The Student Room Group

BA Fine Art 2016 applications

After reading through fine art application threads from previous years, I felt I should start one for this year ! Thought it could be a place for people to ask questions/relieve stress etc :smile:

So where are people applying??
Im applying to: Goldsmiths, Newcastle, the Slade, Brighton
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ylmf
I'm applying to do Fine Art at Newcastle, Glasgow (Painting and Printmaking), The Slade and Chelsea. Has anyone heard back from Glasgow / Newcastle about interviews?

I haven't heard back from Newcastle, but I'm not expecting to for a week or so, since I only sent them my portfolio a few days ago
Reply 2
i sent my portfolio to Newcastle on the 18th - still haven't heard back though, will have to see.
So who's prepared for the Slade portfolio drop next week? (Not me)
Reply 4
Original post by a_cmm
I haven't heard back from Newcastle, but I'm not expecting to for a week or so, since I only sent them my portfolio a few days ago

So happy about this thread!!!! and ditto I sent my portfolio in to newcastle pretty recently - still super nervous though! Has anyone been to an open day?

and I'm applying to Newcastle, CSM, Leeds college of art, bournemouth, Winchester
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by creamteapunk
So who's prepared for the Slade portfolio drop next week? (Not me)

I'm slowly getting there, but don't feel ready yet >< It seems the standard has to be very high to just get given an interview
Is anyone considering Lancaster?
Original post by ylmf
I'm applying to do Fine Art at Newcastle, Glasgow (Painting and Printmaking), The Slade and Chelsea. Has anyone heard back from Glasgow / Newcastle about interviews?

I've applied to the GSA for Fine art photography, and have an interview next week.
Everyone I come across haven't heard back yet. How even is that?
Reply 8
I've applied for CSM and Chelsea, got a date for an interview for CSM yesterday. 3 march 09:45.

scary nice, anyone know how many get a full portfolio review? and the total number of applicants?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by maxlar
I've applied for CSM and Chelsea, got a date for an interview for CSM yesterday. 3 march 09:45.

scary nice, anyone know how many get a full portfolio review? and the total number of applicants?

You got a fine art interview? Jealous! Not sure.. but doubt they interview that many in comparison to the amount of applicants, so well done!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Rose2020
You got a fine art interview? Jealous! Not sure.. but doubt they interview that many in comparison to the amount of applicants, so well done!

Thanks, I'm not sure what to think, gotta fly to London I guess. Maybe I'll just mail an USB.

I barely know anything about the school.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by maxlar
Thanks, I'm not sure what to think, gotta fly to London I guess. Maybe I'll just mail an USB.

I barely know anything about the school.

So you haven't been to an open day? From what I've seen and heard it's slightly more Fashion based (Although, Fine art students aren't allowed to use a lot of the fashion equipment #gutted)

Also, obviously there is the uproar about the lack of tuition hours... But that is just a bit of a general London issue...

On the upside the Fine art facilities were really good and they had a lot of Photography studios and green rooms

So if not there, where else have you applied?
Reply 12
Original post by Rose2020
So you haven't been to an open day? From what I've seen and heard it's slightly more Fashion based (Although, Fine art students aren't allowed to use a lot of the fashion equipment #gutted)

Also, obviously there is the uproar about the lack of tuition hours... But that is just a bit of a general London issue...

On the upside the Fine art facilities were really good and they had a lot of Photography studios and green rooms

So if not there, where else have you applied?

Hm I see, yeah I've heard that they are well known for their fashion, I wonder how the fine art education is! but I just want my own space and be left alone most of the time, with opportunities to show my work. I'm from Sweden and I have only been to London once, and I never went to CSM. I wonder if you get your own space?

I applied for Chelsea as well, no response from them yet. I kind of got lazy and didn't end up applying for Slade, Goldsmith and Camberwell, because I'm busy with a couple of applications for Swedish schools as well.(they are free! no tuition fees!)
Kind of amusing that I got a portfolio review for CSM, I'm proud of my work but my application was filled with badly taken photographs of my work, and I didn't bother to write the 250 word statement.

How about you, are you applying for fine art as well, and which schools if so?
Original post by a_cmm
After reading through fine art application threads from previous years, I felt I should start one for this year ! Thought it could be a place for people to ask questions/relieve stress etc :smile:

So where are people applying??
Im applying to: Goldsmiths, Newcastle, the Slade, Brighton (fine art critical practise)

Ive applied to newcastle uni, chester, coventry, leeds college of art and manchester met. Im quite skeptical because my art alevel grades havent been amazing so im worried that im not quite ready for uni art level haha has any of you had interviews in one of the unis i applied to? If yes, how was it? :smile:
Original post by maxlar
Hm I see, yeah I've heard that they are well known for their fashion, I wonder how the fine art education is! but I just want my own space and be left alone most of the time, with opportunities to show my work. I'm from Sweden and I have only been to London once, and I never went to CSM. I wonder if you get your own space?

I applied for Chelsea as well, no response from them yet. I kind of got lazy and didn't end up applying for Slade, Goldsmith and Camberwell, because I'm busy with a couple of applications for Swedish schools as well.(they are free! no tuition fees!)
Kind of amusing that I got a portfolio review for CSM, I'm proud of my work but my application was filled with badly taken photographs of my work, and I didn't bother to write the 250 word statement.

How about you, are you applying for fine art as well, and which schools if so?

From what I saw people did seem to have their own studio space - but I suspect it depends on year and what work you do (The painters that I saw all seemed to have spread about)

Don't think many people have heard from Chelsea yet... Yeah fair enough, I guess given the choice not that much point in wracking up the debt!

Really shouldn't find that funny - given CSM haven't got back to me - still am though. The irony I spent so long on my portfolio! Damn, your work must be pretty good...

Yeah, Fine art - CSM is the only London uni I've applied for.. I guess it's kind of my brave choice. Other than there it's Newcastle, Leeds College of art, Winchester and Bournemouth.
I've applied for Fine art at Slade, Goldsmiths, Manchester Met, Nottingham Trent, and Loughborough. I haven't had any interviews yet but i have soon for Nottingham and Loughborough:eek: I handed my portfolio in to Slade yesterday for the submission, and i haven't heard anything back from manchester at all yet.. please keep me updated with all of your interviews i'd love to hear how they go!
Uni of Leeds interview tomorrow; anyone considering Leeds?!
Nervous!:redface:
Original post by poppyjoneslittle
Uni of Leeds interview tomorrow; anyone considering Leeds?!
Nervous!:redface:

Ive got mine at leeds tomorrow too. Im so nervous. What time is yours at?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by a_cmm
I have an interview for Manchester Met on 15th Feb for joint Fine Art & Art history. Haven't heard from Newcastle since sending off my online portfolio.
Have you thought about doing a foundation course? I'm on one at the moment. I'd recommend it! it has given me time to develop my art practise and help me figure out that I do want to take Fine Art further, rather than another subject. (I think some application deadlines have passed but I'm sure some are still open)
I wouldn't worry about your a-level grades too much- the grading criteria for a-level is so formulaic, (I get a sense art colleges see it as a bit of a joke)

Let me know how your interview at manchester met goes because i applied for joint art history and fine art. I applied for foundation but i was hoping id get into a uni without doing it haha
Original post by Kasia1259
Ive got mine at leeds tomorrow too. Im so nervous. What time is yours at?

Sorry, only just seen this! Mine was it 1:00pm, unsure how it went really
How was yours?

Quick Reply