The Student Room Group

Is this too optimistic?

My son is currently in his AS year and taking Maths, Further Maths, Double Maths, Physics and Chemistry. He is looking to take Comp Sci Meng/MSCi at one of the following:

Imperial
Bath
Southampton
Warwick
Royal Holloway
Loughborough

He has always been top in his year in Maths and based on his mocks he is very likely to get A* in all the Maths. Physics is likely to be an A and he will be only be taking chemistry up to AS - will be very lucky to get a B.

Is he being too ambitious with his choices? Should he be looking at a BSC instead? He also would like to do a year in industry - I know Imperial doesn't do it but if he got in there he wouldn't care.
Original post by nutz99
My son is currently in his AS year and taking Maths, Further Maths, Double Maths, Physics and Chemistry. He is looking to take Comp Sci Meng/MSCi at one of the following:

Imperial
Bath
Southampton
Warwick
Royal Holloway
Loughborough

He has always been top in his year in Maths and based on his mocks he is very likely to get A* in all the Maths. Physics is likely to be an A and he will be only be taking chemistry up to AS - will be very lucky to get a B.

Is he being too ambitious with his choices? Should he be looking at a BSC instead? He also would like to do a year in industry - I know Imperial doesn't do it but if he got in there he wouldn't care.

So you want your son to first do a bsc and then maybe an msc/m.eng if needed from the same university or from somewhere else.

But when you get an offer for m.eng,it is usually subject to your performance during the 3 years of your bachelors(not including year in industry)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jontyfernz
So you want your son to first do a bsc and then maybe an msc/m.eng if needed from the same university or from somewhere else.

But when you get an offer for m.eng,it is usually subject to your performance during the 3 years of your bachelors(not including year in industry)

Posted from TSR Mobile
He has no coding or programing experience and wants to do the Meng/MSCi simply because it "gives him more options". The year in industry is to make him more employable.

If you are at a 2:1 on the BSC course at the end of the 2nd year most unis will let you move up to Meng/MSCi for year 3. The reverse also works so you can be dumped off the Meng/MSCi onto BSC. He wants to do the combined course rather than go BSC for 3 years then Postgrad to get his Masters.
Original post by nutz99
He has no coding or programing experience and wants to do the Meng/MSCi simply because it "gives him more options". The year in industry is to make him more employable.

If you are at a 2:1 on the BSC course at the end of the 2nd year most unis will let you move up to Meng/MSCi for year 3. The reverse also works so you can be dumped off the Meng/MSCi onto BSC. He wants to do the combined course rather than go BSC for 3 years then Postgrad to get his Masters.

I don't know how long are the holidays after the exams in UK but he should try to learn a programming language during that period. Also i would suggest You to let him do an Msci/M.eng as he would learn some desicion making.But let him think over it and tell him the pros and cons of both

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jontyfernz
I don't know how long are the holidays after the exams in UK but he should try to learn a programming language during that period. Also i would suggest You to let him do an Msci/M.eng as he would learn some desicion making.But let him think over it and tell him the pros and cons of both

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your reply. I've actually suggested to him that he tries to learn the basics of either Python or Java as he should have free time over the holidays plus dropping Chemistry will also free up time. Might also be something that he could add to his PS.
Original post by nutz99
Thanks for your reply. I've actually suggested to him that he tries to learn the basics of either Python or Java as he should have free time over the holidays plus dropping Chemistry will also free up time. Might also be something that he could add to his PS.

Yeah both are great languages are very useful as they are taught at university as well as Used in the industry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending