The Student Room Group

IB options

Hi guys,

I am choosing to do HL Maths, Economics and Chinese B
and SL Physics, Chemistry and Langlit

I was wondering if these options would be sufficient or ideal for me to go into top Law Schools or not. I do appreciate any advice as I still have time to change my options.

Also, what subjects or course would I be eligible or able to take in Top Universities if I do take the above options?

Furthermore, since I am from Hong Kong, would I be discredited if I take higher Chinese B? Even thought my native language is English?

Thanks in advance and appreciate any advice! :smile:
Original post by Etank
Hi guys,

I am choosing to do HL Maths, Economics and Chinese B
and SL Physics, Chemistry and Langlit

I was wondering if these options would be sufficient or ideal for me to go into top Law Schools or not. I do appreciate any advice as I still have time to change my options.

Also, what subjects or course would I be eligible or able to take in Top Universities if I do take the above options?

Furthermore, since I am from Hong Kong, would I be discredited if I take higher Chinese B? Even thought my native language is English?

Thanks in advance and appreciate any advice! :smile:

Hello fellow Hong Konger!

There was this girl in the year above mine who is a native english speaker and took HL Chinese and got rejected from LSE but accepted into Cambridge for law. Word is that LSE rejected her because she had a Chinese surname and they didnt think she challenged herself enough by taking HL Chinese. If she had an english last name things would probably be different. It seems really unfair that you get rejected because of your surname sounds chinese despite being a native english speaker.

To answer your question, I would say it depends on your chinese background and the university you apply to.

Hope that helped
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Hey!

Thanks for replying, and yes that helped! Also, I was wondering if you know what your friend took in IB and her result such that she was accepted to Cambridge. Its fine if you don't, I'm just curious :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by Etank
Hey!

Thanks for replying, and yes that helped! Also, I was wondering if you know what your friend took in IB and her result such that she was accepted to Cambridge. Its fine if you don't, I'm just curious :smile:

Thanks!

I'm not really sure as she's just some girl who is in the year above mine but I suppose it's somewhere in the vicinity of 44-45.

btw do you go to an ESF school?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Ohhh i see. And yep I go to an ESF school.
I would have assumed that due to an ESF schools's experience with IB they would have cleared your doubts.

Anyways, have you considered taking 4 HLs? I would recommend you to do so as you can drop a subject down to SL if the work load gets too much for you to handle.

Glad to help
Reply 6
Original post by jaichandak
I would have assumed that due to an ESF schools's experience with IB they would have cleared your doubts.

Anyways, have you considered taking 4 HLs? I would recommend you to do so as you can drop a subject down to SL if the work load gets too much for you to handle.

Glad to help

Yep, Im thinking about that. I might do Chem HL as my 4th HL subject and give it a try.
Original post by jaichandak
Hello fellow Hong Konger!

There was this girl in the year above mine who is a native english speaker and took HL Chinese and got rejected from LSE but accepted into Cambridge for law. Word is that LSE rejected her because she had a Chinese surname and they didnt think she challenged herself enough by taking HL Chinese. If she had an english last name things would probably be different. It seems really unfair that you get rejected because of your surname sounds chinese despite being a native english speaker.

To answer your question, I would say it depends on your chinese background and the university you apply to.

Hope that helped

it's Chinese B not Chinese A that they want to take.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending