The Student Room Group

How much to study and live in London

Hi there, I wanna study at Uni in London!

SOAS hopefully! ^^

Does anyone know roughly how much it'll cost me to live and study in London.

My parents have a business so I don't have an annual figure, not sure roughly how much I'd get as student loan either.

I'd also have a job with Primark on weekends, as I'll be able to transfer from my current store.

Is it affordable?

I'm really clueless. Many thanks!
Are you planning on living in halls or private rent for the first year? Part of it depends on you and whether you're someone who goes out often, etc.
Reply 2
Hey, I'm wondering this too.
Perhaps @Tiger Rag can answer the following?

I have an offer for LSE for a course which I'm keen on and would be great to go on. However, I am having doubts about whether I'll be able to afford to live in London given accommodation, food, travel etc. Have you any idea how much It'll cost at LSE or stories from anyone there? Are there any tips for saving money?
I like to go out occasionally but not to clubs or anywhere really expensive. I'd of course like to have fun at University and am also wondering, if I am able to afford LSE, if I'll be able to have a good time?

Any help greatly appreciated. Sorry I can't help the original poster, but I'm in the same boat so I thought I'd put this here.

Cheers.
These questions are impossible to answer. I studied in Middlesex which is north west London. The more central you are, the more expensive your rent will be. Travel, depends whether you take the bus, tube or train and how often. Food, depends on you and what's nearby.
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag
These questions are impossible to answer. I studied in Middlesex which is north west London. The more central you are, the more expensive your rent will be. Travel, depends whether you take the bus, tube or train and how often. Food, depends on you and what's nearby.

Fair enough, thanks for responding. I realise that the questions are rather imprecise but thought I'd reach out and see if some god-like human could tell me the answers to them. :wink: I went away and did some calculations (based on my personal circumstances). Still working out a few things but it's looking doable at the moment.
Cheers
Yeah, you are exempt from council tax as a full time student. If in halls, you don't need to do anything. If in private accommodation, you have to give the council something from the uni.

You shouldn't need to spend more than £20-25 on food per week.

Apart from going home, I walked most places ad rarely used transport. Unless I was going to the football or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending