The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering

Hi am doing btec engineering with alevel maths ive been predicted A in maths and D*D in engineering i want to know if id be able to do chem eng without chemistry. I did physics for my As and got an A but i dropped it because i hate alevels.And i couldnt be asked to pick up another alevel. I applied for leeds sheffield and loughborough and received offers from them. Also has chemical engineering got alot of chemistry in it?lastly do you know someone that does chem eng without maths. Oh btw am doing a gap year and am thinking of self teaching myself chemistry which chemistry is involved in chem eng is it organic or inorganic? Thanks in advance
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Also has chemical engineering got alot of chemistry in it?
the name of the course tells you it's actually chemistry based, and oh a lot and i mean a lot of it is maths.

lastly do you know someone that does chem eng without maths?
i personally don't know anyone but i highly doubt it.

I'm doing a gap year and am thinking of self teaching myself chemistry which chemistry is involved in chem eng is it organic or inorganic?
not sure about the self teaching but you can have a look here under content to find what kind of chemistry is involved
https://www.hud.ac.uk/courses/full-time/undergraduate/chemical-engineering-meng/
nearly all unis covers the same subjects in first year as in this link
hope this helped
Reply 2
Original post by elkurdy
Also has chemical engineering got alot of chemistry in it?
the name of the course tells you it's actually chemistry based, and oh a lot and i mean a lot of it is maths.

lastly do you know someone that does chem eng without maths?
i personally don't know anyone but i highly doubt it.

I'm doing a gap year and am thinking of self teaching myself chemistry which chemistry is involved in chem eng is it organic or inorganic?
not sure about the self teaching but you can have a look here under content to find what kind of chemistry is involved
https://www.hud.ac.uk/courses/full-time/undergraduate/chemical-engineering-meng/
nearly all unis covers the same subjects in first year as in this link
hope this helped

Sorry i meant do you know anyone that does chem eng and they didnt do chemistry for their Alevel

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sherfyq
Sorry i meant do you know anyone that does chem eng and they didnt do chemistry for their Alevel

I don't know anyone, however I don't think you will need A-level chemistry.

They have given you offers so they believe you will be able to complete the degree without having the A-level. The fact that they don't make chemistry a required subject (at Leeds anyway) shows you that either you don't need it for the course or if you do need it, they have their own module which covers that content (which is the case with Leeds).

Chemical engineering is more like materials science than a chemistry degree. So really the type of chemistry you will be doing is more like that found on a materials science course than a chemistry one, eg solid state chemistry, crystal structures etc. For the likes of solid state, having A-level chemistry isn't much of an advantage as I am not aware of any A-level syllabus that covers anything like Band Theory etc. When it comes to other stuff, for example polymers, then the A-level (organic part) will be much more useful.

I had a look at the course at Leeds, and their module CAPE1060 - Fundamentals of Process Chemistry (10 credits) is actually A-level material, it takes you from GCSE standard to A-level standard, which will be enough for the following modules on the course. http://www.engineering.leeds.ac.uk/teaching/chemical/module/CAPE1060

Why are you taking a gap year? If it is solely to teach yourself chemistry then there isn't much point as the uni will be teaching that anyway. If it is for other reasons then you might as well self-teach some basic chemistry anyway, because while they teach the A-level stuff on the course, it does seem like it would be quite an intense module if you didn't study chemistry since GCSE, so if you do happen to take a gap year it would be a good idea to get a head start, in which case I reccommend this book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemistry-Palgrave-Foundations-Rob-Lewis/dp/0230291821/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454405753&sr=8-1&keywords=palgrave+chemistry

This book will cover the vast majority if not all of the content listed in the above module and is designed as a to be used as a teach it yourself chemistry text book. That said, if you spent on average a few hours a day going through it during the summer that should be enough time to cover a lot of the basics covered in the module above.

I covered that stuff during my foundation year, if you end up wanting to self-teach I might be able to send you the worksheets etc we used for that module.
Reply 4
Thanks alot mate can you send me the worksheets please
Also are you doing chemical engineering now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Ill pm you my email
And am doing a gap year to take a break. Go on a holiday, work and improve my meditation
Yes i know it sounds crazy😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sherfyq
Ill pm you my email
And am doing a gap year to take a break. Go on a holiday, work and improve my meditation
Yes i know it sounds crazy😂
Posted from TSR Mobile

No I'm doing Nat.Sci, so I have a mix of modules. I've done modules in physics, chemistry and maths, including one materials science module (which feels closer to physics than chemistry a lot of the time). I hadn't covered any organic chemistry since my foundation year, but I was able to study polymers in second year without much hassle, sure it was more leg work for me than my course-mates who took 1st and 2nd year organic, but it is certainly possible if you apply yourself.

I'll send you the worksheets once I get them altogether (I haven't got access to the module portal as I finished it a couple years ago, but docs. should be about somewhere on my computer).

Yeah fair enough, I took a gap year as well to go travelling and just to get a break from studying for a bit. I just wanted to know if you were worried about the chemistry, because really you haven't got much to worry about, not to the extent that a gap year is needed anyway :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sherfyq
Hi am doing btec engineering with alevel maths ive been predicted A in maths and D*D in engineering i want to know if id be able to do chem eng without chemistry. I did physics for my As and got an A but i dropped it because i hate alevels.And i couldnt be asked to pick up another alevel. I applied for leeds sheffield and loughborough and received offers from them. Also has chemical engineering got alot of chemistry in it?lastly do you know someone that does chem eng without maths. Oh btw am doing a gap year and am thinking of self teaching myself chemistry which chemistry is involved in chem eng is it organic or inorganic? Thanks in advance

Hi i study chem eng, there is actually not alot of chemistry as you would think. I have mainly studied organic chemistry but nothing too intense. Mathematics is key (make sure you are very strong) and you will study alot of physics . It is common to do chem eng without chemistry or physics (usually they ask for one or the other) but Maths is the fundamental requirement that you must have.

Quick Reply

Latest