The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

UEA or Royal holloway?

This poll is closed

Royal Holloway vs UEA-Computer Science

Royal Holloway 25%
UEA75%
Total votes: 8
So i want to choose one of these two for my insurance choice. I will be studying Computer Science. I am going to visit UEA on the 13th and RH the week after.
Reply 1
My brother visited Royal Holloway for CompSci also, but he said the department was literally just a corridor, it may have changed since then, but based on that, I'd go to UEA :smile:

Although, saying that, choose for yourself! You may absolutely hate one of them, yet love the other, just make sure that you make an informed choice based on the course and whether you actually like the place!
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by Gogregg
My brother visited Royal Holloway for CompSci also, but he said the department was literally just a corridor, it may have changed since then, but based on that, I'd go to UEA :smile:

Although, saying that, choose for yourself! You may absolutely hate one of them, yet love the other, just make sure that you make an informed choice based on the course and whether you actually like the place!

I heard bad news about RH as well. What about their reputation?
Reply 3
Original post by Terminator01
I heard bad news about RH as well. What about their reputation?

I don't know much about the different reputations, but just choose the university with the better course, reputation can only get you so far!
So i want to choose one of these two for my insurance choice. I will be studying Computer Science. I am going to visit UEA on the 13th and RH the week after.

You need to consider course content, location and facilities.
Original post by jelly1000
You need to consider course content, location and facilities.

I definitely like the modules at UEA a LOT better looking from the websites. I am not sure about the other two, i guess i will see soon when i visit them. I care a lot for reputation as well tough.
I definitely like the modules at UEA a LOT better looking from the websites. I am not sure about the other two, i guess i will see soon when i visit them. I care a lot for reputation as well tough.

As far as I know RH & UEA have similar reputations. And besides, what matters far more than a university reputation when it comes to seeking employment is you and what you have to offer to employers, in terms of experience and soft skills.
Reply 7

I can't say anything regarding computer science, but for reputation i'd say they're very much on par- perhaps UEA slightly edges out as it's an up-and-coming University, although there is the University of London benefit with RHUL. But either way, the difference in reputation between the two is so minor it isn't worth considering. Royal Holloway is located near a small town, it has beautiful grounds, is fairly homely and is quiet (particularly weekends). UEA has Norwich of course, but it isn't in walking distance, although I believe there are regularly buses from campus to town. I'd say UEA is a very vibrant and friendly place, the architecture is brutish but there are some nice quiet spots.
Original post by 22.22
I can't say anything regarding computer science, but for reputation i'd say they're very much on par- perhaps UEA slightly edges out as it's an up-and-coming University, although there is the University of London benefit with RHUL. But either way, the difference in reputation between the two is so minor it isn't worth considering. Royal Holloway is located near a small town, it has beautiful grounds, is fairly homely and is quiet (particularly weekends). UEA has Norwich of course, but it isn't in walking distance, although I believe there are regularly buses from campus to town. I'd say UEA is a very vibrant and friendly place, the architecture is brutish but there are some nice quiet spots.

Is UEA that far from Norwich? i thought of getting a taxi to get from Norwich to UEA.
Reply 9
Is UEA that far from Norwich? i thought of getting a taxi to get from Norwich to UEA.

As far as I can remember it's roughly 45 minutes walk between the two, so a taxi will take no time- it's not that far, it's just I think a lot of people believe the University is pretty much in the city, which it isn't, but it certainly wouldn't be a long taxi journey

It's a 15 minute taxi ride which is around £7.50 for a pre booked mini cab or £10-11 for a black cab each way. However you can get the bus for around £4 return, the 25 & 26 both leave from just outside the station and go directly to campus, they take 25-30 minutes.
I've said this before, UEA has one of the best student experiences in the country. Choosing a uni should not be about prestige, but it should be about making yourself happy and making the most of your three years when studying. You study in or around London things are going to be far more expensive from accommodation to travel costs, keep that in mind! And you need to be happy to excel on your course, UEA is underrated but performs well in league tables and has a great reputation with its students. You're most likely to be happy there.
It's a 15 minute taxi ride which is around £7.50 for a pre booked mini cab or £10-11 for a black cab each way. However you can get the bus for around £4 return, the 25 & 26 both leave from just outside the station and go directly to campus, they take 25-30 minutes.

Okay, thanks

Do you know if you can stay in uni accommodation for your second year? In case i won't make friends or will have no one to live with can i stay in campus accommodation for my second year?
Do you know if you can stay in uni accommodation for your second year? In case i won't make friends or will have no one to live with can i stay in campus accommodation for my second year?

Firstly at UEA you are only guarenteed a room if it is your firm choice, although there is a good chance you will still get one. Beyond that again, I believe they recently started letting returners apply, but you aren't guarenteed. There are always lots of people advertising spare rooms if you don't have anyone to find a house with though.
Firstly at UEA you are only guarenteed a room if it is your firm choice, although there is a good chance you will still get one. Beyond that again, I believe they recently started letting returners apply, but you aren't guarenteed. There are always lots of people advertising spare rooms if you don't have anyone to find a house with though.

I was thinking of getting a studio flat, but i can't seem to find any, is there any way i can find any?
I was thinking of getting a studio flat, but i can't seem to find any, is there any way i can find any?

UEA don't have studio flats but they do one and two bedroom flats. However they aren't really the best way to make friends.
UEA don't have studio flats but they do one and two bedroom flats. However they aren't really the best way to make friends.

I am a very independent person and prefer to stay on my own most of the time so i would prefer to live on my own.
I am a very independent person and prefer to stay on my own most of the time so i would prefer to live on my own.

Fair enough, if you can afford it by all means go for it. These are the one bedroom flat options
https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/accommodation/options/premier-accommodation?_ga=1.161498236.130787826.1420980138
Fair enough, if you can afford it by all means go for it. These are the one bedroom flat options
https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/accommodation/options/premier-accommodation?_ga=1.161498236.130787826.1420980138

UEA says they do welcome returning students but they are not guaranteed accommodation. There are plenty of one bedroom flats to rent in Norwich, so hopefully i will be fine. I seem to be looking too much into it early on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending