The Student Room Group

Which uni for medicinal chemistry?

I have offers from Loughborough, Nottingham, Liverpool and Leeds but I really can't choose which one to put as my first choice. I was initially going for Nottingham cos I think I'd enjoy it there the most because it's a great city when I socially went and for open days and cos it's fairly close to home (worcester). My dad then told me that he had asked some of his colleagues at his hospital and they said that Loughborough has the best graduate prospects and is best for chemistry related subjects, I then researched this and found out that it's true. I have UCAS applicant visit days coming up for each of them in February but I still don't think it'd make choose a definitive choice. Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Aryal
I have offers from Loughborough, Nottingham, Liverpool and Leeds but I really can't choose which one to put as my first choice. I was initially going for Nottingham cos I think I'd enjoy it there the most because it's a great city when I socially went and for open days and cos it's fairly close to home (worcester). My dad then told me that he had asked some of his colleagues at his hospital and they said that Loughborough has the best graduate prospects and is best for chemistry related subjects, I then researched this and found out that it's true. I have UCAS applicant visit days coming up for each of them in February but I still don't think it'd make choose a definitive choice. Any advice?

All I can say is go with your gut, if you get to Loughborough and really hate it then don't go. Only if they are really tied you should look at the numbers. Also remember to look at requirements, if they are too high then don't accept the offer.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
I see a lot of Med Chem degrees and MSc offer in the past few years. Pity the number of actual jobs in this field out side academia has fallen dramatically in the last 10 years. With Big Pharma in
the UK closing most of the big drug discovery research centers.
Often the courses are taught by folks who got made redundant by big Pharma. So in short Chemistry is worth studying just don't specialize too soon in an area of expertise which on the decline.
Check out blogs like chemjobber and "In the pipe line" for the low down on what the world outside of academia is like..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending