The Student Room Group

Should there only be two genders?

As i only recognise males and female being the only two options fir gender classification.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
As i only recognise males and female being the only two options fir gender classification.

There are only these genders I thought??

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, gender is a spectrum and depends on how the individual sees them self :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Blondie987
No, gender is a spectrum and depends on how the individual sees them self :smile:

But it just causes confusion.
Reply 4
Original post by davidguettafan
There are only these genders I thought??

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is trans,bi,sis and tri
But it just causes confusion.

Better to cause a little confusion than unhappiness in someone's only life

There are atleast 52 recognised genders.

Damn, repped you too recently :frown:
Reply 8

We need the third gender for hermaphrodites, as they can haven penis and a vagina, or balls and a vagina, etc.

There are many, many non-binary genders, such as ‘bi-gender’, ‘pan-gender’, 'androgynous', ‘graysexual’, 'trendygender', ‘demi-boy’, ‘demi-girl, ‘bi-gender’, ‘trans-girl’, ‘trans-boy', ‘gender fluid', 'agender', 'non-binary', 'gender nonconforming', 'genderqueer', 'tri-gender', 'intersex', and lastly, but by no means least, 'all genders'.
(edited 8 years ago)

The definition of gender is "the state of being male or female"
Original post by anonwinner

Sex and gender aren't the same thing and gender does not always correspond with your biological anatomy (which is defined), gender itself is a lot more complex than some people think
Original post by anonwinner

On light of biological discoveries that is very outdated definition thou. Intergender people very much exist, as well as transgender.

Some definitions say that females produce larger germ cells and males smaller, but in some rare cases person doesn't produce germ cells at all.

Some definitions say males have chromosomes form of XY and females XX but not everyone has either of this type of chromosomes, as disjunctions happen from time to time during meiosis.

So before this issue is even relevant we'd need a relaible definition of gender that is based on biology.

Can we not just say you're a man or a woman and you can behave however you like? I don't understand why people want to name everything that is even slightly different to the norm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
Can we not just say you're a man or a woman and you can behave however you like? I don't understand why people want to name everything that is even slightly different to the norm

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are plenty of men and women out there whose gender matches their biological anatomy and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that but it doesn't have to be one or the other, let people be people
humans decide to complicate sh*t way past what's necessary and just make life difficult for everyone around them
52 different f**king genders, WTH?!?

the world is going to **** because people are focusing their attention on unnecessary crap like this noone gives a **** about, be whatever gender you feel like, no need to "classify" it on some random ass gender scale fgs people acting too prestige these days
Original post by Emilia1320
On light of biological discoveries that is very outdated definition thou. Intergender people very much exist, as well as transgender.

Some definitions say that females produce larger germ cells and males smaller, but in some rare cases person doesn't produce germ cells at all.

Some definitions say males have chromosomes form of XY and females XX but not everyone has either of this type of chromosomes, as disjunctions happen from time to time during meiosis.

So before this issue is even relevant we'd need a relaible definition of gender that is based on biology.

Sex isn't defined by whether you are XX or XY, but rather whether you produce lots of a small gamete (sperm, pollen) or a small amount of a big gamete (ovum).

Some animals have a different genetic sex-determining system, like a lot of birds use ZZ for males and ZW for females. In fact alligators and some other species have a non-genetic system, whereby temperature during development determines sex.

And to answer the question, although sex and gender are distinct, gender is based upon sex. Hence I would say there are only two genders, but you can have features of both in rare cases.
(edited 8 years ago)
There are plenty of men and women out there whose gender matches their biological anatomy and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that but it doesn't have to be one or the other, let people be people

You're not understanding what I'm saying. For most of human history people have been men or women, why not say you are a woman or man but you don't have to fulfil any stereotypical gender role? What is the need to create new words?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
You're not understanding what I'm saying. For most of human history people have been men or women, why not say you are a woman or man but you don't have to fulfil any stereotypical gender role? What is the need to create new words?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because being a woman or a man goes further than just gender stereotypes and throughout history there have been people who don't feel like conform to one gender or to a different gender entirely but haven't been able to voice their opinions
Because being a woman or a man goes further than just gender stereotypes and throughout history there have been people who don't feel like conform to one gender or to a different gender entirely but haven't been able to voice their opinions

What else does it include then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest