The Student Room Group

Graduates, how many hours do you actually work per week?

Hi all I'm a second year economics student and reality is starting to hit me.

I've read all of these careers in the big 4 and hear of the ''very long hours'' during certain times of the year.

This includes people claiming to start work at 9 and finishing at 7pm. Even 10pm.

This would lead to easily working more than 40 hours per week...

So that lead me to create this thread to do some statistics to get a rough idea. For those who have started a graduate job, please list:

- Company
- Role
- Salary (Optional)
- Hours you are ''contracted'' to work
- Hours you actually work
- Whether or not it averages out to 40 per week
- If you get compensated e.g. overtime for working more than the usual 8 hour day, being able to claim extra hours work as annual leave etc

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Studies Economics too.

- £30,000
- 35 hours contracted
- 35 hours worked (but will probably be more like 40 when I rotate next)
- No I would not get overtime
Reply 2
I can't offer much from my own experience, as I am waiting on a start date for my graduate job, but the contracted hours for it are:

Civil Service, Social Researcher
Around £29k
36 hours net (41 hours gross, including meal breaks)
There's also about a 1.5 hour commute either way, so another few hours out of the day. They do also promote flexible working hours though, which can include varying times arriving/leaving work, or varying time/length of lunch break, or in some cases working from home.

My twin brother is a mortgage advisor, and works well over the 40 hours. They are contracted to work over that, and his working week is 55 hours officially, I believe (possibly 57, as I am unsure if his day starts at 8am or 8:30am). Even then, there are still a couple of days a month when he has been in the office until 10pm to midnight to get things finished. I would hate to work for his company.
NHS
FY1 Junior doctor
About £29k in total
Worked 70 hours last week (including the weekend), 48 hours this week and 48 hours next week.
Get a crude banding system which brings my salary to the above total.
I'm contracted to work 35 hours p/w, but when overtime is available it could be anything up to 60 hours p/w. Overtime is paid at time and a half on weekdays and double time on weekends, and is completely optional. My basic is only £25k (soon to be increased as i've just had a payrise) however with overtime it's a lot more than that.

I work for an investment company, no i'm not saying which one.
Reply 5
Contracted 37.5 hours a week but due to on call commitments this usually turns out to be 50-60 hours a week over 6-7 days. The on call is very busy so I am at work most of the time, so can't consider that time off (and can't sleep well waiting for the next call). Pretty rare to have a weekend off.

I'm a radiographer in the NHS. The overtime is all paid for but I've learned money isn't everything.
(edited 8 years ago)
Could you guys contribute to this? Thanks
- Company: Investment Bank- N/A
- Role : M&A
- Salary (Optional) : 50k~ base pro rata
- Hours you are ''contracted'' to work: 9-5pm
- Hours you actually work: 9-2am
- Whether or not it averages out to 40 per week: more like 80-100 hours
- If you get compensated e.g. overtime for working more than the usual 8 hour day, being able to claim extra hours work as annual leave etc: you could say that given salary/bonuses
Company: Interwebs Service Providings
- Role : Network Engineer
- Salary (Optional) : 28K :frown:
- Hours you are ''contracted'' to work: Shift (37.5 hours week effective)
- Hours you actually work: 37.5 hours a week effective
- Whether or not it averages out to 40 per week: 37.5 hours/week effective
- If you get compensated e.g. overtime for working more than the usual 8 hour day, being able to claim extra hours work as annual leave etc: Not even sure. I know were encouraged to classify any thing we can as overtime even if we come back from lunch early, as then the manager can say "look how busy we are"
Original post by Princepieman
Could you guys contribute to this? Thanks

Only joining as an Analyst this summer. Happy to post about my experience as a SA last summer and my impression of hours worked etc if that's of any use.
Original post by Kiltennel
Only joining as an Analyst this summer. Happy to post about my experience as a SA last summer and my impression of hours worked etc if that's of any use.

That'd be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
- Company: Investment Bank
- Role - Leveraged Finance
- Salary (Optional): 45k
- Hours you are ''contracted'' to work: 9.30-5.30
- Hours you actually work: Completely deal dependent. If you've nothing urgent (i.e. needed next morning) and it's 8pm, go home. That said, if something is needed for the following morning and it'll take you till 3-4am to get it done, you'll be there until it's done. On average start 8.30am finish around 11pm. Rarely in beyond 2am.
- Whether or not it averages out to 40 per week: 70-80 hours on average per week. Can be a lot worse in some banks. 0 face time culture at the bank I was at.
- If you get compensated e.g. overtime for working more than the usual 8 hour day, being able to claim extra hours work as annual leave etc: No official overtime compensation. Taking into account the substantial salary and bonus it can be deemed as compensation for the excessive hours.
- Company: Investment Bank
- Role - Leveraged Finance
- Salary (Optional): 45k
- Hours you are ''contracted'' to work: 9.30-5.30
- Hours you actually work: Completely deal dependent. If you've nothing urgent (i.e. needed next morning) and it's 8pm, go home. That said, if something is needed for the following morning and it'll take you till 3-4am to get it done, you'll be there until it's done. On average start 8.30am finish around 11pm. Rarely in beyond 2am.
- Whether or not it averages out to 40 per week: 70-80 hours on average per week. Can be a lot worse in some banks. 0 face time culture at the bank I was at.
- If you get compensated e.g. overtime for working more than the usual 8 hour day, being able to claim extra hours work as annual leave etc: No official overtime compensation. Taking into account the substantial salary and bonus it can be deemed as compensation for the excessive hours.

Out of curiosity, what would happen if you couldn't get back late at night due to lack of transport? Would you be expected to fork out for a taxi?
Original post by Curious_G
Hi all I'm a second year economics student and reality is starting to hit me.

I've read all of these careers in the big 4 and hear of the ''very long hours'' during certain times of the year.

This includes people claiming to start work at 9 and finishing at 7pm. Even 10pm.

This would lead to easily working more than 40 hours per week...

So that lead me to create this thread to do some statistics to get a rough idea. For those who have started a graduate job, please list:

- Company
- Role
- Salary (Optional)
- Hours you are ''contracted'' to work
- Hours you actually work
- Whether or not it averages out to 40 per week
- If you get compensated e.g. overtime for working more than the usual 8 hour day, being able to claim extra hours work as annual leave etc

Thanks in advance :smile:

I am a law graduate doing a postgrad degree but I managed to land a job with one of the Big 4 in between. I wouldn't recommend one of them, they exploit graduates and treat them like machines.

-Company: One of the Big 4
-Role: It was a private project so I'm not sure if I should day. Had something to do with claims though.
-Salary: £140 per day
-Hours contracted: 40 a week
-Actual hours: At least 45 along with a two hour commute there and back
- No overtime compensation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jelly1000
Out of curiosity, what would happen if you couldn't get back late at night due to lack of transport? Would you be expected to fork out for a taxi?

If you're staying after 9pm you're given £12 for dinner and a free taxi home. Most banks use Addison Lee which is a very nice and very professional taxi service.
Reply 15
Wow these people's jobs sound so difficult.

I'm currently working as a graduate teaching assistant before starting a pgce and only work 32.5 hrs a week. I don't think I'd want the type of life where I'm constantly working though. Want to have free time for myself I can enjoy.
If you're staying after 9pm you're given £12 for dinner and a free taxi home. Most banks use Addison Lee which is a very nice and very professional taxi service.

That's something at least then, although I find it outrageous they can get away with such awful working hours though.
That's something at least then, although I find it outrageous they can get away with such awful working hours though.

Everyone going into investment banking knows exactly what to expect in terms of the hours. It also attracts people who are happy to do long hours. I genuinely enjoy the work and find it very rewarding, the main issue is the lack of consistency making it hard to make plans. This article explains the reasons behind the hours rather well. http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/why-you-actually-work-so-much-as-an-investment-banker-yes-even-in-a-recession/
Everyone going into investment banking knows exactly what to expect in terms of the hours. It also attracts people who are happy to do long hours. I genuinely enjoy the work and find it very rewarding, the main issue is the lack of consistency making it hard to make plans. This article explains the reasons behind the hours rather well. http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/why-you-actually-work-so-much-as-an-investment-banker-yes-even-in-a-recession/

Fair enough if you enjoy it, I didn't think people would enjoy their job enough to want to stay til late almost every evening and manage on little sleep.
Fair enough if you enjoy it, I didn't think people would enjoy their job enough to want to stay til late almost every evening and manage on little sleep.

The hours do get better over time mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending