The Student Room Group

Question about trying to transfer to Year 2 on Adult Nursing course.

Hi everyone,Sorry if this question will be a bit long and complicated but basically I really am at a loss for what to do and wonder if anybody can help me or has any advice for my situation,

I started University in September 2014 on an Adult Nursing BSc at Canterbury. After being there for 6 months or so I realised that I was really not happy being far away from family (in Swansea and my husband in Bristol) so in March last year I went to my tutor and asked about transferring to UWE. He told me to write a letter to UWE requesting to transfer to their second year of the programme. I did this and their admissions tutor requested lots of info from me which I gave him and he told me to apply through UCAS in the summer and then I’d be invited for an interview to join the Feb 2015 cohort. I did all of the things he requested from me, sent personal statement and tutor reference through UCAS, got accepted for funding from the health board, attended the Open Day at UWE and spoke to this admissions tutor face to face, and sent transcripts of all my modules and marks (I passed all my essays/exams/placements and got some good marks 71% in the anatomy and physiology exam) so imagine my surprise when my UCAS application was returned with ‘rejected’ in September and didn’t include any explanation. I emailed the admissions tutor about it and he basically said ‘there was no guarantee you would get a place’ even though I had been in contact with him for 7 months about this transfer and he had told me I would be invited to interview. So I wrote an email of complaint with all our correspondence and just said that he hadn’t been straight with me about it and that I had now left my course and was at a loss for what to do. So another admissions tutor said they would invite me for interview. By the time the interview day came round, I was so nervous and it didn’t really go well at all, I felt so awkward as the first admissions tutor I’d complained about was around everywhere, so I wasn’t too surprised when they rejected me after interview in December.

So since then, I have emailed University of Swansea and explained that I passed Year 1 of the Adult Nursing degree and left Canterbury University in August 2015 and I asked about applying to join the Year 2 at Swansea University in September 2016. I got a sort of vague response from the lecturer I emailed, saying that transfer requests apply to those currently on a programme of study with other universities but it appears from your email you are no longer a student. I emailed back clarifying that I am no longer a student as I left the course 6 months ago at the end of Year 1 but that I did complete every module/component. He hasn’t got back to me yet so I will chase it up in a few days.This whole situation has been incredibly frustrating for me, and I just did not realise it would be this hard to transfer! I’m at a total loss now because I have Year 1of the degree under my belt but there seems to be no process where I can join another university for Year 2. It’s looking like I’ll have to apply to start in Year 1 all over again and I’ve missed this September’s deadline now. Does anybody have any advice?

Thank you in advance
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Truff20
Hi everyone,Sorry if this question will be a bit long and complicated but basically I really am at a loss for what to do and wonder if anybody can help me or has any advice for my situation,

I started University in September 2014 on an Adult Nursing BSc at Canterbury. After being there for 6 months or so I realised that I was really not happy being far away from family (in Swansea and my husband in Bristol) so in March last year I went to my tutor and asked about transferring to UWE. He told me to write a letter to UWE requesting to transfer to their second year of the programme. I did this and their admissions tutor requested lots of info from me which I gave him and he told me to apply through UCAS in the summer and then I’d be invited for an interview to join the Feb 2015 cohort. I did all of the things he requested from me, sent personal statement and tutor reference through UCAS, got accepted for funding from the health board, attended the Open Day at UWE and spoke to this admissions tutor face to face, and sent transcripts of all my modules and marks (I passed all my essays/exams/placements and got some good marks 71% in the anatomy and physiology exam) so imagine my surprise when my UCAS application was returned with ‘rejected’ in September and didn’t include any explanation. I emailed the admissions tutor about it and he basically said ‘there was no guarantee you would get a place’ even though I had been in contact with him for 7 months about this transfer and he had told me I would be invited to interview. So I wrote an email of complaint with all our correspondence and just said that he hadn’t been straight with me about it and that I had now left my course and was at a loss for what to do. So another admissions tutor said they would invite me for interview. By the time the interview day came round, I was so nervous and it didn’t really go well at all, I felt so awkward as the first admissions tutor I’d complained about was around everywhere, so I wasn’t too surprised when they rejected me after interview in December.

So since then, I have emailed University of Swansea and explained that I passed Year 1 of the Adult Nursing degree and left Canterbury University in August 2015 and I asked about applying to join the Year 2 at Swansea University in September 2016. I got a sort of vague response from the lecturer I emailed, saying that transfer requests apply to those currently on a programme of study with other universities but it appears from your email you are no longer a student. I emailed back clarifying that I am no longer a student as I left the course 6 months ago at the end of Year 1 but that I did complete every module/component. He hasn’t got back to me yet so I will chase it up in a few days.This whole situation has been incredibly frustrating for me, and I just did not realise it would be this hard to transfer! I’m at a total loss now because I have Year 1of the degree under my belt but there seems to be no process where I can join another university for Year 2. It’s looking like I’ll have to apply to start in Year 1 all over again and I’ve missed this September’s deadline now. Does anybody have any advice?

Thank you in advance

Most universities with nursing will only allow you to apply to year 2 if you have already completed the course and are doing a dual registration.
Unfortunately, most universities will advise to not leave the course until your transfer is confirmed due to the nature of the funding and competition for places.
I do believe from what you've written that there is no option but to start from year 1 again unfortunately too. Sorry for your circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by deviant182
Most universities with nursing will only allow you to apply to year 2 if you have already completed the course and are doing a dual registration.
Unfortunately, most universities will advise to not leave the course until your transfer is confirmed due to the nature of the funding and competition for places.
I do believe from what you've written that there is no option but to start from year 1 again unfortunately too. Sorry for your circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much deviant182 for your honest feedback, it has really helped me to accept the situation for what it is and move on to looking at applying to Year 1 again.

If you don't mind one more quick question, I wonder if you know if I could apply for clearing this summer? I read about it and I know to apply you have to have actually applied for unis in this year. Well I applied for UWE in September through UCAS for Feb '16 entry and was rejected, so would I be eligible for clearing through that?

Thank you again deviant182 and have a nice day!
Try emailing the individual universities you wish to apply for. Some will advise you if it is even worth applying for clearing etc. Plenty of people make last minute applications for nursing in the summer so you won't be the only one!
I would advise contacting them to check before you do to see what your best course of action will be.
Good luck!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Truff20
Thank you very much deviant182 for your honest feedback, it has really helped me to accept the situation for what it is and move on to looking at applying to Year 1 again.

If you don't mind one more quick question, I wonder if you know if I could apply for clearing this summer? I read about it and I know to apply you have to have actually applied for unis in this year. Well I applied for UWE in September through UCAS for Feb '16 entry and was rejected, so would I be eligible for clearing through that?

Thank you again deviant182 and have a nice day!

Hi there, so sorry to hear about your situation! I hope Swansea come back to you with some good news!

You should be eligible for Clearing if you started a UCAS application in September 2015 as Feb/March and September intakes are all part of the 2016 cycle. You could also be able to use Extra as of now? If you haven't heard of it, I think it opens in Feb and you can add one extra choice at a time until Clearing opens. If you get rejected from that choice you can then add another etc.

It might be worth looking at universities you're interested in to see if they have a March 2016 intake as I've seen a couple of unis advertising their March intake as they still have places given it's less popular than September.

A final thing to consider would be seeing if CCCU will take you back. I know the goal is to be closer to your family but with the bursary changes happening this year, you could end up having to pay your fees and start from year one. Whilst CCCU isn't ideal it's something to consider when compared to £9,000 fees and no bursary.

Best of luck with everything, I hope you get something sorted soon! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Truff20

Thank you in advance

Hello, thank you for getting in touch. I have contacted our College of Human and Health Science and I am afraid that you would need to apply through UCAS and start at day 1 again but you can apply to us. If you have any further questions please contact Jon Hinkin who will be able to assist you - [email protected]
Please let me know if you have any further questions about Swansea University and I will try my best to help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending