The Student Room Group

Is university right for me?

Hey guys,

So I've been in and out of mundane retail work and wanted to find myself a career of some sort to myself up again.

After being unsuccessful in my medical to be a medic in the army (unrelated to fitness) and seeing how my qualifications will make it difficult to be a medic via the NHS route; I then turn to another huge interest of mine and that's teaching English as a foreign language.

The country I'm most interested in is Japan and for those that don't know, to work abroad in Japan, you need a degree.

I previously did a BTEC in Music Technology which led me to also starting a music production course - however I did a U-turn after the first year and decided to drop out.

I'm aware that the popular programmes such as JET are highly competitive and with the background I have, including only having achieved a C in English, I fear that if I were to enrol on a university course that it would leave me in a huge amount of debt for no real benefit.

One course that's interesting to me is >> This one here << due to it being focused on the type of job I'm wanting (including giving me the year abroad too which I find most important)

I'm not far off 22 and I just don't want to be spending any more time in dead end jobs when I know I'm capable of so much more.

Thanks guys.

Three legged cat :emog:
It seems like your first interest is working in healthcare. Have you considered doing an Access to HE course and then progressing to something like nursing, radiography or occupational therapy?

Access to HE courses are one year college courses that are designed for people just like you who have been out of education for a few years and lack the qualifications to go to uni, and it's accepted by every university. It's a very, very common route into nursing in particular - though depending on subject choice you could also progress to a TESOL / language degree too.

http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx
Original post by Three legged cat
Hey guys,

So I've been in and out of mundane retail work and wanted to find myself a career of some sort to myself up again.

After being unsuccessful in my medical to be a medic in the army (unrelated to fitness) and seeing how my qualifications will make it difficult to be a medic via the NHS route; I then turn to another huge interest of mine and that's teaching English as a foreign language.

The country I'm most interested in is Japan and for those that don't know, to work abroad in Japan, you need a degree.

I previously did a BTEC in Music Technology which led me to also starting a music production course - however I did a U-turn after the first year and decided to drop out.

I'm aware that the popular programmes such as JET are highly competitive and with the background I have, including only having achieved a C in English, I fear that if I were to enrol on a university course that it would leave me in a huge amount of debt for no real benefit.

One course that's interesting to me is >> This one here << due to it being focused on the type of job I'm wanting (including giving me the year abroad too which I find most important)

I'm not far off 22 and I just don't want to be spending any more time in dead end jobs when I know I'm capable of so much more.

Thanks guys.

Do you mean a C in A level English?

Can ypu speak any Japanese? Or have you got experience of learning any other foreign languages?

I think that the degree looks like a good one due to the fact it is enabling you to live in Japan for a year. But you'd have to consider that university will involve 4 years of hard work, and in this case, time abroad in a foreign culture, therefore away from your family and friends.

A lot of University is what you make of it, ie, if you make yourself more employable through work experience or extracurricular activity, you are much more likely to get a job.

Could you perhaps look at doing some kind of volunteering relevant to teaching English? I spent years helping children at a local primary school with reading. It was immensely rewarding and commented on when I applied for Uni and for jobs.
If you want to teach English, come to Poland.

People will pay you 10 pounds for an hour of CONVERSING with them because you're a native speaker even if you don't have any qualifications.
A can of beer costs 40 pence.
Profit.

Of course it's better if you have a degree or something, then you can work for corporations or language centers. I knew a guy who was paid ~25 pounds per hour for giving classes to small group of corporate employees. Believe me that as an English native speaker you can have a life of luxury in Poland. My parents both earn about 2.5-3 pounds per hour and they support a family of four and two cars with that, and we're reasonably well off. So to earn 10 pounds/hour as a single person is to live in heaven because life is cheap.
Reply 4
Hey guys,

Thanks guys.

If you enjoy health care, have you considered working on an ambulance? Many ambulance services are now recruiting for Emergency Ambulance Crew roles, which don't require any experience or qualifications as it's all on the job training. Your retail experience will have given you great customer service skills and that's a huge part of the job.

As you have already been to uni once you need to be careful about starting a new course. You only get one more go at student funding. You don't want to choose a degree that turns out to not be right for you.

You also need to consider whether you actually want to teach English in Japan. How much have you considered this? Are you just assuming that you'll like teaching English because you speak English so it must be easy? Have you researched Japan? I've seen a lot of people who have chosen this kind of thing but realise they've made a mistake. That doesn't necessarily mean that I think you have, but that I warn you to be careful. You might find that you just get incredibly homesick, or that you find living in Japan isolating as not everyone will speak English.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Origami Bullets
It seems like your first interest is working in healthcare. Have you considered doing an Access to HE course and then progressing to something like nursing, radiography or occupational therapy?

Access to HE courses are one year college courses that are designed for people just like you who have been out of education for a few years and lack the qualifications to go to uni, and it's accepted by every university. It's a very, very common route into nursing in particular - though depending on subject choice you could also progress to a TESOL / language degree too.

http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx

I've looked at the access courses and it's something I've considered, however my biggest interest is within the emergency services - I've read that the NHS do apprenticeship type courses to work in ambulances for example - that would be really great, but every time I've looked on the NHS jobs website, there's been no emergency care assistance opportunities near me.

I'd probably choose to go into healthcare OR TESOL and wouldn't do one and then the other afterwards, doesn't seem sensible - if that's what you were implying I could do?

Original post by Elegantsolution
Do you mean a C in A level English?Can ypu speak any Japanese? Or have you got experience of learning any other foreign languages?I think that the degree looks like a good one due to the fact it is enabling you to live in Japan for a year. But you'd have to consider that university will involve 4 years of hard work, and in this case, time abroad in a foreign culture, therefore away from your family and friends.A lot of University is what you make of it, ie, if you make yourself more employable through work experience or extracurricular activity, you are much more likely to get a job.Could you perhaps look at doing some kind of volunteering relevant to teaching English? I spent years helping children at a local primary school with reading. It was immensely rewarding and commented on when I applied for Uni and for jobs.

Unfortunately no, I have 7 GCSE's at grade C, which includes English, I completed a BTEC in Music Technology rather than do A-levels

I can't currently speak Japanese, I've made myself a little plan on what I will be doing and when though. I will learn the Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana using website like Anki and Memrise whilst also buying the most recommended books on the subject too. I'll then progress to website such as iTalki so I can have 1 to 1's with native speakers so that I can put what I've learned into practice.

I'm very willing to put the hard work in as I understand it'll open the doors for me to not be stuck working dead end jobs, If I blow this opportunity then I'll only have myself to blame.

There's actually a job I've been considering taking which is 'travel training' - Basically where I aid people with autism, aspergers and social anxiety in using public transport to get to and from college with the end goal of making them comfortable enough to do it alone safely.

Original post by Viridiana
If you want to teach English, come to Poland.

People will pay you 10 pounds for an hour of CONVERSING with them because you're a native speaker even if you don't have any qualifications.
A can of beer costs 40 pence.
Profit.

Of course it's better if you have a degree or something, then you can work for corporations or language centers. I knew a guy who was paid ~25 pounds per hour for giving classes to small group of corporate employees. Believe me that as an English native speaker you can have a life of luxury in Poland. My parents both earn about 2.5-3 pounds per hour and they support a family of four and two cars with that, and we're reasonably well off. So to earn 10 pounds/hour as a single person is to live in heaven because life is cheap.

Poland is definitely a country I'd like to visit at some point but it's never struck me as a country I'd want to live in or language I'd want to learn, despite how good that sounds.

Maybe it's just me being negative but I feel like I'd need to have a degree of some sort to be taken seriously if I were to go to Poland and teach people English, I personally would also want to be able to speak Polish effectively too so I'd be able to communicate better with the people I teach.

Original post by Juno
If you enjoy health care, have you considered working on an ambulance? Many ambulance services are now recruiting for Emergency Ambulance Crew roles, which don't require any experience or qualifications as it's all on the job training. Your retail experience will have given you great customer service skills and that's a huge part of the job.

As you have already been to uni once you need to be careful about starting a new course. You only get one more go at student funding. You don't want to choose a degree that turns out to not be right for you.

You also need to consider whether you actually want to teach English in Japan. How much have you considered this? Are you just assuming that you'll like teaching English because you speak English so it must be easy? Have you researched Japan? I've seen a lot of people who have chosen this kind of thing but realise they've made a mistake. That doesn't necessarily mean that I think you have, but that I warn you to be careful. You might find that you just get incredibly homesick, or that you find living in Japan isolating as not everyone will speak English.

As I mentioned in my first quote, the ambulance service is probably what interests me the most, It was unfortunate that I was unsuccessful with my medic application to the army as I felt that would have given me a really good opportunity to then move into the NHS after my time in the forces. I also wrote about how I've looked on the NHS website and not seen any vacancies for any ambulance crew roles near me but I guess I can keep checking.

This is why I chose to make this thread, I don't want to find myself in even more debt by making another bad choice in university - I'll definitely be looking at uni in a different way to first time if I do enrol on a new course.

In regards to teaching English, it's definitely not because I can already speak it so it'll be easy. Japanese culture genuinely interests me, so do the people; I'm very much a people person and I love finding out about others. Languages are something that I can only enjoy when I already have a good appreciation of the country which is why I told the poster above that as good prospect as it is in Poland, I don't think I'd do that as my heart isn't in the country and culture.

In regards to homesickness, I doubt that it'll affect me, travelling and living in another country is one of my dreams, I understand some days might be tough but that's just life.
Reply 6
You've lost me. I really don't understand why you'd spend three years doing a degree you don't sound like you're sure about, but won't wait a while until the job you really want comes up. Yes, it could be a while before that happens but you've then got a few months to really improve your application. Do some volunteering or a qualification or anything.
I've looked at the access courses and it's something I've considered, however my biggest interest is within the emergency services - I've read that the NHS do apprenticeship type courses to work in ambulances for example - that would be really great, but every time I've looked on the NHS jobs website, there's been no emergency care assistance opportunities near me.

I'd probably choose to go into healthcare OR TESOL and wouldn't do one and then the other afterwards, doesn't seem sensible - if that's what you were implying I could do?

How about studying paramedic science at uni? For example, you could do it at Herts Uni with an Access to HE course in nursing or science http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/bsc-hons-paramedic-science (this is just one example - the first that came up on Google - many others are available!). You would also have the option to do FdSc paramedic science (as opposed to BSc) which would mean your graduate in 2 years eg http://www.worcester.ac.uk/courses/pre-hospital-unscheduled-emergency-care-fdsc.html

On these types of courses you'll typically spend 50% of your time in the classroom and 50% of your time learning on the job - so in some ways it's like an apprenticeship with some classroom training too.

I wasn't particularly intending to imply that you try and do both a healthcare course and a TESOL course, though it's worth noting that (given language skills) healthcare degrees are often fairly easy to use abroad. I mainly started talking about healthcare because that seemed to be your first preference and if possible I'd prefer to help someone achieve their first choice not their second :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
You've lost me. I really don't understand why you'd spend three years doing a degree you don't sound like you're sure about, but won't wait a while until the job you really want comes up. Yes, it could be a while before that happens but you've then got a few months to really improve your application. Do some volunteering or a qualification or anything.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm not sure about the course, it's more being unsure about uni as a whole and understanding that it's not going to be easy, that's more my lack of confidence in myself rather than not being sure of the course, the one I linked sounds like an excellent opportunity for me.

Original post by Origami Bullets
How about studying paramedic science at uni? For example, you could do it at Herts Uni with an Access to HE course in nursing or science http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/bsc-hons-paramedic-science (this is just one example - the first that came up on Google - many others are available!). You would also have the option to do FdSc paramedic science (as opposed to BSc) which would mean your graduate in 2 years eg http://www.worcester.ac.uk/courses/pre-hospital-unscheduled-emergency-care-fdsc.html

On these types of courses you'll typically spend 50% of your time in the classroom and 50% of your time learning on the job - so in some ways it's like an apprenticeship with some classroom training too.

I wasn't particularly intending to imply that you try and do both a healthcare course and a TESOL course, though it's worth noting that (given language skills) healthcare degrees are often fairly easy to use abroad. I mainly started talking about healthcare because that seemed to be your first preference and if possible I'd prefer to help someone achieve their first choice not their second :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That actually sounds very interesting so thanks for finding that for me, I'll look further into it.

As for healthcare or TESOL being my first and second choice - my head is generally spinning in that regard and I think I'd really enjoy either if I was given the choice of both. It's interesting you mention that healthcare is easily transferable into different countries as that would be something I'd probably end up trying if I had the healthcare qualifications.

Missing the UCAS cut off by a couple months gives me a chance to not only look around for access courses into the NHS but also time to learn Japanese for if I choose to go down the TESOL route.

Sorry if I seem like I'm scattered with my ideas, thank you very much for the help :jumphug:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9

Are you still looking? If so, London has just advertised for "Trainee Emergency Ambulance Crew" roles on the NHS jobs website. Other services might be advertising too.
If you're aiming for the English teaching gig, look into volunteering options in Japan. There are programs out there that can definitely help, if that's exactly what you're looking for. I think spending time in the culture of the country you want to work in helps a lot more than spending time and money in Uni if you intend to leave anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending