The Student Room Group

Need help! Do I need to be in the country during the summer?

Hi, I have a situation that needs resolving pretty quickly and wasnt sure who to ask so I've posted it on here...

Basically I normally spend the whole summer in greece because my dads greek. I've applied to uni and accepted an offer from huddersfield as my firm choice. I've sent off for their accomodation pack.

I've been told by a few people that i know that I will need to be in the country for when the results come through and stuff... Im doing a BTEC National Diploma so I dont do exams and should know my final grade before the A level results are released..

I need to know if I need to be back home or not as I need to book my flights to greece soon, Im planning on coming back on the 28th of august...

Can anyone see this causing problems? I have easy access to the phone and the internet in greece.

Cheers for the help..
Reply 1
I would have thought it would certainly help to be in the UK but if you're not waiting on A Levels it should be theoretically possible to do it from abroad if you have phone and PC.
hmm im planning on being away for summer and i will be waiting a-level results... wud i have to come back for the results?
Whether you're doing A Levels or not, if you miss your offer you'll need to be in the UK after A levels results day for Clearing. And also, since most students do do A Levels, a lot of unis send out important forms in the days following results day. So if you can be in the UK it's best to be really.

If you are away, you'll need someone to open your post for you to check you don't get any urgent forms. And you'll need to work so so hard to ensure that you do not miss your offer.
If you apply for accommodation before you go and you meet your firm offer, it's fine. You'll probably have some forms to fill in for things like module choices and student card, but I'd imagine you'll still be able to do those when you get back. If you miss your firm but get into your insurance, you'll probably have to apply for accommodation then depending on the uni's policy, but that can usually be done online. It's only if you miss both offers that being abroad will cause real problems because you'll need to go through Clearing. So if you're reasonably confident of preferably getting into your firm and at least your insurance, you should be OK.
Hey, I'll be abroad pretty much all summer too, I shouldn't have a problem getting into my firm, so if i do, what will i need to do - i mean do i have to send some kind of confirmation thing and if so, can that be done online? obviously if i miss my offers i'll be spending quite a bit of money ringing my unis lol, although i think my firm choice is normally in clearing so hopefully i'll be ok. if i have to go into clearing then it's gunna be a nightmare, actually i think i'd take a gap year, cuz it took me ages to find courses and unis that i liked and i think these are the only two i'd be prepared to go to. although birmingham was ok.

anyway, i've babbled. so basically, what do you have to do if you get into your firm? i mean, is it stuff that my mum could do for me, or stuff i could do online, or stuff where the deadline isn't too soon and so my mum could forward it onto me and then i could send it back?

cheers x
ange de la nuit
anyway, i've babbled. so basically, what do you have to do if you get into your firm? i mean, is it stuff that my mum could do for me, or stuff i could do online, or stuff where the deadline isn't too soon and so my mum could forward it onto me and then i could send it back?

Depending on Nottingham's policy, you might have to send back the AS12 slip (which UCAS will send you) to confirm your place, but if I remember correctly, it's just a matter of ticking a box, so your mum could easily do that for you. Apart from that, all I had to do for Exeter was choose my modules, register for the health centre and apply for a student card (with a passport photo) but I don't think the deadlines were that soon, so your mum could probably forward them to you and you could send them from there.

Latest