The Student Room Group

Italian town welcomes first baby for 30 years

Amusing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-35418101

Perhaps the far right should accept that Europe needs refugees, since they aren't bothered with having children of their own? Refugees will help slow the population decline, and pay your pensions eventually.

e.g.

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
they need better sex lives
Original post by fredderick
There is a third way. Fukc off Capitalism/Materialism. Submit to Allah and become Muslim. Have 4 wives and 100 kids.

Isn't that what we are doing?
Original post by Mathemagicien
Isn't that what we are doing?

So...you know the plan. Now you must die...
So don't immigrants age?
Yes but only immigrants with high education / skilled labour and can contribute to work can be let in. Thugs can stay out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd think Italy would rather have immigrants from other established European countries, not places like Albania or the Middle East :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by fredderick
There is a third way. Fukc off Capitalism/Materialism. Submit to Allah and become Muslim. Have 4 wives and 100 kids.

You really want 4 mothers in law?
Original post by HucktheForde
Yes but only immigrants with high education / skilled labour and can contribute to work can be let in. Thugs can stay out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But thugs age too :frown:

Original post by Sgt_Haytham
I'd think Italy would rather have immigrants from other established European countries, not places like Albania or the Middle East :smile:

Other established European countries have their own demographic crises - when the USSR fell, Eastern Europe's birth rate plummeted and stayed ever since low.
Original post by Johann von Gauss
Amusing

Perhaps the far right should accept that Europe needs refugees, since they aren't bothered with having children of their own? Refugees will help slow the population decline, and pay your pensions eventually.

e.g.

The governments should introduce some aspects of sharia law to help integrate these refugees

Other established European countries have their own demographic crises - when the USSR fell, Eastern Europe's birth rate plummeted and stayed ever since low.

We just need another World War then.
I don't think it's just Italy tbh. I can recall the average age in oecd countries were around 40 a couple of years ago. Long term prospects would be like Greece from most countries in Europe.
Original post by DiceTheSlice
I don't think it's just Italy tbh. I can recall the average age in oecd countries were around 40 a couple of years ago. Long term prospects would be like Greece from most countries in Europe.

Indeed

Industrialisation brings with it incredibly low birth rates - Japan, Singapore, Germany, Italy, Spain, South Korea are all suffering, with China soon to follow. The West has been propped up by solely by immigration since WWII.
It's babies or immigrants, folks. You choose.

If we want a successful, growing economy we need workers.

Unfortunately, most young people I know today, don't want more than 1 baby, don't want immigrants and want a successful economy. They are going to be disappointed.

SS
Original post by Supersaps
If we want a successful, growing economy we need workers.

Not just that - as life expectancy increases, and birth rates decrease, the dependency ratio - ratio of workers to non-workers (children and the elderly) will constantly increase, so the burden on each working age person will increase.

Immigration is the quick and easy solution, but only until the sources of immigrants run out of working age people too.
Amusing

e.g.

Implying the ideal thing is to have an infinitely growing population.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Implying the ideal thing is to have an infinitely growing population.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or implies that a population where the number of workers is in freefall, but pensioner numbers always increases, is not the best thing
Or implies that a population where the number of workers is in freefall, but pensioner numbers always increases, is not the best thing

At what level does it stabilise, you seem to imply that eventually the working population will be decreased to zero and the system stabilised at a total population of 0, I.e. not having migrants will lead to localised human extinctions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Amusing

What's more amusing is that you think that anybody who's opposed to unlimited immigration is 'far right.' You'll do anything to live in an Islamic country except move to one voluntarily, eh? :rolleyes:
There's another country I'd like to bring into this discussion: China.

In 40 years, due to the one child policy, the situation where you have 1 worker supporting SIX retired people (their parents and their grandparents) will not be unusual. It's a large reason why China is going to struggle to make it onto the superpower stage.

I've designed a terrible infographic to illustrate my point:

owl.jpg
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending