignorant when it comes to asking entry requirements for IB.

I was looking at University of Newcastle and I m not trying to discredit them but they dun have the rep of Durham or Notts and st andrews and stuff but they were asking 35 points which I clearly feel is a bit too much. The same thing applies for University of York ABB(A-levels) while for IB its 36 points. But I think someone on this forum got a offer for 30 points while on the site it was written 36 points.

Extra is where you can apply to Universities which have vacancies provided you decline all your current offers. But the thing is that with Extra you cant have a safety.
34 points is probably most likely if that's what it says on UCAS for this year, but sometimes offers are different from the 'typical' offer stated in the prospectus or on the UCAS website, so it's impossible to tell really. Lancaster doesn't have as good an overall reputation as the unis you currently have offers from, but it's still pretty good and if it's good for your subject, that's important as well. The most important thing though is that you go where you think you'll be happiest because rankings change a lot from newspaper to newspaper and from year to year, so it's best not to rely on them too much.
goali2
TYPICAL Lancaster offer for IB students. The thing is that I currently hold 4 offers from KCL Nottingham St andrews and Durham and I want to go to Lancaster and the thing is that I would have to apply through extra and was wonderin what kind of offer would Lancaster most probably give me? Because on their site they say 30 points but the prospectus is for 2008 entry and UCAS it says 35 points so I m really confused. Any help would be appreciated

I was sort of in the same situation as you a few months back. I had just applied to Business Studies (Australasia/North-America) at Lancaster thinking their standard offer was 32 points as it said on their website. After applying, I saw on UCAS that the minimum requirement was 36 points (!), and I started worrying. But when I got the offer, it was just 32 points with 18 on 3 HL. So bottom line, Lancaster website is correct, UCAS is not updated (in my case, anyhow).

Latest

Trending

Trending