The Student Room Group

Studying Abroad in England - Possible?

Hi!

I just joined the site and I wasn't sure where to post this, so I hope posting here is okay! I asked this same question on another website but I was told that this one could be a bit more help. I've been thinking about studying abroad in the UK for a while now, specifically England. I've thought through all the pros and cons, but when I was researching various universities, I realized that the way higher education is done in England is vastly different than here in the US.

Right now I'm in the second semester of my freshman year at a community college, and I had planned on finishing two years here before transferring to a university. Of course, things changed and I began looking into studying abroad rather than transferring to a university in my state. The thing is, I want to know if transferring to a UK university from my college is even possible, because I understand students in the UK usually have programs that last three to four years, depending on what they choose (?) I'm unsure how that would work for me... I don't want my two years at a community college to be for nothing, and I end up going to a UK university as a "freshman" and staying for three years (which is obviously pointless and wouldn't happen.) I was hoping to finish out my undergrad there, but then of course I realized how differently things are done.

So my question is basically: is it possible to work something out so my two years count as the first year of, for example, a three year psychology program at a UK university? Or if they count as anything else and I'm able to transfer instead of having to start out as a freshman. It's all really confusing to me but I would appreciate any input. I want to find out early on if this is even possible for me to do so I don't get too attached to the idea of studying abroad. I also understand Scottish universities work differently than English ones, so any advice on that would be helpful too.

Thanks!
Original post by rosarium
Hi!

I just joined the site and I wasn't sure where to post this, so I hope posting here is okay! I asked this same question on another website but I was told that this one could be a bit more help. I've been thinking about studying abroad in the UK for a while now, specifically England. I've thought through all the pros and cons, but when I was researching various universities, I realized that the way higher education is done in England is vastly different than here in the US.

Right now I'm in the second semester of my freshman year at a community college, and I had planned on finishing two years here before transferring to a university. Of course, things changed and I began looking into studying abroad rather than transferring to a university in my state. The thing is, I want to know if transferring to a UK university from my college is even possible, because I understand students in the UK usually have programs that last three to four years, depending on what they choose (?) I'm unsure how that would work for me... I don't want my two years at a community college to be for nothing, and I end up going to a UK university as a "freshman" and staying for three years (which is obviously pointless and wouldn't happen.) I was hoping to finish out my undergrad there, but then of course I realized how differently things are done.

So my question is basically: is it possible to work something out so my two years count as the first year of, for example, a three year psychology program at a UK university? Or if they count as anything else and I'm able to transfer instead of having to start out as a freshman. It's all really confusing to me but I would appreciate any input. I want to find out early on if this is even possible for me to do so I don't get too attached to the idea of studying abroad. I also understand Scottish universities work differently than English ones, so any advice on that would be helpful too.

Thanks!

It's unlikely that you'd be able to transfer to a UK university as a permanent student but by all means enquire, however its worth looking into if your college offers an exchange programme- that way your time at College would count & you could study in the UK.
Hey :smile:

I’m a business and marketing student in Glasgow, and was wondering if I could just ask a quick question for my dissertation:

When choosing to study at a UK University, what factors aremost important in your decision?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending