The Student Room Group

How can I get an A* for chemistry?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
[QUOTE="langlitz;62671893"]Arrogance? Not my fault you don't understand transition metals. Beat me to an A*? hahahahaha

Spoiler

[/QUOTE

:smile: Sure will
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Yeah haha, I had my Unit 4 mock since and it went great! Unit 5 isn't that bad either upon closer inspection. The A* seems achievable in Chemistry.

Not sure about Unit 5 :/ What are the subjects you do? Also, GCE or IAL?
Original post by therecovery
Hey guys,

I did my chem AS units this jan. ill doing my A2 chem units in june(unit 4, unit 5 and unit 6). if I have to repeat any of my chem AS units, ill do them as well.

Anyway, my question for you is, how can I get an A* for chemistry?
I have finished the syllabus and now im doing topic by topic questions in my gce past paper book. Ill be getting my AS results on march 3rd and if i have to resit any of the AS units, ill do them in june.

My advice would be to make sure you really understand the chemistry that's going on behind what you learn. For example, if there's an important reaction you need to know, don't just memorise the reaction scheme, see if you understand why that reaction is going the way it is. Sorry if that sounds a bit vague.

For all the nitty gritty bits of factual recall/equations/defenitions I find the best revision technique is to put as much as possible of what you need to know onto flashcards, they don't have to be pretty, but have a question/topic heading/word to define on one side and the answer/info/definition on the other. Then put them all in a big pile and go though them, separating them into a pile of ones you can do first time, and one's you can't. Then once you've done them all pick up the pile of one's you couldn't do and repeat the whole process. Keep doing this until the "couldn't do" pile is empty. Then pick up your "could do" pile and work through the whole thing again.
Everyone learns in different ways but this really worked for me.
Reply 23
Original post by AvWOW
Not sure about Unit 5 :/ What are the subjects you do? Also, GCE or IAL?

I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry (typical lol). I'm doing IAL.
[QUOTE="AvWOW;62684007"]
Original post by langlitz
Arrogance? Not my fault you don't understand transition metals. Beat me to an A*? hahahahaha

Spoiler

[/QUOTE

:smile: Sure will

You're right, I'll never have an A*. I'm from Scotland

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
[QUOTE="langlitz;62689831"]
Original post by AvWOW

You're right, I'll never have an A*. I'm from Scotland

Spoiler

Don't you have better things to do that that follow A/L threads and throw attitude at random people?
Original post by AvWOW
It is in that logic. But that's only if you see it as that. When it comes under complex ions it throws you off-guard.
AS was a breeze compared to this. You sometimes wonder how you are expected to know certain things.
Try this
in an experiment a student insisted wearing gloves when handling rhubard leaves, but the supervisor stated there was no necessity. Suggest why the student would think so, but the supervisor stated this was unnecessary.

Apparently Rhubarb leaves are 'toxic'. (no other words are marked for)
But the invigilator claimed there was no necessity to wear gloves because the ethandioic acid is dilute or in small quantites. (Weak acid is wrong)

Wait, what do you mean by the 'unit 2 calculation' in the Mn2(CO)10 question?
Reply 27
Original post by mil88
Wait, what do you mean by the 'unit 2 calculation' in the Mn2(CO)10 question?

Oxidation number I guess
Original post by AvWOW
Oxidation number I guess

But why is it 0 oxidation number?
Is this thread referring to gce or ial?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mil88
But why is it 0 oxidation number?

Carbon monoxide ligand is neutral
Original post by jonzza_81
My advice would be to make sure you really understand the chemistry that's going on behind what you learn. For example, if there's an important reaction you need to know, don't just memorise the reaction scheme, see if you understand why that reaction is going the way it is. Sorry if that sounds a bit vague.

For all the nitty gritty bits of factual recall/equations/defenitions I find the best revision technique is to put as much as possible of what you need to know onto flashcards, they don't have to be pretty, but have a question/topic heading/word to define on one side and the answer/info/definition on the other. Then put them all in a big pile and go though them, separating them into a pile of ones you can do first time, and one's you can't. Then once you've done them all pick up the pile of one's you couldn't do and repeat the whole process. Keep doing this until the "couldn't do" pile is empty. Then pick up your "could do" pile and work through the whole thing again.
Everyone learns in different ways but this really worked for me.

Thank you:smile:
i like to make flash cards using goconqr, and of course, understanding is the best way to learn :biggrin:
Original post by Lilly1234567890
Is this thread referring to gce or ial?

Posted from TSR Mobile

IAL:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest