The Student Room Group

Mature Student Applying for Medical School

I wondered if there's any mature students out there with advice for applying to medical school? I won't be applying for a year or two yet as I am currently working on a masters in archaeology and possibly doing another masters in psychology as well as brushing up on my science in the meantime but was curious as to whether having a masters degree is a good starting off point? I also have experience working in healthcare as well as working as a psychiatric support worker so have worked in a hospital environment.

I noticed people mention the UKCAT--is this a necessary thing to complete for attending medical school? There's a ton of information out there and I have only just started researching the possibilities.

I'm from Scotland and will not be relocating so I'm hoping to attend the University of Aberdeen. I am a little worried that I will be the only older person (I'll be in my late 30s by the time I'm ready to attend) but I don't want to let that stop me.
Original post by The_Red_Queen
I wondered if there's any mature students out there with advice for applying to medical school? I won't be applying for a year or two yet as I am currently working on a masters in archaeology and possibly doing another masters in psychology as well as brushing up on my science in the meantime but was curious as to whether having a masters degree is a good starting off point? I also have experience working in healthcare as well as working as a psychiatric support worker so have worked in a hospital environment.

I noticed people mention the UKCAT--is this a necessary thing to complete for attending medical school? There's a ton of information out there and I have only just started researching the possibilities.

I'm from Scotland and will not be relocating so I'm hoping to attend the University of Aberdeen. I am a little worried that I will be the only older person (I'll be in my late 30s by the time I'm ready to attend) but I don't want to let that stop me.

Contact the university, that's the best place to start. If you don't have sceince A-levels/highers, they may ask you to retake something like that, or do an access course.

You have to do the UKCAT /BMAT depending on which the uni prefers, that'll be on the entry requirements page.

Before committing to another master's, if you know medicine is where you want to go, I'd talk to the uni and see what they say.
Thank you, I'll do that and see what they say. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending