The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by paul514
It's the average over 40 years

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's the 25 year average for England? (Most mortgages are 25 years max)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
What's the 25 year average for England? (Most mortgages are 25 years max)

Posted from TSR Mobile

No idea mate, there's an issue of affordability hence why pricing becomes more of an issue each year.

I would like to say surely the rises will slow because it's already out of touch with wages but that doesn't seem to stop the market.

If the trend continues then 250-300% more than what you paid 25 years previously

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by paul514
No idea mate, there's an issue of affordability hence why pricing becomes more of an issue each year.

I would like to say surely the rises will slow because it's already out of touch with wages but that doesn't seem to stop the market.

If the trend continues then 250-300% more than what you paid 25 years previously

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed. Even it's 5% pa that will be over 300% in 25 years. That was my point earlier about compond interest not ust affecting the debt, it also affects the asset.
Original post by paul514

Posted from TSR Mobile

House price rises have a much stronger correlation with the availability of credit than actual supply and demand unfortunately. Only during the 2010-2012 period did we see constrained credit growth and prices were flat or declining outside London). Unfortunately, people whinged about having to save a large deposit and so government pandered.

Unfortunately, i fear that normal service will be resumed although i don't think annual growth across the UK as a whole has actually been at 11% since 06. Been cooling off lately has the housing market.
It's off the official average uk house price since the mid 70's

Also widespread mortgages didn't even happen for the market until the 80's so this trend started before that.

It is almost all supply and demand issues

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSRsteven
Hey, how much (roughly) would a deposit be for a 300k house?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depending on were you live of course- cant you go for something a bit cheaper for your first house?
Reply 46
OP hasn't bothered to respond to any of the replies so is clearly not that interested...
Original post by Fullofsurprises
If house prices were stable or declining, that would be true, but the long-term trend is relentlessly up at a greater rate than inflation, so in the long run, it would be illogical not to aspire to home ownership, the way things are in our distorted economy. Basically a house is like a money printing operation, especially in London and the South of England. The only trouble is, the entrenched middle and upper middle classes and the rich have hold of the presses and they aren't keen to let others into the printing room.

The thing I wonder though is, house prices in London and the SE are too high for most people to afford, so if you do buy a house in these regions with the intention to sell it later, who are you going to be selling it to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Diabolus
The thing I wonder though is, house prices in London and the SE are too high for most people to afford, so if you do buy a house in these regions with the intention to sell it later, who are you going to be selling it to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are loads of buyers always coming in to the London market from abroad - for example, it said in the Standard the other day that more than 250,000 French people own property in London. It's kind of a global hub that everyone wants a house in who has money.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
There are loads of buyers always coming in to the London market from abroad - for example, it said in the Standard the other day that more than 250,000 French people own property in London. It's kind of a global hub that everyone wants a house in who has money.

London is like some grotesque blocked toilet which people are queuing up to use
Original post by the bear
London is like some grotesque blocked toilet which people are queuing up to use

Lol, some truth to that, but to be fair, you don't get a lot of toilets with very pleasant art galleries, museums and parks included in them and stacks of desirable and interesting properties.

Latest

Trending

Trending