The Student Room Group

Applying for University; Uncertainty and Life's Diversities

Hey everyone,

I don't normally hang out on TSR but I've decided it would be really helpful to chat more. As it's my one of my first posts I just want to introduce myself and maybe talk a little about my life situation at the moment - it would be super cool to hear other people's experiences too. :h:

So I'm currently in my 3rd year of Sixth Form after reliving my Year 12 period (with different subjects) in 2014/15. I'm studying Computing, Maths and Biology now but have actually have a Smorgasbord of different AS-level qualifications of mediocre-to-abysmal grades; something that I'm really ashamed of and totally wish I could go back in time to redo. This aside; I really want to apply for Computer Science at some point however maybe after taking a gap year as I would really love a little time to relieve a lot of the stresses I've had over the last few years. :redface:

I really have a passion for decentralized technologies like distributed hash tables and the positive effects these can have on democratic societies - I could talk forever about this - even if I don't fully understand the low level technical details. This is why I really want to go to university - not to get a degree, but to have an efficient way to learn the intricacies. :h:

Although my learning-trumps-exams approach has probably damaged my results in many ways, the last few years of my life have been pretty unhelpful too. The year before starting college both of my grandmas sadly passed away, I continued suffering with my gender/body issues and my mum was diagnosed with appendiceal cancer. I do hope to try and be as positive as possible and I hope these issues will finally pass so I can move on and find a route to achieving my goals. :smile:.

Edit: I've just realized this is probably in the wrong forum - doh! I might move it if people disapprove.

~Livvy
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by livmackintosh
Hey everyone,

I don't normally hang out on TSR but I've decided it would be really helpful to chat more. As it's my one of my first posts I just want to introduce myself and maybe talk a little about my life situation at the moment - it would be super cool to hear other people's experiences too. :h:

So I'm currently in my 3rd year of Sixth Form after reliving my Year 12 period (with different subjects) in 2014/15. I'm studying Computing, Maths and Biology now but have actually have a Smorgasbord of different AS-level qualifications of mediocre-to-abysmal grades; something that I'm really ashamed of and totally wish I could go back in time to redo. This aside; I really want to apply for Computer Science at some point however maybe after taking a gap year as I would really love a little time to relieve a lot of the stresses I've had over the last few years. :redface:

I really have a passion for decentralized technologies like distributed hash tables and the positive effects these can have on democratic societies - I could talk forever about this - even if I don't fully understand the low level technical details. This is why I really want to go to university - not to get a degree, but to have an efficient way to learn the intricacies. :h:

Although my learning-trumps-exams approach has probably damaged my results in many ways, the last few years of my life have been pretty unhelpful too. The year before starting college both of my grandmas sadly passed away, I continued suffering with my gender/body issues and my mum was diagnosed with appendiceal cancer. I do hope to try and be as positive as possible and I hope these issues will finally pass so I can move on and find a route to achieving my goals. :smile:.

Edit: I've just realized this is probably in the wrong forum - doh! I might move it if people disapprove.

~Livvy

I'm sorry to hear about the struggles you've had. :frown:

It's great that you seem quite passionate about what you want to learn!
Original post by rayquaza17
I'm sorry to hear about the struggles you've had. :frown:

It's great that you seem quite passionate about what you want to learn!

Thank you! =) I'm just trying to be myself and gain self confidence. I think it's so hard for people to understand how being transgender feels but at the same time I know I can be the change I want to see :smile:

~Livvy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending