The Student Room Group

Bristol or Exeter for Maths?

Hi
I've had offers from Bristol and Exeter to do Maths September 2016. I am trying to choose one for my firm choice, which should I go for and why? I'm not a huge party animal but I do like to make friends and have a good time. Your opinions would be really helpful!
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by CaitlinF1
Hi
I've had offers from Bristol and Exeter to do Maths September 2016. I am trying to choose one for my firm choice, which should I go for and why? I'm not a huge party animal but I do like to make friends and have a good time. Your opinions would be really helpful!
Thanks

Bristol highly traditional and prestigious
Exeter Maths is up and coming
difficult choice
Reply 2
Exeter, great campus experience and student life, Bristol not so much...
Hi
Thanks

Both are good, you'll get a good standard of teaching at both Universities.

I live in Bristol but am a student at Exeter and personally I prefer Exeter as a place to live.

Bristol is much bigger obviously, so if you want a huge number of places to go on a night out, and a night life which ends about 2 hours after the sun comes up, then Bristol is great. In terms of the University I was going to apply there but really didn't like the fact that it's all city based, so everything's a long way from everything else and there's no real centre to the University.

Personally I much prefer the campus style that Exeter has, the University is all self-contained within it's own campus with most first years living on campus and then moving into town in the following years. The city itself is also pretty nice in my opinion, there's plenty to do, a decent nightlife, but it's much less in your face than Bristol is.

At the end of the day if you can visit both, visit both, and make your choice based on which place you like most because at the end of the day you'll get the same standard of degree from both places so your choice should be whichever place you think you'll enjoy more.
Original post by mackemforever
Both are good, you'll get a good standard of teaching at both Universities.

I live in Bristol but am a student at Exeter and personally I prefer Exeter as a place to live.

Bristol is much bigger obviously, so if you want a huge number of places to go on a night out, and a night life which ends about 2 hours after the sun comes up, then Bristol is great. In terms of the University I was going to apply there but really didn't like the fact that it's all city based, so everything's a long way from everything else and there's no real centre to the University.

Personally I much prefer the campus style that Exeter has, the University is all self-contained within it's own campus with most first years living on campus and then moving into town in the following years. The city itself is also pretty nice in my opinion, there's plenty to do, a decent nightlife, but it's much less in your face than Bristol is.

At the end of the day if you can visit both, visit both, and make your choice based on which place you like most because at the end of the day you'll get the same standard of degree from both places so your choice should be whichever place you think you'll enjoy more.

Bristol has a precinct which is where the vast majority of departments are based, and where lectures and seminars are held, so I would disagree that the university 'has no real centre'.

If you live in stoke bishop halls you get a free bus pass which takes you right to the university (which is only 2 miles away, not even that far) and from university everything you really need is a maximum of a 20 minute walk.

Please don't make Bristol sound like it's huge, it's not. Everything you need is literally walking distance....

(But yes OP, Bristol's nightlife is amazing)
Hi
Thanks

Bristol is :heart:

Spoiler

Original post by InadequateJusticex
Bristol has a precinct which is where the vast majority of departments are based, and where lectures and seminars are held, so I would disagree that the university 'has no real centre'.

If you live in stoke bishop halls you get a free bus pass which takes you right to the university (which is only 2 miles away, not even that far) and from university everything you really need is a maximum of a 20 minute walk.

Please don't make Bristol sound like it's huge, it's not. Everything you need is literally walking distance....

(But yes OP, Bristol's nightlife is amazing)

And what is the walking distance between departments? I remember walking around Bristol and feeling like it was quite an expedition just to get from the Law Library thing to the other side of campus -- we were looking for a student bar, you see. It is very much different to Exeter where the campus is compact. Also there were no squirrels in Bristol, and this upset me.
Original post by callum_law
And what is the walking distance between departments? I remember walking around Bristol and feeling like it was quite an expedition just to get from the Law Library thing to the other side of campus -- we were looking for a student bar, you see. It is very much different to Exeter where the campus is compact. Also there were no squirrels in Bristol, and this upset me.

The hills have that effect; it doesn't help that the Law building is at the bottom of that hill, so getting anywhere from the WMB to anywhere seems like a trek. But anyway I'm pretty sure this 'student bar' you're talking about is the SU bar, which isn't actually within the precinct...

You can easily walk to another department within 10 minutes - I've had to attend a lecture in one department, then rush to another department with 10 minutes to go until the lecture starts and still made it on time (and it was uphill!)

(And Bristol has squirrels, student halls in Stoke Bishop suffered from squirrels invading their kitchens http://thetab.com/uk/bristol/2015/02/09/stoke-bishop-dealing-squirrel-epidemic-13508
The Tab is full of **** but the pictures don't lie :tongue:)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by InadequateJusticex
The hills have that effect; it doesn't help that the Law building is at the bottom of that hill, so getting anywhere from the WMB to anywhere seems like a trek. But anyway I'm pretty sure this 'student bar' you're talking about is the SU bar, which isn't actually within the precinct...

You can easily walk to another department within 10 minutes - I've had to attend a lecture in one department, then rush to another department with 10 minutes to go until the lecture starts and still made it on time (and it was uphill!)

(And Bristol has squirrels, student halls in Stoke Bishop suffered from squirrels invading their kitchens http://thetab.com/uk/bristol/2015/02/09/stoke-bishop-dealing-squirrel-epidemic-13508
The Tab is full of **** but the pictures don't lie :tongue:)

SU bar is not in the precinct?! Well, therein lies the problem!

10 minutes does seem a bit excessive, to be honest. And I mean there are seemingly none in the precinct. You need them running up trees as you look out at them -- listlessly sat in a boring lecture distracting yourself with the squirrels.
Reply 9
I can confirm that Exeter has squirrels AND bunnies! Exeter wins :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest