The Student Room Group

Insurance Price Increase

Last year I insured my car for around £680 with 1 years no claims.

I have just checked what it is going to cost this year and it has increased to a minimum of £960! I have had no accidents, the car is still in warranty and I now have 2 years no claims.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen recently?
Reply 1
Insurance companies often do this in the hope that you don't try and shop around for insurance. Have you tried a price comparison website? You could try and phone them but they will just tell you that "insurance premiums have increased by 40% from last year" which is a load of rubbish. I would be very surprised if you can't find a better deal elsewhere.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Try direct line, they were cheapest for me. I have 2 years no claims, so same as you.
Every time I was quoted higher by my current insurance provider, always change company.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Talon
Insurance companies often do this in the hope that you don't try and shop around for insurance. Have you tried a price comparison website? You could try and phone them but they will just tell you that "insurance premiums have increased by 40% from last year" which is a load of rubbish. I would be very surprised if you can't find a better deal elsewhere.

This, quite a lot of insurers take advantage of the fact that many people renew their policies without checking the price. It would ring them up and ask them for the 'new customer' price, but also do some shopping around.
Reply 4
Just to clear it up the huge increase is actually from a price comparison site. I've checked some others such as direct line who have actually quoted me more. The insurer I'm with has given me a renewal quote that is actually cheaper than everything on price comparison sites.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how it can go up so much across the board but after a bit of research it seems that down south (I live in the North West) a hell of a lot of Fiesta ST models are being stolen and making their way abroad.
Original post by JordE
Last year I insured my car for around £680 with 1 years no claims.

I have just checked what it is going to cost this year and it has increased to a minimum of £960! I have had no accidents, the car is still in warranty and I now have 2 years no claims.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen recently?

Hi

thank you very much for doing this thread

My renewal with young drivers Co-op in due on February 22 so under 3 weeks from now.

I received a letter about my renewal about 4 days ago and instead of it being around £65-£68 per month, it has increased to over £71 per month despite me having the same car, being a year old, a further year's No claims bonus, and despite scoring positive high
points on my online dashboard for the smart box they have increased my premium.

I sent an email to them asking why, they came up with excuses of change of car aand this car is more costly to insure and also that they have had more claims and crashes I think it read.
I explained I am already paying the extra money for insuring my new car and have been since the day I rang and told them about the car swap last year.

I asked in a further email to them if they could reduce my premium but got a reply back reading that they couldn't. I am going to stay with them for another year but am considering changing my insurer next year

it is totally ridiculous what they are doing
Original post by thad33
Try direct line, they were cheapest for me. I have 2 years no claims, so same as you.
Every time I was quoted higher by my current insurance provider, always change company.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Direct line are a joke. I just got quoted £6031 for a 2002 Ford KA. With the insurance company I am on at the moment, they quoted me £1,800 for a 2 liter Audi A4. And £800 for my KA. they had no answer when I told them that.
Original post by Martinez96
Direct line are a joke. I just got quoted £6031 for a 2002 Ford KA. With the insurance company I am on at the moment, they quoted me £1,800 for a 2 liter Audi A4. And £800 for my KA. they had no answer when I told them that.

Put simply - they didn't want to insure you so priced you out. Different insurance companies will pursue different categories of driver. So some companies go for the older age group and some take on the more challenging younger group. Horses for courses. But the value of the car you drive has little to do with anything. It is the cost of compensation and medical bills you cause when you have an accident that they are covering in the premium.

Changing insurance companies is something I have had to do every year for the last 15 years. It always goes up and you can always get it cheaper elsewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending