The Student Room Group

originality report-25%?

hi
can anyone interpret if 25% on the originality report for a business essay is bad? its about 2600 words and I've cited my references correctly but it seems to return a high matching text for this electronic journal I quoted from directly.
I've never had this high a percentage so bit concerned how it would look to a tutor. I've read varying interpretations that 15-30% is considered good while some say it should be less than 20% . help!
Original post by confusee123
hi
can anyone interpret if 25% on the originality report for a business essay is bad? its about 2600 words and I've cited my references correctly but it seems to return a high matching text for this electronic journal I quoted from directly.
I've never had this high a percentage so bit concerned how it would look to a tutor. I've read varying interpretations that 15-30% is considered good while some say it should be less than 20% . help!

Hi,

My university that I go to uses the Turnitin system for submission of coursework/assignments, and it does have an "originality" section there, which compares your text with text that is on the system (for plagiarism purposes etc). I recently handed in a report and it came up with 8% similarity, and all of that similarity was to do with references that I had used.

If you have correctly referenced all of your work, then I don't see much of a problem, but I would personally say that 25% similarity to other sources might be a bit on the high side. I'd be comfortable with less than 20% similarity.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by spotify95
Hi,

My university that I go to uses the Turnitin system for submission of coursework/assignments, and it does have an "originality" section there, which compares your text with text that is on the system (for plagiarism purposes etc). I recently handed in a report and it came up with 8% similarity, and all of that similarity was to do with references that I had used.

If you have correctly referenced all of your work, then I don't see much of a problem, but I would personally say that 25% similarity to other sources might be a bit on the high side. I'd be comfortable with less than 20% similarity.

Hope that helps :smile:

thank you for the insight :smile:
Original post by confusee123
hi

It's fine. My lecturer said in my lectures you could have a similarity of 40% and it means nothing. HOWEVER if large blocks of texts have been copied then that is when they become fussy. My friend submitted a 2000 word assignment with a 22% similarity and he got a first :smile: Don't be worried the less the better but there is no 'Maximum'.

Only get worried if large sections of text are coming up.
Reply 4
thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending