The Student Room Group

Can't decide on first choice - what should my priorities be?

So I'm still waiting on an offer (Edinburgh) but I'm torn between choosing University of York, University of Nottingham or University of Edinburgh for a History degree. It boils down to:

1) Edinburgh's the most prestigious and the course is pretty good, but I didn't fancy the location as much - I live in Yorkshire and it's a long way to commute to see family (5 hours by both car and train), and the city campus didn't really appeal to me.
2) York sent me a AAA offer - it's a decent distance from my home (40 mins) and it's got a good reputation, and I liked the campus and course.
3) Nottingham have given me an unconditional if I put them first. They're not as high up the league tables but are still very good, I think it's probably my favourite campus, is about 2 hours from home, and I think the course is pretty similar to York's.

Being able to visit home on the weekend is pretty important for me - I'm an only child and very close to my parents. I don't cope well under pressure, and feel like I'd possibly get better grades if I took the unconditional and wasn't constantly worrying so much, but I can't shake the slightly snobbish feeling that I should be going for the most well-known/prestigious university, which would be Edinburgh or York. Basically, I can't decide what my priority should be when making my decision...
In the end its the degree grade that will matter instead of where you got the degree from. Look at the course structure, see how the degree is marked, i.e. what percentage is coursework and what percentage is exams? Think about the campus, both Nottingham and York are campus based. Do you want to live close to your family (York) or slightly further away?Because you said that you're not keen on Edinburgh I wouldn't waste my time thinking about it.
League tables change all the time anyway. These unis could be in a very different rank in 3 years time
the previous poster is right. Ignore reputation and league tables there is little to choose. go where you will be happiest
Reply 3
Original post by ElspethC
... feel like I'd possibly get better grades if I took the unconditional and wasn't constantly worrying so much

Why don't you put York or Edinburgh as your firm and the unconditional as your insurance? In that case, if you get the grades, you can go to the uni you really want to go to and in the case you don't get the grades, you still don't have to worry.

Between York and Edinburgh I don't think there is that much difference. Sure Edinburgh might have a better reputation internationally, but in the UK no-one will hire an Edinburgh graduate over a York graduate simply because they went to Edinburgh (ceteris paribus). I went to York and loved it!
Reply 4
Original post by Chr0n
Why don't you put York or Edinburgh as your firm and the unconditional as your insurance? In that case, if you get the grades, you can go to the uni you really want to go to and in the case you don't get the grades, you still don't have to worry

Yeah, I forgot to mention that it's only unconditional if I put it as my firm, otherwise they're asking for AAA - same as York, and same as Edinburgh (probably).

I guess the main thing is does it matter in terms of future job prospects or how a degree from there is regarded, considering Nottingham is further down the rankings but still RG, in the top 20 etc?
Yeah, I forgot to mention that it's only unconditional if I put it as my firm, otherwise they're asking for AAA - same as York, and same as Edinburgh (probably).

I guess the main thing is does it matter in terms of future job prospects or how a degree from there is regarded, considering Nottingham is further down the rankings but still RG, in the top 20 etc?

it wont matter as all have great reputations. The difference between 10th and 30th is negligible
Original post by Laurenafenete
In the end its the degree grade that will matter instead of where you got the degree from.

That's not true. Employers want you to have a 2:1 or better, beyond that they don't care much. If OP wanted to do a postgraduate degree then getting a 1st rather than a 2:1 would matter much more.
You seem most positive about Nottingham. I've never heard about York being "better" than Nottingham. (I really don't think any employer would care if it were Nottingham or York, tbh) I kind of forget people worry about the exact numbers when they change all the time... Notts was Top 20 when I applied and top 75 QS. Nottingham is a great uni, honestly. (And my boyfriend works for QS and I have a good job sooooooooo!). They're all good unis. Just go with where you feel most at home.
Original post by swanseajack1
it wont matter as all have great reputations. The difference between 10th and 30th is negligible

Agreed. Could be a difference of respondents on student satisfaction and less research in one given year
Original post by anonwinner
That's not true. Employers want you to have a 2:1 or better, beyond that they don't care much. If OP wanted to do a postgraduate degree then getting a 1st rather than a 2:1 would matter much more.

Thats basically what I was trying to say. You want to get at least a high 2:2 or a 2:1. It doesn't matter if you go to a good non RG university as long as you get a good degree grade (i.e. 2:2 or 2:1 etc) you'll be fine
So I'm still waiting on an offer (Edinburgh) but I'm torn between choosing University of York, University of Nottingham or University of Edinburgh for a History degree. It boils down to:

1) Edinburgh's the most prestigious and the course is pretty good, but I didn't fancy the location as much - I live in Yorkshire and it's a long way to commute to see family (5 hours by both car and train), and the city campus didn't really appeal to me.
2) York sent me a AAA offer - it's a decent distance from my home (40 mins) and it's got a good reputation, and I liked the campus and course.
3) Nottingham have given me an unconditional if I put them first. They're not as high up the league tables but are still very good, I think it's probably my favourite campus, is about 2 hours from home, and I think the course is pretty similar to York's.

Being able to visit home on the weekend is pretty important for me - I'm an only child and very close to my parents. I don't cope well under pressure, and feel like I'd possibly get better grades if I took the unconditional and wasn't constantly worrying so much, but I can't shake the slightly snobbish feeling that I should be going for the most well-known/prestigious university, which would be Edinburgh or York. Basically, I can't decide what my priority should be when making my decision...

It should go course content, facilities, location IMO when deciding which uni to accept. Don't choose one just because they give you an unconditional offer, choose it because you like it the most. As far as jobs go what matters is what you offer- in terms of work experience and soft skills.
Original post by Laurenafenete
Thats basically what I was trying to say. You want to get at least a high 2:2 or a 2:1. It doesn't matter if you go to a good non RG university as long as you get a good degree grade (i.e. 2:2 or 2:1 etc) you'll be fine

Well a 2:1 from a top 5 university will be viewed much more highly by employers than a 2:1 from a university that's ranked 50th
Reply 12
Well a 2:1 from a top 5 university will be viewed much more highly by employers than a 2:1 from a university that's ranked 50th

Nope.

Employers don't spend their life checking uni rankings. They. Don't. Care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Nope.

Employers don't spend their life checking uni rankings. They. Don't. Care.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For competitive graduate jobs yes they do care... (e.g. jobs in investment banking, law, government)
Basically, I can't decide what my priority should be when making my decision...

Course content is the most important thing. At Edinburgh you will spend a third of your time in years 1 and 2 studying other subjects. If you have interests outside of history that you'd like to pursue or you want to try new subjects then Edinburgh may be the place for you, if you only want to study history and nothing else, go elsewhere. Look at the modules available in detail, which ones do you want to study?

Considering that these universities OP is deciding from is pretty similar in rank. I don't think that matters.

Also for the STEM subjects especially, it really does not matter what university you went to its the degree level, 2:2, 2:1 etc
Reply 16
For competitive graduate jobs yes they do care... (e.g. jobs in investment banking, law, government)

All jobs are competitive.

If you applied for an IB role with a strong CV and a 2:1 "but" from Oxford Brookes you will be more competitive than someone with a poor CV and the same degree from Oxford.

They are hiring good people not good universities. The uni *might* be a proxy for "good people" for some (lazy) employers but it's by no means the most important factor.
Reply 17
The name of your Uni can only get you so far, the things you need to consider for a good CV post grad are good academics, how you can demonstrate skills and extra curriculars/work experience. I'm from a non RG uni trying to get into law and the thing that we're constantly told by recruiters is that it's not your degree that sets you apart, that's really just an entry requirement. You need skills and experience so go to a uni where you'll enjoy the course and the campus. If being too far from home will be a problem then don't put yourself through it, you're supposed to enjoy your university experience as well!
Have you been to offer holder days as well as pre-application days? Sometimes places feel very different when the sun isn't shining! Nottingham and York, cities and universities, are very different (both lovely IMHO)

Bear in mind that your feelings about going home very frequently (and your parents need for you to do so) may well change once you are at university - and probably should (let alone the cost). Nottingham seems far enough away to perhaps promote mutual independence without creating difficulties for visits home (or for your parents to come and see you for the day for example) That is not to say that you *shouldn't* choose York because it is 'too' close but it may not be prudent to choose it *because* it is close, if that makes sense?

It seems fairly unlikely though that the courses are more or less identical for a subject as broad as History. I'd be wary of choosing on the basis of a 3rd year optional module (these things can change), but do look closely at the courses.

Ultimately, when you've done your research, flipping a coin is perfectly valid!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending