The Student Room Group

Muslims aren't the problem, Islam is

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AliRizzo
Or maybe people don't like being called out as being massive c*nts who have nothing better to do but breed hate? Like a child trying to plead to his teacher that he isn't the one at fault even though deep down everyone knows he is.

A fine argument, that.

Spoiler

Original post by sleepysnooze
islam and a lot of religions are such a social burden on sanity and progress - we have to stand for it only because there's a culture of religion deserving respect even though logically it shouldn't deserve it. if religions were springing up today for the first time in history (e.g. scientology) then it would be universally ridiculed. but there are a lot of scientologists today *because* of this culture - the same culture that excuses islam for being evil and batshit. I mean, what kind of goggles would you need to be wearing to view islam as "good"? it would be like viewing nazism in germany (before WWII) as "good" - it would have to take some kind of extreme subjectivism to defend it.

And what kind of islamophobic "goggles" are you wearing to compare Islam to Nazi Germany?
Original post by Hydeman
A fine argument, that.

Spoiler

I don't see what was wrong with it. Think I hit a nerve there.
Erm, no. It didn't. I was making a general observation. Go take your hate elsewhere.

Sure :rolleyes: your replies in this thread would suggest otherwise.
Hate? What hate?
It's so funny how on Tsr once you challenge someone's beliefs suddenly it's hate.

Original post by luminarychild
Breeding hate

Not really. Most people on here that challenge Islamic belief have repeated time and time again that bigotry and hatred of Muslims is bad.
Criticizing the religion itself isn't bad nor does it cause/incite any hatred against Muslims. The worst it does is make people leave the religion. (Which depending on the person you are isn't even such a bad thing)

I like the Simpsons. A lot of people don't like the Simpsons. They criticize and mock the show a lot. Does that mean they don't like me as a person? Or that they'd kill me if they had the chance? No.

It really isn't anyone's fault that some get offended when their beliefs are challenged. Honestly if you don't like it just don't come on the Internet. You can't stop people from sharing their opinions no matter how much it offends you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Butternuts96
And what kind of islamophobic "goggles" are you wearing to compare Islam to Nazi Germany?

are you implying that islam doesn't contain a huge variety of insanely intolerant and discriminatory teachings? or are you just playing dumb?
I don't see what was wrong with it.

It was incoherent babble that bore no relation to the point made in the post that you quoted.

Think I hit a nerve there.

Don't flatter yourself.
Original post by United999
That is not the topic. People like you will happily talk of the evil that is Christianity or Judaism and I could not care less. But you let Islam pass without criticism. You defend it. You protect it. You call it the religion of peace. You will not recognise its faults. That is the difference.

Outstanding work on the making of assumptions there. In fact, by saying that all major religions and some secular thought have those faults I am not defending or protecting anything.

The fact is this. The problem with all of them, and the people who choose to act on the passages which promote the behaviour is the intolerance and hatred it breeds. Likewise, the same problem with those who blindly attack religion using arguments such as yours. You are promoting intolerance and hatred of an entire religion based on a few passages which preach intolerance and hate and which most followers don't adhere to or put into practice.

No religion is evil. No religion is good. No political philosophy is evil. No political philosophy is good. It all comes down to the people who are interpreting and applying them and how ****ed up they choose to be.
Original post by Hydeman
It was incoherent babble that bore no relation to the point made in the post that you quoted.
Don't flatter yourself.

Really? I think I made a fine point. 'Incoherent babble'? Are you dim or something? I think the meaning was very clear.

Anyway, good luck with your mission on spreading awareness that Islam is a monster that will eat your children. Toodles.
Original post by United999
But Islam promotes hate and breeds hate so what do you say to that?

Wrong.

If Islam bred and promoted hate then all muslims would do that too and we would be in a far worse condition, the whole world would.
Yet Islam is the same religion that has raised good educated humane muslims, yet some have gone astray leading to the corruption of the religion, breeding extemists..the bad guys.

There are hateful people and motives in every background of all races and religions. Why should we blame all of Islam for the acts of the minority?
Original post by StrawbAri
Hate? What hate?
It's so funny how on Tsr once you challenge someone's beliefs suddenly it's hate.

Whatever helps you sleep at night babe.
the root word of Islam is al-Salaam, which is "peace" in Arabic.

im done
Oh not another thread bashing Islam. Great news OP listening to football hooligans advice. How about football is not the problem its the hooligans like him throughout his time with the MIG's firm causing disorder at football matches.
I think I made a fine point. [...] I think the meaning was very clear.

Yes, and you're apparently free from bias in that judgement...
Original post by mariam687
the root word of Islam is al-Salaam, which is "peace" in Arabic.

im done

That proves nothing about the contents of the religion itself. It sounds like Mehdi Hasan's fatuous point that, because Allah introduces himself as a god of mercy in all but one chapter of the Koran, that must mean that Islam is a religion of peace.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Yes, and you're apparently free from bias in that judgement...

Would you like me to get a recommendation from the Queen?
Original post by mariam687
but you dont know the religion, its the media tht portrays all tht. Yes, there are terrorists etc bt you cant assume all muslims are like that and you cant blame it on the religion itself. ITS NOT JUST MUSLIMS WHO ARE TERRORISTS AND EXTREMISTS

is2g all this bs does my head in

I know enough about the religion, and religion as a whole, to have my own views.

Islamic terrorism was created, in a big part, by the manipulation of the readings of the Qu'ran... most people would agree with this.

And then, again, I'm not speaking about Muslims, I'm speaking about Islam. Your last point is not relevant to the topic of this thread.
Original post by StrawbAri
Hate? What hate?

Not really. Most people on here that challenge Islamic belief have repeated time and time again that bigotry and hatred of Muslims is bad.
Criticizing the religion itself isn't bad nor does it cause/incite any hatred against Muslims. The worst it does is make people leave the religion. (Which depending on the person you are isn't even such a bad thing)

I like the Simpsons. A lot of people don't like the Simpsons. They criticize and mock the show a lot. Does that mean they don't like me as a person? Or that they'd kill me if they had the chance? No.

It really isn't anyone's fault that some get offended when their beliefs are challenged. Honestly if you don't like it just don't come on the Internet. You can't stop people from sharing their opinions no matter how much it offends you.

Exactly, so don't come on the internet if you can't stand the debate StrawAri :rolleyes:

How can you compare liking the simpsons to Islam...terrible analogy

People who challenge islam tend not to mix or like muslims at all because they strongly detest it and it's followers...so your saying that they forcefully shove their opinions down the throats of normal muslims and force them to leave? becuase a muslim has no security in this society filled with people like you? causing them to conform into something their not to avoid all this hate? and so called freedom of speech..abuse of speech more like. Because according to your logic it leaves muslims with no freedom
Original post by Most Competitive
You'd have to blame those with extremist beliefs as opposed to the religion itself.

But where did those extremists get their beliefs form in the first place? The Argos catalogue?

I sense No True Scotsman.
Reply 38
Thread title fail. :yep:
Original post by luminarychild
If Islam bred and promoted hate then all muslims would do that too and we would be in a far worse condition, the whole world would.

This is a highly challengeable assertion. Islam is not a monolithic religion and, despite what most Muslims claim, they do not follow a literal interpretation of the scriptures. That is why we aren't in a far worse condition, not because the religion itself is benign.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending