The Student Room Group

Secondary Science teaching (X130) (QTS)

This course was offered to me by Nottingham Trent after I had passed the interview.
Once I had found out I found out I was over the moon and accepted the offer and made it my firm choice.

After about a week of accepting this offer (22/01/16) Nottingham Trent emailed me today (29/01/16) and told me that they will no longer be running this course for this year (2016-2017).

This news has really hit me hard as this course was something I very much liked the look of and banked on.

I really do not know what to do at this stage so I would appreciate it if someone could give me some advice?

Thank you.
Why don't you want to do a conventional science degree? You can do a Secondary Science PGCE afterwards, or train on the job with School Direct. I'm pretty sceptical of secondary teaching with QTS degrees, the fact they are so rare makes me think schools don't particularly like them.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
Why don't you want to do a conventional science degree? You can do a Secondary Science PGCE afterwards, or train on the job with School Direct. I'm pretty sceptical of secondary teaching with QTS degrees, the fact they are so rare makes me think schools don't particularly like them.

Thank you for your reply.
The QTS degree allows you to cover 1 of the three sciences with enough detail for you to teach it at ALEVEL standards. This course takes 3 years instead of the normal for example Chemistry degree+PGCE in 4years.
Plus it is a lot easier to get onto this degree than a chemistry degree. However I am confused as to why NTU decided to withdraw this course.
Original post by tayyab2016
The QTS degree allows you to cover 1 of the three sciences with enough detail for you to teach it at ALEVEL standards. This course takes 3 years instead of the normal for example Chemistry degree+PGCE in 4years.
Plus it is a lot easier to get onto this degree than a chemistry degree. However I am confused as to why NTU decided to withdraw this course.

you could ask them why it was cancelled :unsure:

another possibility is taking a different BSc and then doing a subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) course in a shortage subject - again it's less straight forward.
Original post by tayyab2016

Just because a university says something doesn't make it true. I would be very surprised if schools let someone with a general science degree teach A level chemistry, biology or physics. An extra year is not the end of the world, and like I said, you could train to be a teacher on the job via School Direct so you don't have to stay at uni for four years if you don't want to. The most likely reason why NTU aren't running the degree is lack of interest.

What are your A level grades if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 5
Original post by Snufkin
Just because a university says something doesn't make it true. I would be very surprised if schools let someone with a general science degree teach A level chemistry, biology or physics. An extra year is not the end of the world, and like I said, you could train to be a teacher on the job via School Direct so you don't have to stay at uni for four years if you don't want to. The most likely reason why NTU aren't running the degree is lack of interest.

What are your A level grades if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah I do see where you are coming from so I guess I will do some research into that... thank you ! :smile:

I am predicted 3C's by the end of A2 for Chemistry, Biology and English Language.
Reply 6
Original post by Joinedup
you could ask them why it was cancelled :unsure:

another possibility is taking a different BSc and then doing a subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) course in a shortage subject - again it's less straight forward.

I did ask them and they said it could be to do with the lack of applicants or other reasons...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending