The Student Room Group

AS AQA Geography GEOG1 17th and GEOG2 20th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by larj19
For question 2 of skills, how many forms of primary data do we need to know in full, Can I get away with only knowing one or two in full detail (advantages, disadvantages in order to evaluate/justify) :smile:

Yes! As long as you know one WELL you will be fine
Original post by ChapMed
Am I the only one that thought Cold environments was really difficult. I do Health, population, rivers and Cold environments, and they all seemed fairly straight forward except CE.
The 15 marker in particular seemed standard at first glance but was worded very weirdly I thought... How did people answer it?

I completely agree!!!! Basically i answered the question by discussing the issues with recent developments in Antarctica such as tourism, fishing ect then i realised that you probably need to use the quote they gave so i summarised it at the end and linked the quote to how the developments are having to be more sustainable recently - no idea if that's right
Reply 702
Original post by poppy_riley
I completely agree!!!! Basically i answered the question by discussing the issues with recent developments in Antarctica such as tourism, fishing ect then i realised that you probably need to use the quote they gave so i summarised it at the end and linked the quote to how the developments are having to be more sustainable recently - no idea if that's right

I compared past and present developments, concluding that recent developments are far more sustainable however due to Antarctica's fragility, development will never be completely sustainable and damage to Antarctica is inevitable
Reply 703
Anybody got any useful resources for Unit 2?
Original post by tmifan
Anybody got any useful resources for Unit 2?

Usually its....
State the aim of your investigation, and the geographical theory / concept it was assessingDraw a sketch map of the area (here's one I made earlier)Why did you choose this location?What were the risks involved, and what risk assessments were carried out in advance of the trip?Primary and secondary sources of data - what are they, and give examples from your enquiryQualitative and quantitative data - what are they, and give examples from your enquiryMethod of data collection - describe and justifyData presentation technique - describe and justify (not just 'quick and easy to draw!')Data analysis technique - did you use Spearman's rank, mean, mode or something? Why? What did it show?Evaluating your enquiry - the successes of your data collection, and the resultsImproving your enquiry - what would you do differently if you did it again? Relate to the evaluation!What have you learnt? What else could you investigate off the back of the fieldwork?(Use of ICT - where did you use it, and if not, how could you use it?)
Cheeky af question now!!
Does anyone know any good fieldwork investigation notes for a river study? Looking back at mine from last year (I'm just retaking this unit!) I can see why I did awfully - but I can't go and collect new results now :frown:
Thank you guyss
Original post by PeaceyBoy
Anyone know how I would answer "Explain how you devised your aim" for unit 2, sounds obvious but I just can't get my head around it haha

Explain the model behind your aim, for example the Bradshaw model for rivers fieldwork. It's basically asking you to explain the geography behind why you created this aim eg. investigating channel characteristics is what my college was doing.
Reply 707
For unit 2, we won't need to know about landforms or case studies right ?
Original post by L1lly
For unit 2, we won't need to know about landforms or case studies right ?

no you do not need to learn about landforms but we need to know general knowledge and be able to apply it to any question. for question two of unit 2 you have to answer questions on your fieldwork that you have carried out.
Does anyone have an exemplar unit 2 paper- perhaps one that achieved full marks or very close would be much appreciated- that they would be willing to upload on here???
For the fieldwork i investigated how a river changes downstream - however my teacher said to focus on velocity and Bradshaw's theory....

So if the question was 'state the aim of your fieldwork enquiry how should I word my answer??

My fieldwork sounds similar to yours and this is what I wrote for a similar question (Jan 2011):

Describe the purpose of your fieldwork enquiry (5 marks)

The purpose of my fieldwork was to investigate how fluvial characteristics changed downstream at the River Tillingbourne. We chose to investigate solely how the velocity changes as distance from the source increase, and our hypothesis was “As distance from the river source increases, the velocity will also increase”. The null hypothesis was “there is no relationship between distance from the river source and velocity”.

The basis for my enquiry was the Bradshaw model. This is a conceptual diagram that suggests how fluvial characteristics vary downstream. It is made up of 8 triangles, which show whether or not the characteristic increases or decreases downstream by increasing or decreasing in width.
The 5 fluvial characteristics that INCREASE downstream are:
- Occupied channel width
- Depth
- Discharge
- Volume of load
- Velocity
The 3 fluvial characteristics that DECREASE downstream are:
- Load size
- Channel bed roughness
- Channel gradient

According to the model, the velocity of the river Tillingbourne should increase as I travel further from the source.
Original post by MeganLittle98
My fieldwork sounds similar to yours and this is what I wrote for a similar question (Jan 2011):

Describe the purpose of your fieldwork enquiry (5 marks)

The purpose of my fieldwork was to investigate how fluvial characteristics changed downstream at the River Tillingbourne. We chose to investigate solely how the velocity changes as distance from the source increase, and our hypothesis was “As distance from the river source increases, the velocity will also increase”. The null hypothesis was “there is no relationship between distance from the river source and velocity”.

The basis for my enquiry was the Bradshaw model. This is a conceptual diagram that suggests how fluvial characteristics vary downstream. It is made up of 8 triangles, which show whether or not the characteristic increases or decreases downstream by increasing or decreasing in width.
The 5 fluvial characteristics that INCREASE downstream are:
- Occupied channel width
- Depth
- Discharge
- Volume of load
- Velocity
The 3 fluvial characteristics that DECREASE downstream are:
- Load size
- Channel bed roughness
- Channel gradient

According to the model, the velocity of the river Tillingbourne should increase as I travel further from the source.

Thank you so much!! Also for data analysis my teacher said we can refer to Spearmans rank or a scatter graph, Spearmans rank confuses me and I don't know how to talk about it if the question was something like "Outline and justify the use of one or more techniques used to analyse your results" ??
Thank you so much!! Also for data analysis my teacher said we can refer to Spearmans rank or a scatter graph, Spearmans rank confuses me and I don't know how to talk about it if the question was something like "Outline and justify the use of one or more techniques used to analyse your results" ??

You basically just have to say what it is (Spearman's rank is a statistical test used to determine the statistical significance of your data correlation, if any). Then I would very briefly say how I did it, explaining the use of the formula, and if you can remember it maybe state your Spearman's rank value that you got when you did it? The last part (justify) you should basically explain why you used it and why it was helpful. For example, I said in my practice answer things like "it clarifies whether or not my data correlation was by chance, or if it was statistically significant. This then ensured that I accurately concluded my investigation as it prevented me from falsely believing my data had a correlation".

This may not be correct but this is what sort of thing I would say!
Is there a specification for unit 2 on what we need to know for our investigation?
If I were to not get the grade I was hoping for in UNIT 1 (May 2016), is it still possible to retake it again next year with the same spec? (May 2017) Even though the spec is changing for September 2016?
Original post by jackbliverpool
If I were to not get the grade I was hoping for in UNIT 1 (May 2016), is it still possible to retake it again next year with the same spec? (May 2017) Even though the spec is changing for September 2016?

Yes, it is, I have spent a while looking over this following the poor performance of my maths exam yesterday. All AS and A-level legacy papers will be available for resits next year, fortunately.
Original post by Kingal001
Yes, it is, I have spent a while looking over this following the poor performance of my maths exam yesterday. All AS and A-level legacy papers will be available for resits next year, fortunately.

Probably sounds like a silly question, but what is a legacy paper? I'm assuming they're papers they come up with from the old spec for people (possibly me) who may have to retake?
Probably sounds like a silly question, but what is a legacy paper? I'm assuming they're papers they come up with from the old spec for people (possibly me) who may have to retake?

Legacy papers are all the subjects that have not yet transitioned into the new A-level system and so still have AS exams- like geography and also maths. Next year I believe there will no longer be any legacy papers, which is what led to my worry, but luckily legacy resits have been made available for 2017.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MeganLittle98
Then I would very briefly say how I did it, explaining the use of the formula, and if you can remember it maybe state your Spearman's rank value that you got when you did it?!

Would we have to remember and write down the entire Spearman's Rank formula and method? Or just the general gist of it?
So, for example could I just say that 'the calculation of Spearman's Rank involves ranking two sets of data and then working out the differences between them.'?

yeah but there's a chance you'll be resitting with people who get B's this year and want A's, and shift grade boundaries because it'll only be year 13 taking that paper... no year 12's... so it'll be a lot harder
of course you'll have people who failed too, though :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending