The Student Room Group

A-level English Language, how well did you do...?

As a mature student I decided to study GCSE English Language through Adult Community Learning. I was pleased with the result of grade A. Now undertaking A-level English Language though distance learning.

Has anyone else studied this subject at both GCSE and A-level? If so how did you do and how much more difficult is the A-level comparatively to GCSE?

Reply 1
Anyone?? :smile:
Original post by The Seer
As a mature student I decided to study GCSE English Language through Adult Community Learning. I was pleased with the result of grade A. Now undertaking A-level English Language though distance learning.

Has anyone else studied this subject at both GCSE and A-level? If so how did you do and how much more difficult is the A-level comparatively to GCSE?

here's more terminology you will have to use and the structure is different too.

It feels as though it's a lot more "sciencey" because you have to deconstruct everything until it's you get to its most simplest form. It's a lot more technical as you have to know terms that go within a term, within a term - imagine a Russian China doll. A sentence within a clause, a clause within a function, a function with a phrase, a phrase within a root, a root within a word.

A-level Language is all about the nuts and bolts of Language. Whilst the other half is all about how Language is used within the individual. So you'll be learning about how Children acquire language through speaking and writing. So this is more psychology than language. It's an interesting unit if you are into the mind and its processes.

You also learn how language is applied to society - which is more sociology. So, you'll learn things like different accents and dialects across England and even American English. This is English as a Global Language. Then, you'll learn things like bilingualism too. Also, how different genders use language differently, sexuality and occupation too such as code-switching.

Get to study History of the English Language which is like a History lesson but about words and grammar and all that!

As I mentioned from the beginning, it's a lot more technical than GCSE and ton to remember. You also get to learn language theories about gender, etymology, grammarians, linguists and all sorts!

Quick Reply

Latest