The Student Room Group

Madeleine McCann

What does everyone think about this situation?
Full BBC story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6627605.stm

I for one simply can't imagine what the parents are going through, and I hope sincerely that their little girl is returned to them safely. However, in the back of my mind I find myself wondering why on earth three children under five were left completely unsupervised, even if the parents were only at a restaurant 50m away and checking on them every half hour. There are quite often babysitting services available at resorts like these and it makes me wonder why the parents didn't take advantage of such services (even if the resort itself doesn't provide a service, resorts like these can quite often recommend services). I appreciate that babysitting services can be expensive - but would you put a price on the safety of a child?

Thoughts on a postcard...

Scroll to see replies

Angelil

I for one simply can't imagine what the parents are going through, and I hope sincerely that their little girl is returned to them safely. However, in the back of my mind I find myself wondering why on earth three children under five were left completely unsupervised, even if the parents were only at a restaurant 50m away and checking on them every half hour. There are quite often babysitting services available at resorts like these and it makes me wonder why the parents didn't take advantage of such services (even if the resort itself doesn't provide a service, resorts like these can quite often recommend services). I appreciate that babysitting services can be expensive - but would you put a price on the safety of a child?

Will a post do? It's easy to condemn them and say they should have got a babysitter (and indeed they should have, or taken the child with them), however it's one of those "but I only turned my back for 5 minutes" situations isn't it. You assume something bad won't happen, because 9 times out of 10 it doesn't. In retrospect though, I think they'd obviously regret the decision.

Hopefully the girl can be found safe and well though.
I agree, it wouldn't have happened if they hadn't been left unattended. I can't imagine the pain they are going through, and I really hope they find her alive and can safely return her to her family again.
Reply 3
^^ Indeed. And obviously we're all human, we all make mistakes, and it is quite easy to point the finger.
I think I agree with you Angelil, it seems unusual not to take advantage of the creche services that such places offer. Especially as the girl who got taken is not theyoungest child. But as people have said, it's easy to point the finger.

Anyway, it must be horrible for them to be thinking 'if we'd just got a babysitter this might not have happened.' It just compounds their fears and guilt. Hope she is found soon
Reply 5
Indeed, when I first heard about it I assumed they were downstairs in the hotel restaurant, which of course is still reckless but not as bad as being in a restaurant down the street... :s-smilie:

Thing is surely if you take a family holiday you eat with the kids? Even if they do wanna eat crappy food at some ungodly hour. That's kids for you :confused:
Angelil

I cannot get my head round why they left the children too - very stupid if you ask me.

But I also think that issue should be put aside for now until the girl is (hopefully) found alive and well.

Once he has ben found, it is then time to look to see if the parents were negligent.
Reply 7
I feel very sorry for the family and hope that they are able to find the girl safe. However, like most of you I find myself questioning why three young children were left on there own. I know it was only 50m away but as this case has proven anything can happen.
Reply 8
I feel sorry for the child and I hope to God that she has not be harmed. However, i have absolutely no sympathy at all for the parents. What sort of idiots leave a child alone for an hour? It doesn't matter if they were "only" across the road. Aside from the abduction thing, there are plenty of objects and scenarios in a normal house that could potentially kill or seriously injure a small child.

I can't believe the way the media have handled this either. If the parents were teenagers or working class, they would be be absolutely ripped to shreds for neglecting their three defenseless children. Because they are supposedly pillars of the community, these idiots have been met with all the sympathy in the world and it's just not right. I know that in hindsight, they will obviously be regretting it but the fact of the matter remains that if their daughter has been raped or murdered then it will be largely their fault.

Very ironic that both parents are doctors! If you took a clumsy toddler to the doctors surgery with a tiny bruise on the backside, your GP would have social services melting your door down.
I feel terribly terribly sorry that they little girl got abducted - I seriously she gets found safe and well...
...but I simply cannot imagine what the hell posessed them to leave three very young children alone like that.

There is simply no excuse for them having gone to dinner and leaving their kids alone. Anything could have bloody happened to them. I don't care that they were in a restaurant that wasn't far - these children were far too young to be left alone. It was extremely irresponsible.

What's the point of going on a family holiday anyway and not eating with the children? That is just weird in itself. If they REALLY wanted to go and eat without them they should have used a child-minding service. I heard on the news that there was indeed one available they just didn't take advantage of it.

I hope for the little girl's sake that she is alright.....and then I hope that those parents get charged with negligence.
Reply 10
No one should leave 3 children that young alone. Even though they were in a locked room anything can happen. As has just sadly been proven :frown:

I really hope & pray they find the poor girl. I can't imagine what she must be/ have gone through.
She is such a pretty little girl too, and this sort of thing happens alot... british children being abducted. My friends family were on holliday in Cyprus, turned there back for a moment and some man was trying to lead their little toddler girl off.

I do like everyone hope the girl is returned safe and sound but I have a feeling it might not happen :frown:
I'd be surprised if the poor little thing turns up safe and well after this - I don't think I've ever heard of that happening. As others have said, it was sheer folly to leave the children in the house on their own, even if they were only 50m away and checking every half hour. Whoever abducted her was probably watching the arrangement and saw a window of opportunity. Really sad and I feel really sorry for the parents, but why they didn't get a babysitter is anybody's guess.
i was actually shocked by this. i read it in the times. what sort of parent leaves their child unsupervised like that even if they are checking up on her every thirty minutes. I wouldnt do that in london theres no way in hell id do it abroad.
Although i do feel sorry for the parents i cant help but think its their own fault for letting this happen. If they were a least bit responsible they would have at least got someone trustworthy to watch over her.
as some one mentioned it was one of those situations where u turn ur back for 5 mins thinking nothing will happen coz it doesnt usually...it would be really sad if someone has done something to this little girl - i hope she is safe and sound and returned soon to her family. i cant begin to imagine what they are going through :frown:
Yeah I don't understand why the children were left on their own. That is highly irresponsible. Anything could have happened and unfortunately has. :frown:

I hope for the safe return of the girl to their parents.
Reply 16
Widowmaker
Yeah I don't understand why the children were left on their own. That is highly irresponsible. Anything could have happened and unfortunately has. :frown:

I hope for the safe return of the girl to their parents.

I agree. I hope she gets found safe.
little one
as some one mentioned it was one of those situations where u turn ur back for 5 mins thinking nothing will happen coz it doesnt usually

But they didn't turn their backs for five minutes, on a beach or in a supermarket, they deliberately chose to leave 3 children under 4 years old alone. It's not the same. And unfortunately that is what is going to haunt these poor people if anything, God forbid, happens to Maddie. I don't feel they were neglectful or bad parents, they just relaxed too much and made a bad decision, especially as a babysitting service was available and they declined to use it.

I really hope no harm comes to this little girl, because how on earth are they going to live with themselves if anything does?

Newspapers are reporting today that the police had a prime suspect, and his "profile" means he's expected not to hurt her; they fully expect she's still alive and in the area. Fingers crossed.
Reply 18
Angelil

I think that's what happens when you don't look after your children properly:rolleyes:

Obviously i hope she is found safe and well, but i think the parents must accept their part in the incident due to their irresponsible parenting

It's easy to condemn them and say they should have got a babysitter (and indeed they should have, or taken the child with them), however it's one of those "but I only turned my back for 5 minutes" situations isn't it. You assume something bad won't happen, because 9 times out of 10 it doesn't. In retrospect though, I think they'd obviously regret the decision

I don't think it is one of those, because they shouldn't have done it in the first place. My parents certainly would never considered leaving me at 3 with 2 younger siblings while they went off.

EDIT:

wow, everyone agrees. By the way the press are talking about, i felt i was the only one who thought they were wrong to be left.
F1 fanatic
Will a post do? It's easy to condemn them and say they should have got a babysitter (and indeed they should have, or taken the child with them), however it's one of those "but I only turned my back for 5 minutes" situations isn't it. You assume something bad won't happen, because 9 times out of 10 it doesn't. In retrospect though, I think they'd obviously regret the decision.

Hopefully the girl can be found safe and well though.
It is too easy to criticise in hindsight, yes. But it's just, what with them being on holiday in an unfamiliar area, not knowing your neighbours and staying in what sounds like an unsecured building, it was just too much of a risk to take.

I really hope they find her and that she is able to be brave.

Latest

Trending

Trending